The meek or the ruthless: who prevails in the end?

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 09:17 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
First, I pointed out that the biggest thing one can think off (classical claim) has to include the set of "god" and the set of the Universe. Both sets can be seen has time being an "emergent property", phenomena, not a fundamental feature of Reality.

Second I replied to your rebuttal, if there is any detail about your personal view of "god" that I am not aware of, bring it up!

You already did it for me. I never claimed and have repeatedly denied that I wish to be associated with 'classical claims'. Stick to my claims when critiquing them.

And I certainly don’t believe that claptrap about 'emergent properties'.
It’s like saying the incredible flavor of this prize winning recipe is merely an 'emergent property' of the ingredients. From a materialists' POV, it is a true statement. But it ignores the mind behind it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 09:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Look I don't want to fight you you seem a nice guy, I just don't get your POV...and I wish you could clarify it better by addressing all the points I raised so far, but you didn't! Anyway, best we leave as is...I am tired of all the internet "I win" bulshit in which no one is concerned with getting to the bottom of the matter at hand but saving face...not my thing, and frankly, I am getting too old for that swing...this is why I mostly post videos these days and let people do what they want with the information.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 10:15 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
No fight here, just some frustration that you seem to be addressing “you guys” [mainstream religion] rather than myself. For the most part I agree with your critique of religion's theology.

The only criticism I have with what you’ve said is the part about 'emergence' which I addressed last time. I’ve never seen something as simple as even a circle of rocks just 'emerging' by itself, let alone the universe or 'life'.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 10:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Oh, about that 'too old' for that stuff, me too. My best estimate is I’ve got about two years max to go here.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 10:57 am
@Leadfoot,
Nah I refuse to accept that, shape up man, I like to have you around! Wink
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 11:35 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thanks man, like having you around here too.
I’d hang around longer but my last go-round on the operating table didn’t go well. General health and genetics says I could easily last another twenty five years but when my endurance falls below the point where I can take care of myself, I will arrange my own exit.
It’s been a hell of a ride, no regrets.

Oh ****, I gotta stop this old person spiel I’m on Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 03:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
I admire your attitude.
Quote:
It’s been a hell of a ride, no regrets.
That's the same way I feel about my short life on this planet. Not complaining about the length, because I've accomplished much more than I could have ever dreamed of as a young man.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Roger that CI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
If you don't mind, and you can ignore my question, but what was your best accomplishment(s) that you didn't expect when you were young?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2019 11:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Happy to answer, even though it makes me sound like the young egotistical fool I probably was.
The accomplishment I most wanted but did not expect to happen was to figure out what All This (life, universe, everything) is for. I was pleasantly surprised.

Great question though. What was yours CI?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 10:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Free will is limited by the environment in which the individual lives. Our limits are dictated by our laws, parents, peers, education, and financial means.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 12:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Free will is never limited. It may be influenced and made difficult, but everyone is ultimately free to express their will if they have courage.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 02:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
CI's free will concept must be why he didn’t wanna share his greatest accomplishment.
Just didn’t think he was free to go there maybe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 03:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It may be influenced and made difficult, but everyone is ultimately free to express their will if they have courage.
Knit picky. I wrote,
Quote:
Free will is limited by the environment in which the individual lives. Our limits are dictated by our laws, parents, peers, education, and financial means.
What's the difference? Define "courage?"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do I have to explain the definition of "limit"?

Free will is only "limited" by a person's willingness to exercise it. AKA their courage.

Too often people shy from it because they fear the reaction of people like you.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
tsk, tsk, tsk.........it only that were true. But it's not, it's just animus.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2019 08:15 am
@glitterbag,
Some of us prefer passion to stupor.
I know it can be upsetting to some, all that commotion over mere ideas.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2019 10:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Do I have to explain the definition of "limit"?
Yes. Please do.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Most of the members are advanced in years and really none of us knows how long we might have. Some members are still nursing grudges about discussions that occurred 10 or more years ago. Personally I though CI asked an interesting question, I tried narrowing down ‘unexpected accomplishments’ , and I don’t know where to start. Then again, when I was a young girl, I had very narrow expectations of what could be accomplished by women. When I first joined DOD women couldn’t take overseas assignments...the reason given was there were no ladies rooms at the sites. Women in the military were discharged if they were pregnant, then they were allowed to remain until the baby was born. I remember asking a Gunny if the marines had maternity uniforms and the whole office erupted in laughter at the absurdity of my question.

I’m not trying make a ‘feminist’ point, that was just how things were at the time. But when the draft ended, there were fewer qualified military available to fill the Security Service positions. That’s when the agency began hiring more women with language, math, analysis and other skills. Women began filling positions that were traditionally held by men..........that opened the door to opportunities many of us never thought possible. Anyhow, I found it very interesting.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:36 am
@glitterbag,
I am in full agreement about the absurdity of society's attitudes regarding the sexes.
I wish it was limited to just that.
0 Replies