Pitter

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:06 pm
Somehow the day after I installed windows 10 Yandex appeared as an installed program on my computer. I uninstalled it following the usual uninstall method but later a window popped up saying six componants of Yandex were not successfully uninstalled. It is an awful pain as some pages come up in Russian including when I try to install Mozzila Firefox. I have Avast virus protection and I get messages offering a "clean up" of unwanted things on my computer for the price of $34.95. I will do it if Avast will really eliminate the remaining Yandex components but I don't want to spend the money only to find the damned things are still on my computer. Any recomendacions about how to approach this?

roger

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:20 pm
@Pitter,
Virus protection that will clean it up for $35.00? I would certainly not renew that protection. Maybe you can get different software that will clean it up for free?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:24 pm
@Pitter,
Most of the time you should not have to pay anything to secure your computer. The one exception is the ransom ware that encrypts your data and requires a payment to get the unencryption key (if you have no backups and really want that data accepting the blackmail is usually the only way to get it in that case).

One thing you can do that will almost always ensure that your computer is secure (of any such malware) is to backup your files (only files, not programs etc) that you care about and then format the computer and reinstall Windows.
Pitter

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 06:02 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you I guess I better do the backup and reinstall. I assume I'll have to reinstall all the programs I use.
rhymer

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 07:27 am
@Pitter,
Just do a google search for "eliminate yandex" and click on most any of the websites found - I tried the first one and that looks good!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 07:39 am
I hope President Trump builds a wall between Us and this nation of Yandex
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:09 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

I hope President Trump builds a wall between Us and this nation of Yandex

I Bing-ed it. Yandex is a Russian site. Perhaps we do need a wall between US and Yandex.

Which brings me to the most important question, why in the heck would you (Pitter) download a freaking Russian program not related to Microsoft??
djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Torrent copy of Windows?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Yandex is the 4th largest search engine worldwide but offers a lot of other services as well
djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
wait, there's something bigger than Ask Jeeves

Unpossible
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
But Yandex has nothing to do with Microsoft. If Pitter is trying to get an illegal and FREE copy of Windows because this Yandex is giving it away, something reeks of rotten fish. I'm not going to place my trust in a Russian search engine (regardless if this is a corporate sanction transaction or some kind of phishing attempt in Yandex's name... the more likely of the two).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 01:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yandex had signed a strategic cooperation agreement with Microsoft, under which users in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine (and a couple more countries) will be offered Yandex when upgrading to Windows 10. You can get it on some new computers/laptops/notebooks here in Germany as well. (It's very popular here, btw, especially, because they have [bought it a few years ago] a software, which transform automatically in Cyrillic letters.])
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:31 am
Thank you for all of the replies. I haven't got rid of it but am making progress in so far as I was able to disable it in "tools". I haven't tried up loading Firefox yet though. Before despite clicking English, USA etc it would only appear in Russian.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 11:47 am
@Pitter,
That's the way to be sure you cleaned everything if it was compromised, but you should also try other solutions beforehand if it's not.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 11:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Windows 10 is free (legally).
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 12:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Windows 10 is free (legally).

Up to 29 July 2016, if you have a qualifying existing valid installation of Windows 7 or 8.1. It's too late to join the Insider Program and get an Insider build.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:05 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Yep, but it's worth noting that even pirated versions qualify for the free upgrade. Microsoft wants people on Windows 10 more than it needs the profits from the sales.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
even pirated versions qualify for the free upgrade

Yes, the upgrade will be performed, but the resulting Windows 10 installation will be marked as "non-genuine" and will have certain limitations - desktop will turn to black every 60 minutes, a prominent "This Windows installation is not genuine" banner on the desktop, nag messages, exhortations to buy a Windows license, etc. While critical security updates are offered to pirated copies, optional updates are not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:52 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I stand corrected in that case, I did not know that any updates were being denied to those users.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 03:12 pm
Well, if a person has a qualifying Windows version (Windows 7 or 8.1), whether or not it is legal, they will be able to upgrade that to Windows 10 without payment, but if the previous Windows non-genuine, then the Windows 10 that they end up with will also be non-genuine, and will be crippled compared with a genuinely licensed installation.