teen bedroom wall color help

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Reference to Home Improvement

Im painting my room Marbelded ZViolet (a light purple ) if you still dont understand what color it is look it up somewhere lol sorry. well im painting my ceiling too but i dunno what color matches my wall color. What color matches a light purpl?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,751 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:10 pm
Typically, if you chose another color from the same paint sample strip you'll be fine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:40 pm
Good advice, boomer. (How've you been? Long time no see.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:18 pm
Hi sozobe - good to see you.

I've been busy, working on about a million things, but doing well. How are you and the sozlet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Good! Just moved! (Wary of taking over loveable's thread, will go see where else you are...)
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
Re: teen bedroom wall color help
loveable1 wrote:
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Reference to Home Improvement

Im painting my room Marbelded ZViolet (a light purple ) if you still dont understand what color it is look it up somewhere lol sorry. well im painting my ceiling too but i dunno what color matches my wall color. What color matches a light purpl?

It is common to use a lighter version of the wall color on the ceiling. However, if you're the radical type (and with purple walls I might think you are), you might want to look to a complementary color.

A complement will be opposite on the color wheel. E.g.: Certain purples look great with certain greens or yellows. Certain blues look good with certain oranges.

Also be sure to consider lighting. The lighting in your room will TOTALLY affect how your colors look. IOW, what the swatches look like under the mercury lamps in the store is very different from the incandescent and natural lighting in your room.

Also, color will affect your mood. If you want a nice peaceful space for reading/studying, then yellow or red are probably not the best choices.

Also, think about how bright or spacious you want your room. Brighter colors will improve overall lighting, and make the room seem bigger. Darker colors will make the room seem smaller.

General Tsao
0 Replies

Shosh24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:15 pm
I would suggest that you use a cream color or something in that family. By doing this you will create the illusion that your ceiling is higher than it really is. If you have any sort of trim such as kick boards you should paint in the same color as your ceiling, or something 1 to 2 shades darker. This creates a frame of sorts around the color. This also will help you avoid the feeling of being in Barneys stomach.
0 Replies

Shosh24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:18 pm
Oh yeah you should use either an eggshell or satin finish this way it softens the room and makes it feel warm.
0 Replies