Urban Legends

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:22 pm
There is so much information out there and the truth can seem very silly and the very silly can seem to be the truth. We have all been fooled at least once.

In Texas, especially North East Texas folks claim that they won WWII because they supplied oil to the troops. What do you think - legend or fact?

What is your favorite urban legend or your favorite fact?

What Is An Urban Legend

Urban Legends
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,221 • Replies: 43
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:15 pm
I recall when I was pretty young in S. Texas there was Big Bird. It was a really tall bird folks kept 'seeing'. Eventually sightings trailed off and no one has seen it in a long long time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:18 pm
kinda like a jackalope edgar?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:45 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nPdGxJ2eVhwC:www.csicop.org/skeptiseum/jackalope.JPG

Who says there are no such things as jakalopes in Texas?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:49 pm
JD: damn another myth shot down with seeing is believing!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:12 pm
bIG bIRD WAS SIX FEET TALL.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:24 pm
"if you wanna be a bird, it won't take much to get you up there but when you come down be sure to land on your feet"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:04 pm
The urban legend concerning Jane Fonda was timely and very tough reading. I believe she was extremely naive and blinded by uncritical idealism to do and say those things, not motivaed consciously to be a traitor, although in the final end it is hard to define it as anything else.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:14 pm
interesting edgar; i have often wondered about Jane and never really had an opinion one way or another. she did seem like a kind and decent person who perhaps found herself is circumstances beyond her ken.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:45 pm
In 1970 I was able to attend the road show she and Donald Southerland put together with Dick Gregory. I was fun and extremely anti Viet Nam. I remember one joke but not who told it. Are you ready I am awful with jokes - How can you tell which members of the audience are FBI and DIA.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:50 pm
i'll bite. how?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:07 pm
Polished sandals.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:18 pm
Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:22 pm
btw, i'm an urban legend. i don't really exist, what you are now reading is a figment of your imagination.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:48 pm
You know I always thought that but was not sure. The Legend of Urban Guam you must be.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
The Procter and Gamble rumor that their logo is a Satanic symbol keeps cropping up every few years.

There was a rumor once that McDonald's was using worms in their burgers instead of beef to save money. (by the way, the truth is that worms cost more per pound than beef)

There was another rumor about a fast food restaurant- was it Wendy's? that said that 10 cents out of every dollar was being paid to either the church of Satan or the Moonies, depending on where you heard it.

I know a guy who knows a guy who was dating this girl whose cousin's boss's son-in-law really truly found a sugar-frosted human finger in a box of Lucky Charms.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 10:53 am
Equus: aka an informed source
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:51 am
I recall in my memory that in mid-'70s there was a rabidly anti-American and rather gloomy urban legend in the former USSR. People believed that the CIA agents pretending being tourists distributed to the Soviet kids chewing gum infested with Treponema pallidumTreponema pallidum was extremely sensitive to desiccation (unlike anthrax germs it cannot transform itself into spores), hence it had no chances to survive inside gum for more than several seconds. But many people, including adults, considered this being a truth...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:18 pm
Wow steissd how scary. It is amazing what we all used to believe about the USSR.

My Aunt traveled to Russia one summer ago and she just loved it. She took a tour by boat and spent a week in Moscow and one week in St. Petersburg. She is in her 60s and of course has vivid memory of the Cold War but now she tells everyone how wonderful the Russian people are she says they are so warm and friendly and how beautiful the country is.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:13 pm
By the way, despite of this, the Soviet people did not hate Americans the way they hated Germans during the WWII and two-three decades after its end... They believed that Americans were good people having bad leaders. The most unpopular U.S. leader in the USSR (for unknown reasons) was President Ronald W. Reagan.
0 Replies