Olivier5

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:54 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
First as the numbers had been changed/rigged to match the models so there is little point in addressing the issue of the possibilities of future warming of the climate when we do not even have past numbers we can have any faith in.

Okay so you will not believe scientific data on the topuc. Which data do you accept then? What type of empirical evidence do you need to admit that mankind drives the global thermometer up?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 03:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Bill has his own calculations, but he hasn't shared them with us - yet. ..........

Wink
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 04:36 pm
I have no doubt that man is affecting the climate to some extent. But even the high end of predictions don't really alarm me and not just because I won't be around. If the sea level rises a foot or so in the next 100 years, it's not the end of the world. They'd probably want to tear down those shitty beach front condos long before that anyway.

There are and will be answers to replacing fossil fuels as a natural consequence of progress. The chicken little response of politicians and 'greenies' is just drama. There is no 'assault on science'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 04:44 pm
What a clown . . . predictions for sea level rise by the end of the century are running about two meters--that's more than six feet. Bye-bye Miami. Hundreds of millions of people, perhaps more than a billion, will be refugees. Millions and millions of acres of farmland will be underwater.

Yeah, i'm sure pig ignorant holy rollers aren't worried.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:06 pm
Quote:
predictions for sea level rise by the end of the century are running about two meters--that's more than six feet.
What a bullshitter. The predictions are all over the place. They change almost weekly too.
FBM

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've been listening to a program on the radio about an assault on science. (Assault is my term, not what was said in the program.) I happen to agree that there is an anti-science attitude in society. I am interested to know what people here think of the idea.

Maybe they were discussing this book?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/41lhZT8ulmL._SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
According to a report from Yale, it's forecast is a rise in sea water by over three feet by the year 2100.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 04:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
You will possibly take this as a 'head in the sand' response but even if those guys at Yale have the right guess at 3 feet, I'm confident that the people of 2100 will deal with it.

Regardless of who is right about climate change, whatever happens is already baked into the cake. We can and will make progress in replacing fossil fuels but there is nothing short of mass euthanasia or practical fusion power that will make a significant dent in the earth's 'carbon footprint' during the next 50 years. The reason is half and half science and politics. Debating it won't change a thing.
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 05:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Now that's the bullshit, what you claim. This may come as a shock to you, but people may not believe what you say, just because you say it.

From J. Hansen, et al, " "Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2◦C global warming is highly dangerous" in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 2015. (ACP is the journal of the European Geosciences Union):

Quote:
We argue that ice sheets in contact with the ocean are vulnerable to non-linear disintegration in response to ocean warming, and we posit that ice sheet mass loss can be approximated by a doubling time up to sea level rise of at least several meters. Doubling times of 10, 20 or 40 years yield sea level rise of several meters in 50, 100 or 200 years. Paleoclimate data reveal that subsurface ocean warming causes ice shelf melt and ice sheet discharge.

Our climate model exposes amplifying feedbacks in the Southern Ocean that slow Antarctic bottom water formation and increase ocean temperature near ice shelf grounding lines, while cooling the surface ocean and increasing sea ice cover and water column stability. Ocean surface cooling, in the North Atlantic as well as the Southern Ocean, increases tropospheric horizontal temperature gradients, eddy kinetic energy and baroclinicity, which drive more powerful storms.

Note that Hansen and the several other authors are saying a sea level rise of several meters (a meter is 39.37 inches). Most climatologists are saying that model is too extreme, Greg Holland of the National Center for Atmospheric Research not only says that Hansen's claim is extreme, he also say the IPCC estimates are too conservative. So that's why i use two meters.

What have you got--oh yeah, your big mouth.

None of that, of course takes into account the catastrophic effects which will ensue if the West Antarctic ice sheet separates. Knowledgeable people put that event at about 50 to 150 years--or just about the end of the century. That would add two to three meters mean sea level rise to all other estimates, even before the ice melts.

Melting of floating ice shelves around the continent is accelerating, potentially unlocking extra sea level rise from larger ice sheets jammed behind them

If you're going to peddle your bullsh*t here, at least link us to the rightwingnut, holy roller web site at which you "educate" yourself.
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:08 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
If you're going to peddle your bullsh*t here, at least link us to the rightwingnut, holy roller web site at which you "educate" yourself.

Thanks for giving us yours, eh? A newspaper article from the commie-ass Guardian. Kinda funny, though...says there:

Quote:
The new research, published in the journal Science on Thursday, discovered for the first time that ice shelf melt is accelerating.

“What humanity needs to know is what’s the sea level rise in 2100 and the biggest source of uncertainty in that is what’s going to happen to the ice sheets.”...It is unclear whether the loss of ice is directly related to man-made climate change or a cyclical change in ocean currents...The one metre thick layer of sea ice around Antarctica has been expanding in recent decades, which some scientists think is because of increasing polar winds...The loss of ice shelves does not contribute much directly to sea level rise.

How can they say this was just discovered? Al Gore, the creator of the internet, knew this over a decade ago, and said NYC would be underwater by the year 2020, didn't he? Scary, eh kids?

Quote:
The Guardian is a British national daily newspaper. In 1995, KGB defector Oleg Gordievsky identified prominent Guardian editor Richard Gott as one of his agents. While Gott denied that he received cash, he confessed taking benefits from the KGB on a visit to the Soviet Union.

Gordievsky commented on the newspaper: "The KGB loved The Guardian. It was deemed highly susceptible to penetration".

Guardian published a humorous column by Charlie Brooker in its entertainment guide, which appeared to call for the assassination of George W. Bush. This caused some controversy and the paper was forced to issue an apology and remove the article from its website.

In recent decades The Guardian has been accused of biased criticism of Israeli government policy. In December 2003, columnist Julie Burchill cited "striking bias against the state of Israel" as one of the reasons she left the paper for The Times...A leaked report from the European Monitoring Centre on Racism ...the British media's reporting on Israel "is spiced with a tone of animosity, 'as to smell of anti-Semitism' ... This is above all the case with the Guardian and The Independent"...

.A 2015 study found that The Guardian was just as biased as Iranian media (Tehran Times and Fars News Agency) in their coverage of events related to the Iranian nuclear "crisis" in 2012.

Former Guardian features editor Ian Katz stated in 2004 that, "...it is no secret we are a centre-left newspaper...The newspaper's reputation as a platform for liberal and left-wing opinions has led to the use of the epithets "Guardian reader" and "Guardianista" for people holding such views

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

Robert Fisk is employed by The Guardian. Tells ya all ya need to know, right there, eh?
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You will possibly take this as a 'head in the sand' response but even if those guys at Yale have the right guess at 3 feet, I'm confident that the people of 2100 will deal with it.

Ever been down ta Nawlins? You can be standin there on a street corner like, say, Rampart and Canal, and look off to your left. You see a big-ass hill, about two stories high. Then, ya look up to the top of it, and ya see tug boats goin up and down the Mississippi River. They call them hills "levees."
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:33 am
@layman,
Let me ask you the question i asked Bill: What data would be enough to convince you of AGW?

It's a question i ask all deniers. They usually can't come up with a good answer because their denial is NOT fact based but a pure belief.
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:37 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Let me ask you the question i asked Bill: What data would be enough to convince you of AGW?

Well, Ollie, as I recall, your definition of "AGW" is utter devastation of the entire planet and it's inhabitants, far beyond and far worse than scientists predict.

Tell ya what, eh? I'll believe it when I see it.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:49 am
@layman,
Not at all. My sense, my guess, my reasoning at best is that it's gona be pretty bad, but AGW just means anthropogenic global warming. What data could possibly convince you of it?
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:52 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
AGW just means anthropogenic global warming

Really? That's all you mean? Like, for example, the proposition that's man's discharge of CO2 has a warming effect on the climate? I don't think anybody disagrees with that.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:53 am
@layman,
So what is it exactly that everybody disagree about?...
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
From J. Hansen, et al, " "Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2◦C global warming is highly dangerous"

James Hansen? Really? The guy whose "prediction" methods have been thoroughly discredited by both US Congressional Hearings and the National Academy of Sciences? That James Hansen?

Some excerpts from the abstract of an article by Jimmy, et al, in a paper submitted at the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America:

Quote:
we argue that rapid warming in recent decades has been driven mainly by non-CO2 greenhouse gases (GHGs), such as chlorofluorocarbons, CH4, and N2O, not by the products of fossil fuel burning, CO2 and aerosols, the positive and negative climate forcings of which are partially offsetting. The growth rate of non-CO2 GHGs has declined in the past decade.

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/18/9875.long

So it aint mainly CO2 after all, eh, Jimbo? Then why pretend otherwise?

Quote:
In the study by Hansen, he reiterates that: “Our estimates of global climate forcings indicate that it is the non-CO2 GHGs that have caused most observed global warming.”

Yet he then says that regardless of the data his own team uncovered, “this interpretation does not alter the desirability of limiting CO2 emissions.”

Ignoring the empirical data is quite unscientific.

James Hansen was once head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies. His views on man-made global warming have changed over the decades to reflect a near eco-Fascist perspective.

Knowing this, 50 of NASA’s former scientists and astronauts came together to write a formal letter to Charles Bolden, NASA Administrator, demanding that Hansen be prohibited from “including unproven remarks” supporting global warming in the mainstream media, via the NASA website.

Hansen is one of the most vocal of the climate change alarmists.

Considering that he is lying about the effects of man on the earth’s temperature, he is also one of the most prevalent purveyors of propaganda in recent times

https://occupycorporatism.com/eco-fascist-james-hansen-admits-global-warming-is-not-man-made/

Well, ya gotta admit, scary stories, they ROCK, eh!?

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Now that's the bullshit, what you claim. This may come as a shock to you, but people may not believe what you say, just because you say it.
I'm shocked!

But nevertheless, what I said about the next 50 - 100 years, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS, is already baked into the cake of reality and politics.

But consider the attitude of the people like you that believe the dire predictions. If you/they REALLY believed them and that there was something we could do about it, there would not be ANY resistance to nuclear energy and the things we might do to attempt climate modification in the opposite direction. Because in your heart of hearts, you know that you don't know.
layman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:36 am
Quote:
Phil Jones and NOAA had clearly stated that there was no warming in the US.

Quote:
February 04, 1989 Last week, scientists from the United States Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that a study of temperature readings for the contiguous 48 states over the last century showed there had been no significant change in average temperature over that period. Dr. (Phil) Jones said in a telephone interview today that his own results for the 48 states agreed with those findings.

In 1999, Hansen himself said that he didn’t see anything happening in the US.

Quote:
Empirical evidence does not lend much support to the notion that climate is headed precipitately toward more extreme heat and drought. The drought of 1999 covered a smaller area than the 1988 drought, when the Mississippi almost dried up. And 1988 was a temporary inconvenience as compared with repeated droughts during the 1930s “Dust Bowl” that caused an exodus from the prairies, as chronicled in Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath…..in the U.S. there has been little temperature change in the past 50 years, the time of rapidly increasing greenhouse gases — in fact, there was a slight cooling throughout much of the country.

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/hansen-the-climate-chiropractor/

Thereafter, Jimmy had to cook the books a little to create the "hockey stick" graph he decided he wanted, eh?:

Quote:
Need your climate adjusted? – call Dr. James Hansen at GISS. Below is a chronology of the destruction and politicization of the US and global temperature record. The Northern Hemisphere used to have a broken hockey stick problem. According to the National Academy Of Sciences in 1975, the hemisphere had cooled 0.7C since the 1930s, and was colder than it was at the turn of century.

Same source.

Read it for yourself, Ollie, if you care to (I'm sure you don't).
FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 09:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
people like you that believe

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/hehe.gif At least there's demonstrable evidence to support the climate change predictions. Some people try to convince others to believe in invisible, undetectable thingies for which there is no demonstrable evidence at all. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/teaemoticonbygmintyfresxa4.gif