Definition of Intellectuals

incogni

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 03:58 pm
Intellectuals are people who believe that ideas are of more importance than values.
That is to say, their own ideas and other people's values.

--Gerald Brenan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,229 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:00 pm
I shall cross-stitch this on a pillow, posthaste.

Love it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:02 pm
I think the quote makes little sense.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
I think means intellectuals are so snooty and elitist, they think they should make the decisions for everyone else...

sozobe, what do you say to that?

(An evil trick, I know...)

As my counterpart in crime states on the following post. Originally, this post said, "I think its a conservative thing." sozobe's evil retort was "Precisely." Obviously, sh had dealt me a zing, which I could not bear. I used the edit button to set her up, and she did same. Fearing what havoc she may bring on my head all over the Board, with her danged superior intellect, I said, "Uncle."
Me thinks Craven took offense at my seemingly serious posttoastie. His ill comments are to be seen a few posts down. SSsshhh. Don't tell him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:05 pm
Lash Goth wrote:
I think that it means that conservatives delight in dumping on people who actually think for themselves, and tend to use ungrammatical, illogical "jokes" to do it.

Why, I completely agree! Very Happy

Note to any latecomers who may be confused -- Lash's post above was originally "I think it's a conservative thing." This post was originally "Precisely! Wink"
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:23 pm
Quote:
Definition of Intellectuals

ANSWER:

Them!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:04 pm
Sozobe: there is coffee ALL OVER the wall Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:08 pm
Oh, you wacky righties and your anti-intellectualism! (Rampant in many corners of American society, really, as appeals to authority are discounted in favor of what people think or, worse, "feel" is right. Listening to some people, you'd think the worst thing you could do to make a decision about something is study it. And, DAMN IT, how come those bastards at UPS NEVER apologize in any way when they make a mistake and waste your time!! Excuse me, that's not at all relevant.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:26 pm
in·tel·lec·tu·al (ĭn'tl-ĕk'chū-əl)
adj.

Of or relating to the intellect.
Rational rather than emotional.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:36 pm
Intellectuals are people who believe that ideas are of more importance than values.

--Gerald Brenan

Red is good.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:39 pm

--Gerald Brenan

Emphasis is good.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:40 pm
Hmmmmmmmm. Is that Marlboro red, the new Winston red, Budweiser red, or Coca-Cola red? (Red is a great packaging color. Good choice, Lash...)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:42 pm
that's leftist pink and righty red
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:46 pm
I choose Bud red.

That Buds for you, patiodog. Did you see my evil mayhem further up on the thread. Got that from Lee Atwater.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:50 pm
Oh, now that's low. And there are some in power who'd probably consider it a great subterfuge (once they figgered out that wasn't a french sandwich).
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:57 pm
Alas and alack. I do believe I will be targeted for retribution by sozobe. This is bad because she's more clever than me.

I am, after all, one of those simpleton conservatives. And she is a dreaded intelleckshull.
Damn the luck.

(Don't tell her.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:58 pm
(I likely won't have to. For what it's worth, I wouldn't take her on, either, and we're generally on the same side.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:04 pm
Not that I would ever retribute, ya know.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:06 pm
This is like one of those really scary horror movies, when the monster just toys with the victim, as she awaits her slow, painful death.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:09 pm
sozobe wrote:
Lash Goth wrote:
I think that it means that conservatives delight in dumping on people who actually think for themselves, and tend to use ungrammatical, illogical "jokes" to do it.

Why, I completely agree! Very Happy

I must say that ungrammatical and "jokes"---as if they aren't funny is quite beyond the pale....pail...?
0 Replies