Hand Colored Gravure

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:28 am
I have two pictures that I am wondering about, both signed by a man named Roberts. They are lovely things done in oils. I understand the process of intaglio, but am not certain of the worth of these two pictures. Anyone have any knowledge of such? I've asked the question before, but have never really gotten a satisfactory answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,673 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
No clue, but just thought I'd post. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:11 am
Well, Cav. Bet you know the difference between intaglio and seraglio. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
Hmm...what a 'relief' I have no 'harem'.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:33 am
gravure and intaglio - it sounds as though you have a hand coloured etching?

etchings are made with a metal plate that the artist covers with wax, draws into and then puts the plate in an acid bath to etch the marks deeper, there are other things that can be done to add tone (shades of grey to black in solid areas).,

The plate is cleaned, inked up and printed by putting it through a press (sort of like a large mangle with a flat metal bed), this is usually a monochrome print but a little colour can be added or it can be hand coloured after printing. The ink is held by the etched marks and these print slightly raised - hence intaglio.

A number of prints can be made and should be number ie 1/20, 2/20 - the second figure showing the edition size.

I don't know if this is any help at all but hope so

You may well know all this.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
Vivien, Great explanation and thank you. I knew the process but just wondered about the value without having the pictures appraised.

Info:

Title: Handcolored Gravure
Artist: EW Roberts
U.S Print No. 603

Both pictures are landscapes.

The frames are probably worth more than the picture, since they are gold leaf.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:26 pm
Letty, why don't you show us a picture?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:31 pm
stuh, I have no idea how to post pictures here, my friend. I suspect that Montana could do it for me, if I use a disposable camera and get a disk made. That would take some time.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:40 pm
that's too bad

if you had a way to get the picture on your computer I could help you get it online...I am a computer science major after all.

but you need to get it on your computer first.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
That's right, stuh. I forgot that you were a techie. Well, I'm not certain how to get it on my computer, either. Do you mean a digital camera? UhOh!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
you would need a digital camera or scanner
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
Don't have either one, stuh. My neighbor across the street did some for me as did my friend here, but now they both have so many problems on their hands, I am reluctant to ask. I'll see what I can do in the near future.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
Hoorah! I finally learned how to do attachments. I have those pictures as we speak.

Hey, stuh, may I send them to you? I'm sort of excited about learning.
0 Replies