25
   

Critical thinking on the existence of God

 
 
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:58 am
Unrelated to the previous post:

0 Replies
 
layman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:01 am
https://41.media.tumblr.com/7a71ca9c174d82a6f36922bfb1bbe645/tumblr_n8v6snImBJ1rtynt1o1_500.jpg
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:10 am
@Leadfoot,
Now, you're writing this:

Leadfoot wrote:
It wasn't an 'atheist talk' and he didn't identify himself as an atheist.


While earlier . . .

You wrote:
I'm not sure but wasn't it you who posted the link to that brilliant atheist giving the talk to some graduating class?


Even someone as slow and dull-witted as you seem to be should be able to understand why a reasonable person would characterize that as an atheist talk. But you just like to argue, don't you . . . even though you're rather clumsy at the exercise.
0
I'm not in fear of theist, you snide son of a bitch, but i understand how dangerous they are. I don't live my life in fear of poisonous snakes, either, but i'm aware that they are dangerous. Really, you have the rhetorical syle of some high school bully-wannabe.

Then we are treated to more of your puerile idiotic sneers. It's like talking to some loud-mouthed, poorly educated, ill-informed teenager. I don't think i'm going to waste time on you any longer, clown. Have a crumby life, and don't bother to write.
layman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:14 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
you snide son of a bitch...I don't think i'm going to waste time on you any longer, clown. Have a crumby life, and don't bother to write.

Really, you have the rhetorical syle of some high school bully-wannabe.


VICTIMIZED, yet again, sho nuff!
Leadfoot
 
  0  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:21 am
@FBM,
That's a good question.

If atheists are right, I think our lives would be meaningless because we will not have built anything that lasts. Not machines, not art, not even philosophies.

Even if we are remembered for a time, write great books, have our name inscribed on monuments or university walls, eventually they will be forgotten or their meaning misunderstood. Besides, a memory would be a poor substitute for meaning. And descendants? Just the mear biological products of our mating instinct.

Given enough time, the sun will run out of hydrogen and swallow the earth in its red giant phase. If we escape to other stars their fate is also sealed in entropy. Any trace or memory of us will be gone.

And most of all, any inkling that within us burned something that ought to go on will no longer exist.
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:40 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm not in fear of theist, you snide son of a bitch, but i understand how dangerous they are. I don't live my life in fear of poisonous snakes, either, but i'm aware that they are dangerous. Really, you have the rhetorical syle of some high school bully-wannabe.
I eagerly await your insightful posts on the dangers of snakes...
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 10:19 am
We are already five pages into this thing. When does the critical thinking on the existence of God start?
neologist
 
  3  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Already happened.

And Sus has gone home.
0 Replies
 
mark noble
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:19 pm
@Susmariosep,
Ok, I'll play.

Define 'Atheist'?

Then Define 'God'.

Then look in the mirror and define 'You'.

Once you've done so - remove your head from your arse and join the rest of us, who know fuckall about fuckall.

And, when you TRULY accept that you know Nothing - You will know Everything...

0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:07 pm
@Susmariosep,
Quote:
God in concept is the creator and operator of the universe and of everything with a beginning.


The "operator" is the tricky part.

I don't accept this.

Yes the creator, but not the operator, the pilot, the manager.

The launcher.

0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:09 pm
@layman,
You now have joined Setanta's "SNIDE"

Welcome
FBM
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

That's a good question.

If atheists are right, I think our lives would be meaningless because we will not have built anything that lasts. Not machines, not art, not even philosophies.

Even if we are remembered for a time, write great books, have our name inscribed on monuments or university walls, eventually they will be forgotten or their meaning misunderstood. Besides, a memory would be a poor substitute for meaning. And descendants? Just the mear biological products of our mating instinct.

Given enough time, the sun will run out of hydrogen and swallow the earth in its red giant phase. If we escape to other stars their fate is also sealed in entropy. Any trace or memory of us will be gone.

And most of all, any inkling that within us burned something that ought to go on will no longer exist.


So your faith is essentially fear-driven? I don't see anything that prevents people from creating/positing their own meaning to life, their own reason for living. I keep going merely because I woke up this morning. I don't need anything more than that. Particularly not an escapist fantasy. The prospect of an eternal bliss in some unseen, supernatural heaven is a relatively new invention, and it is not universal. There are lots of people who don't believe in an afterlife, and some of them are theists. It takes balls to face the facts, I guess.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:57 pm
Amen . . . so to speak . . .
0 Replies
 
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:36 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
So your faith is essentially fear-driven?
Quote:
Really? You read that as me being afraid of the sun burning out and the universe going cold?

Read the last sentence again. If that was not there, I'd stoically accept your facts if they were true.
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
And most of all, any inkling that within us burned something that ought to go on will no longer exist.


Still looks fear-based. You're afraid of not being, looks like. Or maybe not being important enough to the universe? Help me understand what you mean here.
layman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You now have joined Setanta's "SNIDE"


The poor boy gets hisself VICTIMIZED 24/7, eh? It's just beyond the pale, I tellya!:

http://able2know.org/topic/169651-8#post-4552129
0 Replies
 
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:24 pm
@FBM,
Quote:


Still looks fear-based. You're afraid of not being, looks like. Or maybe not being important enough to the universe? Help me understand what you mean here.
Not fear, not self importance. To understand, take yourself completely out of the equation if necessary. Have you never seen anything, anywhere, in a book, a song, a work of any kind, or in another human being, that you felt would be a crime against the universe if it passed out of existence?
Word salad. I wish I had better.
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yeah, sure. I apprehend beauty just like everyone else, I suppose. But I'm still having a hard time understanding how it's not the fear of that something's cessation that's driving the desire to believe. Tibetan monks spend weeks painstakingly creating these incredibly beautiful and intricate sand mandalas, give it a good looking-at, then sweep it up and throw the sand in a river. The purpose, if I understand correctly, is to remind them of the impermanence of everything. No wailing and gnashing of teeth, either. There's not much about Tibetan Buddhism that I either know or care about, but that particular ritual makes sense to me.
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:42 am
@FBM,
Quote:
The purpose, if I understand correctly, is to remind them of the impermanence of everything.
Atheism seems like a much purer and non contradictory path to that realization than Buddhism.

I can not grasp the impermanence of everything in Buddhism while still believing in past and future lives as I assume they do. It seems self defeating. I would not care about such a system of thought either.
FBM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 04:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Technically, it's an atheistic religion. No creator or immortal gods. It's chock full of superstitions and faith-based claims, though. Among the principle tenets is anicca, which is impermanence. The desire for impermanent, conditioned things to be permanent is among the reasons humans suffer (psychologically), they say.
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/11/2020 at 07:17:45