Critical thinking on the existence of God

layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:21 am
@Tuna,
Quote:
I will admit to being unclear what fresco thinks. Definite lack of clarity on the scene

Well, cut the poor solipsistic boy a little slack, eh? Ya can't make no sense when you're trying to pretend ya know something that don't make no damn sense to begin with, caincha see?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:02 am
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:
. . . What's your philosophy neologist? How did you get interested in it?
I've read a few. I must admit a serious disconnect. It's like Kierkegaard attempting to explain the difference between faith and 'infinite resignation'. . . He professed belief in the Bible, for goodness sake. Why could he not be satisfied with Paul's definition in his letter to the Hebrews?

My personal orientation is one of naive realism. I know there are other approaches to describing reality. But for every day living, what you see is what you get.

BTW, I discern a great distinction between faith and credulity.
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:18 am
@Tuna,

Quote:
So what would you put forward as something worth reading in a philosophical vein?

Well, Tuna, aint sure this is what you're lookin for, but I got this here little philosophy that I kinda stole from Pascal, ya know?

I call it "layman's wager." Goes somethin like this here:

So, you're standin there, on the street corner, see, and ya spot yourself a HOT BABE strollin your way. And ya figure your gunna move right in on that. But then some doubt might start fallin down on ya, like "but what if she's all siffed up?" So then ya might start goin counter to your own best instincts, and turn away from the TRUTH. So to protect yourself, ya gotta case away all doubt and BELIEVE. If ya don't, you're sho nuff gunna suffer greatly. On the other hand, if ya just go for it, ya aint gunna lose nuthin.

Aint nuthin to lose, so cast out all doubt and git on that ****, feel me?
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:32 am
@layman,
Oh, I see now. You were lookin for readin material. Well, hard to beat Mr. Natural or Chuck Bukowski for good down-home philosophy, I figure.

http://c300221.r21.cf1.rackcdn.com/mr-natural-profane-tales-of-that-old-mystic-madcap-robert-crumb-1355355821_b.jpg
fresco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:09 am
To all

As long as you assume you know what you mean by 'existence' you will continue
the dance called ' Existence of God'. Spinoza stopped dancing when he said 'existence IS God' and got thrown out of the dance hall for his party pooper behavior !
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 03:09 am
@layman,
Aaah, Crumb. Always a favorite.
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 05:28 am
@Olivier5,
Crumb, he ROCKS, eh, Ollie!?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:21 am
@neologist,
Quote:
But for every day living, what you see is what you get.
I'm gonna be one bummed out dude if you right about that. I'm count'n on so much more.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:28 am
Anybody got a guess as to the ID on the masked thumbs downer?
That dude cracks me up whoever he is.
I mean, think of the angst level that takes!
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:31 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Anybody got a guess as to the ID on the masked thumbs downer?

"The", Leddy? There's a shitload of them runnin round. I generally aint happy unless I get at least 4 thumbs down.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Tuna wrote:
. . . What's your philosophy neologist? How did you get interested in it?
I've read a few. I must admit a serious disconnect. It's like Kierkegaard attempting to explain the difference between faith and 'infinite resignation'. . . He professed belief in the Bible, for goodness sake. Why could he not be satisfied with Paul's definition in his letter to the Hebrews?

My personal orientation is one of naive realism. I know there are other approaches to describing reality. But for every day living, what you see is what you get.

BTW, I discern a great distinction between faith and credulity.

Kierkegaard did something bad. He hurt somebody. It's not a definition of faith he was looking for. He was reaching for the faith to forgive himself... to accept himself and the world as it is. He was an irritable dude with a sharp tongue. It wasn't in his nature to accept any man as his spiritual master, including Paul.

He believed Christianity had become a dead religion... that it had fallen into empty rituals with people nodding and repeating scriptures without any of them paying attention to what it means.

What distinction do you see between faith and credulity?
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
He was an irritable dude with a sharp tongue.

Yeah, and, on top of that, he had a hunched-up kinda back, eh? Talk about someone who needed forgiveness, and you're talkin Soren, sho nuff!
Tuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:14 pm
@layman,
He'd eat both of us for breakfast.
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:26 pm
@Tuna,
Here's something that might be of some "philosophical" significance. Then again, it might not be, but here goes:

As I recall, Kierkegaard once said something like:

Quote:
I went to the grand ball last night. I was the life of the party. When I got home, I wanted to shoot myself.

What's up with that, ya figure?
Tuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:47 pm
@layman,
I don't know. He described himself as very "inward." If he was very introverted, it would have taken a lot of energy to spend an evening talking. If he wanted to kill himself later, maybe he just hit the wall... ran out of gas, so to speak.
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:04 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
I don't know. He described himself as very "inward." If he was very introverted, it would have taken a lot of energy to spend an evening talking. If he wanted to kill himself later, maybe he just hit the wall... ran out of gas, so to speak.

Well, that's possible, but I tend to think it more than just that. I found the exact passage, by the way:

Quote:
I have just come back from a party where I was the life and soul. Witticisms flowed from my lips. Everyone laughed and admired me—but, I left, and wanted to shoot myself.

The author at that site also claims:
Quote:

The young Kierkegaard, though only a student himself, was a part of the Copenhagen intellectual and social circle, where he was viewed as a young man of superior wit, charm and originality...Though Kierkegaard was always known as an individualist, he would always walk the streets and converse with whomever he met.

http://sorenkierkegaard.org/kierkegaard-journals.html

So maybe it was more than just being introverted and running out of gas, eh?
Tuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:16 pm
@layman,
What do you think it was?
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:19 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
What do you think it was?

Well, I can only speculate, of course. I really don't know. Nor do I know any broader context to the statement--it appears to be a diary entry.

But I suspect that it might have something to do with what some later existentialists called "authenticity."
Tuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:21 pm
@layman,
Dude. You can't just say that and stop. Explain more, please.
layman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:29 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Dude. You can't just say that and stop. Explain more, please

Well, something like this I guess. In order to be (make himself) the center of attention he has to "perform," to say and do things designed to please his audience. Chances are half the things he talked about don't even reflect what he truly felt.

More to it than that, but that's a start, eh?