Critical thinking on the existence of God

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 02:57 pm
@Tuna,
Sorry, the above should have been addressed to you.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:17 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Neither M nor H relies on classical logic, they rely on neologisms which appear circular to the unwary.

One of the first presentations of the line of thought employed by H is called the Cyclical Argument. It's Plato. Interdependence does create some cognitive dissonance.

fresco wrote:
Indeed M has an attitude to his system which cites 'gut reaction' as a major factor in its comprehensibility.

Maybe our conflict is just a matter of semantics, then. Where gut reaction is a major factor in comprehensibility, truth transcends language.
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:17 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
I could 'go on' about the inappropriateness of 'formal logic' in evaluating this material

I don't think ya need to go on none, Fresky. Ya done said it all. It defies all logic.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:29 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
'gut reaction' as a major factor in its comprehensibility...metalogical in essence

If I was to haul off an go upside your sorry solipsistic head with 3/4 full 40 of Colt 45, based on "gut reaction," I wouldn't for one second call it "metalogical." It is the most logical thing in the world, I figure.

Metalogical....heh. What kinda candyass word is that, anyway?
Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:33 pm
@layman,
Music is meta-logical isn't it? Or maybe supra-logical. Infra-logical?
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:55 pm
@Tuna,
Music IS logic, I figure, eh, Tuna?

And funny is truth.

Quote:
“And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.” (Fred Nietzsche)

And funny is logic. so there ya have it all, eh? Funny music is the epitome of logic and truth, especially when you're dancing to it.

Quote:
“One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent” (Mencken)
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:06 pm
@layman,
And, like I done said: What could be funnier than goin upside the head of some sorry-ass solipsist?

Hard to top, aint it?

It even has some educational benefits attached. Ya learn his sorry ass a little sumthin about the "external world" in the process, see?
Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:10 pm
@layman,
Layman. What the hell?
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:12 pm
@Tuna,
Even Fresky can't deny it. His hero agrees with me:

Quote:
“A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes” (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Now, if only he would come back so then fun can begin, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:13 pm
@Tuna,
What the hell what?
Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:40 pm
@layman,
Fewer insane comments. Is that too much to ask?
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:52 pm
@Tuna,
Well, Tuna, maybe it's insane to ask an insane person not to be insane, ever think of that?

I quoted several respected philosophers there, ya know? Ya sayin they're all insane?
Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:00 pm
@layman,
I didn't ask you not to be insane. I asked if you could reign it in. Just think how much Jack could have accomplished if he'd realized that the Overlook Hotel doesn't have a bartender.
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:09 pm
@Tuna,
For the record, I don't like solipsists, but, OK, I'll shut up. Imma just lie here in wait until Fresky comes back.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:15 pm
@Tuna,
I think Layman is saying that obfuscation has greatest sapidity when subtly served on a platter of pontifications.
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:16 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
obfuscation has greatest sapidity when subtly served on a platter of pontifications.

Yeah, Tuna, what Neo done said, eh? (Whatever it means).
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:40 pm
@neologist,
I think philosophy would dry up and blow away if it weren't for the background aggression that fuels it. It can be infuriating. It's not really harmful, though. Like Setanta said: what can they do? Throw bytes at you?
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:50 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
I think philosophy would dry up and blow away if it weren't for the background aggression that fuels it.

Yeah, like the background aggression of them damn solipsists, eh? They virtually FORCE you to go upside their sorry heads, ya know?
Tuna

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:59 pm
@layman,
Um, no. Sane solipsists won't debate you because they believe you're imaginary.

Only a crazy one would do that. Ask Tony what to do if you encounter that.
layman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 09:53 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Um, no. Sane solipsists won't debate you because they believe you're imaginary.

Only a crazy one would do that. Ask Tony what to do if you encounter that.

"Sane solipsist" is an oxymoron. Who's Tony? It don't really matter, I already know what to do anyway: Go upside their sorry-ass head, that's what.
0 Replies