What if we capture Sadaam?

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:20 pm
I haven't lost complete confidence in the market, just yet. I'm getting ready to give in to Communism, if this type of thing cannot be controlled by professions and require government intervention so I can retire and eat someday. I have serious doubt SS will be around for me.

Yes, that was sarcasm, but I do see a few things that I don't like. I do not want to be taken advantage of by collaboration of a CEO, who knows not a whole lot more than making a deal, fast and slick talkers who come and go quickly. They get huge stock options, millions in bonus, all for a short term goal. All they have to do is lay off hundreds of people to cut costs and they actually get a prize for this!

I have a problem with accounting practice that artificially inflate stock prices, which is illegal, but strongly encouraged by CEOs to make the number and a few will be rewarded, walking away with millions. The rest of us that are in for the long run, lose a ton of money. Maybe we should switch from serious investing to day trading. Better yet, I should hit the race track. They also offer me past performance information.

The Big Dogs should be held under a bit more scrutiny. They aren't. They are like football players. You are as good as your last game. This type of thinking and wish for immediate results does encourage poor things out of people that have self gain at another's cost, the majority stock holder.

So many of the companies that soared just a few years ago did this by fraud. My last employer was among them. No one will ever hear the company name. There are way too many under litigation today because of this. All we hear is Enron. The market was at an extreme high, but did not actually perform, with exception to a few companies that did, with no illegal accounting practice.

I am not exactly too happy these days. I even quit opening my statements for a long time. I lost so much money, you wouldn't believe it. I have not even broke even with initial investment yet. Yes, I see prices are going back up. That does not mean that I didn't lose a ton of money and am still at capitol loss if I sold every holding I own today.

If I weren't capable of assuming risk, I would have put my money in a shoe box, and probably should have given the illegal accounting practices that robbed me of my retirement. I have to wonder if INSTANT GRATIFICATION is not the way of today's society.

This artificial high makes me feel like a naive moron. I invested in good faith, but my money was not treated as such. Investors money, in good faith, was abused by short sighted people and illegal practice.

I can accept market highs and lows, as long as it is honest market fluctuation. I cannot accept illegal activity and abuse of investor funds as good business practice. It isn't. Only people like Martha Stewart will benefit, not the rest of us ignorant investors that have no insider friends to tell us the truth.

Check out GE Lighiting layoffs, hundreds of people employed over a light bulb. Today, they combined lighting with appliances with many jobs lost to meet unreasonable figures that the economy of today will not allow. They did not, at least to my knowledge, practice illegal accounting. They did lay off hundreds of employess while a few individuals should have been that would equate to the same savings.

I'm one pissed off investor!! At least I can say that I didn't get a lay off to make the number that many people did. Am I getting really out there or are others feeling as I do?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
What on earth did I just post? This topic was about capture of Saddam, right?

Anyone got the Cliff Notes on this, to make it easy for me? I am still shocked that he was captured alive. I didn't think he would. What is going on with his case?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:39 pm
Wildflower, Don't worry; we all have lapses once in awhile. Wink
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:24 pm
I need to come with a disclaimer with advance appology! Once I get on my soap box, sometimes you have to hog tie me and duct tape my big mouth. Sad, but true. In person, I am completely different. I do behave myself, well most of the time! lol!! Posting is a bit one sided to make a singular statement, which I often go overboard with. In person, I don't.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
Wildflower, There seems to be a disconnect between your moniker and your avatar. Wildflower is viewed as energetic, pretty, and worldly. "LIFE HATES ME" says just the opposite.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
Life does hate me. I never dreamed it would be this way. I'm some round peg trying to fit into a square hole too many times. I have no idea how to find happiness. My adult life has given me nothing but difficult challenges with very little, if any reward.

Has anyone ever had the feeling of being alone, even when there are people around you? It's a feeling that no one cares.

At some point you stop caring too, not about them, but about yourself and a feeling of being wanted and needed by those you love. I gave up. I couldn't compete anymore with so much against me. Fact, people only care about me because of what I can do for them, but they don't even know or care about me at all. This is something I have to live with. It isn't easy and is the truth.

I am so alone. My only companion is responsibility. I question just what it is I fought so hard for. Today, I'm tired and worn out from it all. Yes, life must hate me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:53 pm
Your moniker tells me that you have inner strength. I truly believe that most people in this world are nice and generous. If you knew about my childhood, you would think that my outlook on life would be 90 percent negative. I left home at age 17 back in the fifties. What I found along the way were many good people that were generous to me - sometimes in the extreme, and I really don't know why I was so lucky. My life was so miserable during my youth, I almost flunked high school. By some miracle, I finished college in my early thirties, and enjoyed a tremendously rewading career, and retired early (63). I met and married a wonderful woman, and we have reared two smart, sensitive, intelligent sons. My wife graduated from high school, nursing school, and college with honors. I've met many wonderful people during my world travels, and still communicate with many of them. I have friends (literally) all around the world. I couldn't be happier.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
Thank you for sharing your story and the much needed encouragement!
0 Replies