China finally comes to the dance....with Putin.

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:24 am
@Setanta,
I think people can call it "propping up Assad" or "fighting ISIS." Currently, one is the same as the other.

We've been fighting a proxy war with Assad, which we can also call "arming and assisting ISIS."

Our proxy wars always end badly.
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:26 am
From the article you linked:

Quote:
Putin has said his intervention is aimed at stabilizing the Assad government and helping it fight the Islamic State group, though Western officials and Syrian opposition groups say its air strikes mostly have targeted moderate rebels.

You know the Russian plane the Turks shot down? It was attacking a Turkmen enclave in Syria, rebels against the Assad regime. They were n't anywhere near Islamic State.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I think people can call it "propping up Assad" or "fighting ISIS." Currently, one is the same as the other.

We've been fighting a proxy war with Assad, which we can also call "arming and assisting ISIS."

Our proxy wars always end badly.

Utter, unadulterated bullsh*t. Are you on the take from take from the FSB? I hear they pay $250 a month to spread Russian propaganda.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:37 am
@Setanta,
I haven't seen a penny, but I appreciate inside info on the going rate. (Nods)
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:41 am
@Lash,
Ah . . . i see you've drunk the Kool Aid. You can join Gunga Dim and Whackeye in the Putin fan club. If you actually believe that BS you're spreading, you are seriously delusional. I suspect that's due to a polemical bias.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:47 am
@Setanta,
Reporters in the region say that the trucks were Turkey buying oil from ISIS. Usually these reports come to light days later, but most news agencies are towing their country's line.

Of course, Turkey claimed Russia bombed "humanitarian aid" trucks. The HA agency in the area said it wasn't their trucks.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:49 am
@Setanta,
It's so weird to see the mass disconnect. The facts don't fit the preferred narrative, so ad hom.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:33 am
People who are interested in what's happening in Syria, consider where ISIS sells their oil and how that affects relationships in the region.

http://www.ibtimes.com/turkey-buying-oil-isis-after-downed-plane-putin-slams-islamic-states-black-market-2198214
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:38 am
Fascinating! Oil makes sticky bedfellows.

http://ig.ft.com/sites/2015/isis-oil/

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:07 am
@Lash,
The US had reclaimed land from ISIS before Russia ever got involved in Syria. The problem is that ISIS puts itself among the general population, so bombing is of limited utility unless you want to hurt civilians. Bombing is limited utility unless you have a ground force also, and so far Obama was trying to find a ground partner to work with. Remember, Obama was the guy in Washington way back when who didn't want to go into Iraq in the first place.

ISIS took all this territory when Obama honored the agreement to withdraw US troops from Iraq, in fact the Iraq government was pushing us out. A couple of years later, ISIS started crumbling the sham Iraqi army built under Bush. 600 Iraqi fighters took over the city of Mosul, which was "defended" by thirty thousand Iraqi forces. Apparently, under Bush's nation-building program, the Iraqi forces were taught that the proper way to defend a city is to turn your rifle over to the invader and then invite him over to dinner next week.

Nevertheless, some territory had been reclaimed from ISIS. To say we were not fighting ISIS is just inaccurate, and I don't see any ISIS factions surrendering to the Russians either.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:20 am
@Blickers,
The US targets ISIS with 17 strikes on Christmas day.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:02 pm
@Lash,
Blickers seems newly back here on a2k and he probably didn't follow your period of changing your mind in various ways.
Same with Cicerone Imposter, who has been missing in action for health reasons until just this last week or two.
Then there's Rabel, who insists you are faking your changes.

From you to CI re Snowden, within that rather long thread CI switched sides, having thought better of his first take.

Accusations R Us..

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:13 pm
@ossobuco,
He's making the same anti-Snowden arguments here.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:19 pm
@ossobuco,
If people didn't use it as a dodge to avoid dialogue about facts, I wouldn't really care.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:20 pm
@Lash,
Ah, missed it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I see they've stepped up targeting ISIS. Good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 03:01 pm
@Lash,
There was no "ad hom." If you want to spread pro-Russian propaganda, help yourself. Just don't expect to be taken seriously.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 08:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
The only problem is not having the authority never stopped them before.
0 Replies