U.S. Constitution

gollum

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:31 am
What does the U.S. Constitution say about immigration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:36 am
@gollum,
What does the U.S. Constitution say about immigration?

depends a lot on who you ask, the NRA and its supporters would probably point to the second amendment
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 09:16 am
@gollum,
You could read it yourself. You might be interested to know that the US basically had open borders for the first 100 years of its history. When we got around to making immigration laws, they were aimed at keeping out certain races. The first of these, the Page Act, was written "to end the danger of cheap Chinese labor and immoral Chinese women"
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
Open borders perhaps but one of the first congresses raised the time period to become a citizen from five years to 12 years to slow down the change of power between the parties due to a large influx of the French at the time.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 11:06 am
@BillRM,
If you are referring to the Naturalization Act of 1798, this act increased the period necessary for immigrants to become naturalized citizens in the United States from 5 to 14 years.
And it wasn't "due to a large influx of the French at the time" but intended to decrease the number of voters who disagreed with the Federalist political party (Irish and French immigrants were great supporters Thomas Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans).
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 11:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes indeed the change was to length the time it would take the change the balance of power between the parties and the inflow of the French was threatening to do just that.

So I am not sure what you are disagreeing about.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 11:56 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So I am not sure what you are disagreeing about.
a) it was 14 years
b) it wasn't "the French influx".
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 12:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

I did. I did not find either the word immigration or any derivative of it in the Constitution..

I was not aware of the Page Act and I thank you for citing it. I will now look for a piece of writing that sets forth the relevant facts on it. In particular its constitutional basis. My understanding is that there needs to be a constitutional granting of authority for any action ordered in a federal law.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 01:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter-

Thank you.

No, I was not referring to the Naturalization Act of 1798, I was not even aware of it. I thank you for citing it. I will now look writing that sets forth the relevant facts on it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 03:07 pm

The Fourteenth Amendment states that anyone born inside the US has the right to US citizenship.

I don't know what the other parts of the Constitution have to say relating to immigration.
gollum

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy-

This is what it has to say:

The Constitution of the United States

Article I. - The Legislative Branch Note

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
0 Replies