Main breaker trips without others tripping

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 01:54 am
I am not an electrician, so please bear with me. For the last several nights (and only at night) the power in my house has gone out several times. When I check the main breaker panel, the main breaker (or maybe it's 2 breakers controlled with one "bar") has tripped but none of the smaller breakers (I guess they're subbreakers) has tripped. The problem has recurred several times a night, when only my wife and I are home and no large appliances, etc are running (and during the day, we use the microwave, vacuums, etc without problems). Our electrician got a new main breaker to replace the existing one, but this didn't solve the problem. We have lived here since 2002 (house built in 1997) and this has never happened before. We recently put in a security system, but unplugged the whole system (ADT) and the problem still occurred. We also recently switched from Verizon phone service to Cox digital phone service. The electrical company (So Cal Edison) says the problem is not between their transformer and our house, and said that for the past 24 hrs they got a low reading of 240 and high of 243. I apologize for this long description, but my electrician is "stumped" and I am extremely frustrated. I would sincerely appreciate any ideas about how to approach (and hopefully localize) this problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 419 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 03:16 pm
@RHE homeowner,
Rhe, find a way to measure the breaker current, then turn off all the rest. If there's still a significant reading you'll know there's an extraneous load

One way, turn it off also, bridge with with ammeter

Can't advise you how to find the superfluous circuit. You might enlist a buddy who knows about this sort of thing
0 Replies