How to get paint off bricks

msWoods

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 12:20 pm
I would like to change the color of my fireplace brick surround. It already at least 2 layers of paint, and I don't want to add yet another layer. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how best to remove the existing paint. Thanks!

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:39 pm
@msWoods,
People who paint bricks should be prosecuted for masonicide.
That being said, the only think I can think of is sandblasting.
Don't know how that would work, though.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:53 am
@neologist,
you'll have to erect a "tent" around the work. Also Id suggest using something like corn cobs mixed with a nutshell grit. (Sand grit can actually carve the bricks and you may not like what you get.

If the paint is a water base, there are surfactants that can cut through but they take time to work (like several days of keeping moist), oil based paints may need torching and then a solvent like methylene chloride. you still may not get it all off without blasting.

We created a large 4 season porch room along the back portion of the farm house and it had about 150 years of white paint. We removed that with nut shell blasting and actually, the little bit of remaining paint gave the whole wall a neat kind of colonial look.
0 Replies

rachi

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 02:16 am
@msWoods,
You can remove the paint by using sand paper.
0 Replies