Laminate flooring

Mon 13 Jul, 2009 02:52 pm
Center hall colonial is the setting. main door in center; living room on the right, dinning room on the left, kitchen in the back left, I have a light colored laminate flooring in my kitchen connecting to a hall way connecting to my living room. Dinning room has carpet (not sure why), I want to install laminate in dinning room. The question is do i stick with the same color throughout or can i install a dark laminate in the dinning room when the rest of the house has light? The dinning room will connect to the living room on one side and the kitchen on the other, looking for any input on interior designing etiquette.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 5,250 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed
No top replies

DrewDad

Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:12 pm
If you can match the color, I'd stick to having the same color throughout.
dyslexia

Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If you can match the color, I'd stick to having the same color throughout.
yeah me too, but I know nothing about style/decorating.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:33 pm
I know on HGTV decorating shows, all the "experts" frown on different color wood floors, and if they don't "flow" into one another (run the same way)

How about the dark in the center and the wide lighter color around the edge?

0 Replies

eoe

Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:43 pm
Can you do a dark/light checkerboard or something creative to tie in both the light and dark woods? I've used a laminate wood flooring in my entryway that came in 12' squares, like floortile.
I like sullyfish's idea too.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:48 pm
@jsellie15,
Interior design etiquette? There's no such thing. What the designers like this year, will be out of fashion 2 years from now.

You have to live with it for the next 10 years so do what you want to.

I saw a house a few years ago that a contractor lived in. He had used left over hard wood flooring from jobs to do the floors in his house. Each room was a different exotic species. It looked very nice. The required transition strip will act as a divider from one floor to another if you decide to use a different color.
ossobuco

Tue 14 Jul, 2009 02:40 pm
@parados,
I agree with parados on that - though I might wish the kitchen laminate had been a darker choice (re real colonials, but then they would have had thick hardwood) and then have the whole thing the same. But as it is, I would also probably now make it all the light laminate.

What's under the carpet? What is presently in the living room and hall?

Depending on the house - if it was really old - and the budget, I'd even consider taking the kitchen laminate out if I felt strongly enough about a darker color and had a swell bank account. (I don't.) Or maybe doing all the rest in what I wanted, and weaving at the interface as others have suggested.

On the other hand, if you like the light filled room look, find it fresher, I can see going that way and being quite happy I did.
0 Replies

Harold geronimo

Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:27 am
HI all,

Thank you for your glad information and share to your valuable time. Everybody is looking to get things done quick and easy these days, laminate flooring products are better than the other types of flooring product, it is easy to maintain and clean. In the regularly hustle and bustle, you don't have the time to fuss anymore. It is easy to install. If you choose good quality laminate flooring there is no bother with glue or any other kind of adhesive as good brands are designed to snap together, There is a best range available. And different colour and various design perfect flooring available, laminate manufacturer that wants your business will need a great selection including a wide variety of different styles and colors, leading brands, the wood looks either as flooring styles even include ceramic and stone. This ability to mimic natural products is one of laminate flooring's biggest the advantages now,

Thanks and Regards
Harold geronimo
0 Replies

dmasf

Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:32 am
As per my knowledge, if you've just bought a new house or apartment, you probably think how to decorate it. In all case, you should begin with the flooring ideas. Laminate flooring gives the appearance of hardwood to a home without the cost or installation hassle.
0 Replies

Aiden Brown

Thu 2 May, 2013 08:22 pm
Well flooring must be the same in a house, if some change is desired then just add some pattern within the design of the floor so that an abstract look occurs. Laminating the floor makes it shine better so it is good if you are going for it.
0 Replies

Angelahynes

Wed 20 Nov, 2013 07:21 am
@jsellie15,
Please don't think about any other, Just install laminate flooring wherever you want, It would be looking so nice and beautiful.
tsarstepan

Wed 20 Nov, 2013 07:33 am
@Angelahynes,
Angelahynes wrote:

Please don't think about any other, Just install laminate flooring wherever you want, It would be looking so nice and beautiful.

That said, I'm going to install laminate flooring under my hard wood flooring. And on the walls of my closets. And in the crawl spaces. Inside my chimney. Under my eyelids. Etc.... Thanks Angelofdeathhynes for giving us permission to laminate everything.
0 Replies

thetempo

Thu 10 Apr, 2014 11:40 pm
@jsellie15,
colour continuity is important in home decoration, maybe the same colour flooring is more suit for your home.
0 Replies

rachi

Fri 3 Jun, 2016 02:26 am
@jsellie15,
Since all the other room have light colour laminate go for the same colour. let me clear it if all the other room have the same light colour laminate then go for the same else if other room have different colour but they are light then you can change the colour and add dark colour .
0 Replies