get initiated, get started...

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:08 am
Is it possible to use the constructions "get initiated" and "get started" in English? If so, with which preposition?

Is it correct to say "Get initiated in the resolution of simple mathematical problems", or "Get started with the use of ICTs for learning", for example?

Thanks so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 425 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:47 am
Although there is nothing grammatically wrong with those sentences, i can't imagine a native-speaker of English constructing that first sentence. Certainly one gets initiated into or in something.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 05:04 am
@mariarrfe,
mariarrfe wrote:

Is it possible to use the constructions "get initiated" and "get started" in English? If so, with which preposition?

Is it correct to say "Get initiated in the resolution of simple mathematical problems", or "Get started with the use of ICTs for learning", for example?

Thanks so much!

To "get initiated" is in the passive voice. To "get started" is an idiom in the active voice.
0 Replies

mariarrfe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 05:46 am
Thank you both very much!

So, "To get initiated into the use of ICTs for learning purposes" will not be very natural for a native either, right? Or will it? And "To get started with the use of ICTs for learning purposes?".

Thanks again!
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 05:54 am
The native speaker would probably say "get started." Initiated means to be introduced to or to be inducted into an obscure or arcane process or knowledge. The second sentence is fine.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 06:02 am
@mariarrfe,
mariarrfe wrote:

"To get initiated into the use of ICTs for learning purposes"

This would mean that someone else is giving you your first lesson on using ICTs for learning purposes.

Quote:
"To get started with the use of ICTs for learning purposes?".

This means that you are actively taking your first steps with the use of ICTs for learning purposes.
0 Replies

mariarrfe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 06:04 am
Thanks a lot, guys! I will take the second one then Smile
0 Replies

mariarrfe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 06:16 am
Sorry, but what about this option?

' To initiate themselves into the use of ICTs for learning purposes?', 'To initiate themselves into the resolution of simple mathematical problems'.

Sorry for asking again! This is the last one, I promise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 06:33 am
Ask what you want, as many times as you want. If someone doesn't like it, they don't need to reply.

I have no idea what ICT is supposed to be, but to initiate someone into something means to introduce them to and teach them about obscure or arcane knowledge. That is why i say that a native speaker would not be likely to use that verb.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 06:35 am
To try to clear this up for you, initiate means to start something, but initiate in or into means to bring someone to a knowledge of obscure or arcane knowledge, or processes or rituals.
0 Replies

mariarrfe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 07:23 am
Thanks so much for your kind reply, Setana! Smile

ICTs stands for Information and Communication Technologies.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 01:12 pm
@mariarrfe,

"To begin", works for me. "To start", there's another.

No need to over-complicate.
mariarrfe

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 01:21 pm
@McTag,
Thanks a lot!
0 Replies