Debra Law

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:39 am
The humane society KILLS
I called the humane society this morning and got their recorded phone message. They are closed on Mondays--open only on Tuesday thru Saturday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.

I checked with the neighbor lady and she is certain the neglected kitten belongs to our other neighbor to the north. She hasn't seen this neighbor for many, many days and she's been keeping her watchful eye out for him. She needs to talk to him about a property line dilemma--and she thinks he might be in jail again. Hmmmm. From the grapevine, I heard the neighbor's wife was also in jail. Hmmmm.

I checked with my sister. She already has two cats and her daughter has a dog that hates cats--my sister said the kitten would be a lot safer at the humane society than with her daughter and grand-daughter.

I checked with my brother. His kids LOVE the kitten, but he forbids them from having another cat. They have a cat that is 14 years old, they don't want the one they have (although they do love her and care for her), and they don't want another one.

My brother however operated his own kennel for a time and acquired a deaf doberman that some fellow dropped off at the kennel and then moved. He brought the special needs dog to the humane society and asked them to find it a home. He specifically instructed, if they couldn't find the dog a good home, to call him and he would come back and get it. My brother called the humane society a week or so later and inquired about the dog and they told him that they put the dog to sleep two days after he brought it in. He was very angry.

My brother also relayed other stories he had heard about the local humane society. The humane society (HS) had acquired a litter of mixed border collie puppies. His buddy's family wanted to adopt one of the pups, but they refused his application because they lived in town. The HS wanted the pups to go to farm families. Since no farm families came looking--the HS put the entire litter to sleep.

I don't know if I want to take the kitten there after all if there's any chance that the HS will put him to sleep.

I thought--if the unsavory neighbor to the north is the owner and even if he is extremely neglectful--at least the kitten will survive (maybe--at least until winter hits and then who knows whether he'll survive the bitter cold if the neighbor won't let him in the house). I let him outside this evening and told him to go home.

He cried outside for quite awhile and then the crying stopped.

My man called this evening and I told him all of this. My man insisted that I call my girl friend in the next town and demand that she take the cat because she owes me a favor! LOL He might be right!

I went outside--1:00 in the morning--and called for lover boy. He came running. Since I have not fully explored all options yet, I'm putting him up in the guest room again tonight.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 02:31 am
Awwwwww. Sad Debra why is one other very lovely critter not possible at your house? I'll make a financial donation! Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:16 am
My man objects
I wish I could keep the kitten, but my man objects. He has a soft heart for the kitten too. He heard it crying and it broke his heart. BUT, he thinks two cats in the house are MORE than enough and he doesn't want a stray cat having any contact with our two healthy girls--or with me, for that matter. He might be over-protective, but he loves us with all of his heart.

He didn't even want me to grab the kitten and give it a bath. He was worried it would scratch me--and what if it had rabies! The chances of this kitten having rabies are almost nonexistent. However, rabies has not been totally eradicated and I know a family who were indeed exposed to a rabied puppy several years ago and each member of the family underwent rabies shots.

My house cats are vaccinated against rabies--they are fully vaccinated against most common threats including feline leukemia. But, my man is still afraid that the outdoor kitten could be a carrier of "something" and infect or contaminate our girls.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:39 pm
I hate to be the one to sow seeds of domestic discord...but...this is a poor, innocent kitten that needs you.

What if you took the kitten to the vet and had it thoroughly checked and the vet gave it a clean bill of health? THEN would your man have any reason to object?

Or...could the kitten become an "outside cat" that had no contact with your indoor kitties?

I'm afraid you're right about the Humane Society. They will put it to sleep within a few days if it is not adopted. Is there a no-kill shelter where you live? Or a veterinarian who takes in kittens/cats and adopts them out? (That's how we got our two.)

My heart is aching for Loverboy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:03 am
Eva wrote:
......this is a poor, innocent kitten that needs you.

What if you took the kitten to the vet and had it thoroughly checked and the vet gave it a clean bill of health? THEN would your man have any reason to object?

Or...could the kitten become an "outside cat" that had no contact with your indoor kitties?

I'm afraid you're right about the Humane Society. They will put it to sleep within a few days if it is not adopted. Is there a no-kill shelter where you live? Or a veterinarian who takes in kittens/cats and adopts them out? (That's how we got our two.)

My heart is aching for Loverboy.

Hey, what about Eva's ideas, Debra? My heart is breaking for him, too. Poor little thing, thinks he's safe. Sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
Lover Boy
I'm not taking Lover Boy to the Humane Society. I will respect my man's wish that two cats are enough and I will find Lover Boy a suitable home! It's a small inconvenience to place a well-worded advertisement in the give-away section of the newpaper and screen the callers.

I finally let him out of the guest room and allowed him to roam throughout the house. He's very happy and content and so am I. My girls keep their distance from him--they hiss if he comes too close for their comfort. My girls are adequately vaccinated from any "contaminating" effect Lover Boy can possibly have on them. My man will just have to be angry with me--and if his fears are realized--he will be in the rare position of saying, "I told you so."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:58 am
Good luck, Debra! And thank you! Lover boy doesn't know his luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
LoverBoy
LoverBoy was so naughty last night and this morning! LOL

He wouldn't let me sleep. He kept trying to make love to my face--he woke me up repeatedly. When he wasn't rubbing his nose and chin all over my face, he was curled up right next to my face. I tried to put him in the guest room, but he cried and cried.

He attempted to tear apart the 20 lb. cat food bag even though there is plenty of food in his bowl.

He terrorized Tabitha (my 8 year old tabby cat) and she won't come down from her high perch on top of the kitchen cupboards.

He obsessively needs "loving" every minute that he's not rampaging through the house in his zealous kittenish ways.

I finally told him--enough! "I can't spend my entire day making love to you and babysitting you! Go sit out on the deck and enjoy the fresh air!"

Five minutes after I put him out on the deck, he made a hole for himself in the screen of my back-entrance screen door and jumped back inside! LOL

I have to put that "give-away" ad in the paper TODAY! LOL
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:41 pm
I think he's regained his confidence, Debra! And he loves you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:01 pm
Aw shoot, I can't stand it.

What's going on with Lover Boy now, Debra? Have you found him another home, or is he still with you?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:20 am
LoverBoy
My guy called me Thursday night. I confessed that I was harboring the cat in the house against his wishes. He and I just laughed about it--he figured that would happen (he knows me too well).

My guy returned from his trip Friday night--loaded with gifts and love for his family. He pulled Tabitha (our crabby cat) down from on top of the cupboards and gave her love. When we finally sat down on the couch to get caught up with each other--LoverBoy played with his toes and then jumped into his lap.

Lover Boy is such a passive, easy-going, loving, playful youngster. He's fun to watch. He won over our oldest girl, PollyAnna. She will now lay close to him and watch him play with the cat toys.

My guy and I couldn't stop laughing this evening as we watched LoverBoy try to win over Tabitha with his playfulness. She hisses and snarls at him--but with "daddy" home--Tabitha isn't perched on top of the cupboards anymore.

Tabitha doesn't like it when "daddy" and "mommy" cuddle on the couch. She MUST be in between us at all times--she selfishly wants all the love for herself. So, she will tolerate walking by LoverBoy and hissing at him if he tries to pounce and swat her tail--but nothing stops Tabitha from securing her special place on the couch.

We will find LoverBoy a good home. Maybe I'll put that give-away ad in the paper tomorrow--maybe, I'll see.... My honey said he would replace the destroyed screen. All is well! LOL
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:30 am
So all is well, Debra! Very Happy
I'm sure I'm not the only one who suspects what the outcome of all this might be! :wink:
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:26 am
Never brag
I shouldn't have bragged about Lover Boy -- I jinxed the house.

We started out with a relaxing morning. I was laying on the couch with my comforter and giving "love" time to the cats. LoverBoy was draped across my lap and PollyAnna was sprawled out next to my side. I was petting both. Suddenly, LoverBoy grabbed PollyAnna's head tightly with both his paws and bit her nose.

PollyAnna jumped away. I got them settled down--both back in their original places--and then LoverBoy tried it again. NOPE. PollyAnna gave him a second chance, but he blew it. She left.

LoverBoy then directed his boyish aggression in my direction and started biting my toes under the comforter and when I tried to stop him, he started nipping at my fingers.

That was just the start. Lover Boy went completely nuts this morning with rough play. Very rough play. He chased crabby Tabitha so much that my honey took her into the bedroom and shut the door. Lover Boy had a fit! He sat outside the bedroom door and cried louder than I ever heard him cry before. He wanted his "playmate" back.

Then he came running out in the living room. He started to play rough with me--again--and I threw him out on the deck. He went around to the front of the house, jumped on the front screen door, and put a hole in that screen!

My man opened the front door to let in the crying cat and discovered the new hole. Now he has two screen doors to fix. He left this morning without kissing me good-bye.

Yep. That ad goes in the paper tomorrow!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:26 am
Oooooooooooooooooooh! Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:23 am
Uh oh.

(Note to LoverBoy from my tomcat:)
You're about to blow a good thing, fella. I know, you're getting that first surge of testosterone and all, but cool it! Don't let it go to your head. If I were you, I'd lay low and act contrite for a couple of days. Take it from me...they'll forget if you're extra cuddly for a while. And don't trust those girl cats, either. They'll rat on you. <signed> Buster
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
(2nd Note to LoverBoy)
Hey, bud...how's it goin'? Didja take my advice and cool it? Have you been extra-special-cuddly to the lady and ESPECIALLY to her man? Now's the time to pull out all the stops, boy. Even if they're only giving you dry kibble, you gotta rev up that motor and purr...LOUD. Stare up at 'em with those baby blues and give 'em that pitiful "I-don't-got-nobody-in-the-whole-wide-world-but-you" look. Did you wash behind your ears today? Remember, cleanliness is vital. Perhaps your claws are getting a bit long again? Holding out your paw to let her clip your claws last time was a stroke of brilliance, man. <signed> Buster
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:31 pm
LoverBoy is on a romp!
My man is becoming attached to LoverBoy.

I mentioned that I was going to take LoverBoy to visit my friend and her family--if they didn't fall in love with him and want him--then I would place an ad in the paper.

My honey said, "It's up to you."

WHAT? It's up to me? I thought he was the one who said we couldn't have another cat!

Anyway, I decided to let things slide for awhile. My man had an ethernet connection installed in our second computer--but he left it in his delivery van when he came home. Last evening, he went outside to get the computer and bring it in the house. As he opened the door, LoverBoy darted outside.

My man was in a panic. I told him to calm down--that LoverBoy was NOT a newcomer to the big scary outdoors--he will come back in the house if we call him.

I was wrong! He wandered very close to the road and my man was in a panic again. He walked over to LoverBoy to scoop him up and bring him back to safety--and LoverBoy ran under the van. Then he darted off to the back yard.

I told my honey not to worry. LoverBoy would come back to our door and cry when he wanted back in. He has not returned yet . . . .

Where did LoverBoy go? I must go outside and call him--AGAIN!

I'll report back!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
No success
No success in calling him. Maybe my neighbors to the north, if they were his original owners, reclaimed him last night and took him into their house. After all, he is no longer "smelly, dirty cat." I had him groomed to perfection and his fur is the softest I have ever petted in my life--like petting silk.

I live in the country, so I don't have to worry about the animal warden. I don't have to worry that he will end up in the pound. I only have to worry about that damn four-lane highway that runs past our rural neighborhood.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
Oh, now you've got ME worried!

If the neighbors did reclaim him, chances are he will be back. You treated him much better, and he will remember that the next time he manages to dart out THEIR door.

Buster says it's better never to go outside at all. There are evil things out there, and scary noises, too. Sometimes it's even (shudder!) wet! It makes him much too nervous. He prefers to sit inside on his fur-covered, heated perch in the dining room window overlooking the birdbath and feeder. But then, he's a twitchy cat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 01:11 am
Oohhhhhhh! Come back, Loverboy! Sad
0 Replies