Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:14 pm
There are benefits to living out in the country and there are detriments....

One of the detriments, I have learned, is the vast number of kittens and adult cats that roam about--to be dropped off as unwanted by the city-dwellers--or to just walk about and neglected by their owners.

I usually put out food and water for these poor creatures. Of course, they have a communication network that far surpasses the communication system used by the Pentagon.

It seems that they all come crying to my door. It breaks my heart. The one that stopped by yesterday was young. Just a baby! She cried and cried at my door.

If I took in every cat that came wandering into my yard and begged for love and food--I'd have a ton of them by now--plus I would place the health and welfare of my two strictly indoor cats at risk by exposing them to the unknown.

But last night--my heart was breaking big time. The baby was outside my window crying and crying and crying. I couldn't take it anymore. I finally told my man that I was getting up and nonchalantly asked him if he wanted me to bring him anything...a soda maybe?

My man--he knows me sooooo well--said, "You just want to get up so you can rescue that cat."

DRAT. My rescue plot was foiled.

This morning, my man left me a note: "Sweety--I love you. No cats in house, please."

I responded:

"Okay, my love--I will abide by your wise wishes on this matter and leave that poor, innocent, hungry, love-starved baby outside and deafen my ears to its pitiful cries. I love you too, sweetheart."

I'm haunted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,884 • Replies: 80
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:37 pm
I don't know what to say.

I am the same - the sight of suffering animals just destroys me.

But you CAN'T take them all in.

Is there a "shelter" or such anywhere near where you can take the ones you can actually handle?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:03 pm
Ah, Debra, you are a woman of my own heart! Very Happy
I can't stand seeing animals in pain at all! And feel COMPELLED to do sometning about their plight. At times it's meant taking poor dumped critters to a shelter, where who knows what their fate will be? Sad At times like that I become very, very angry with human beings! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:04 pm
pssst, Debra:

What's the progress on the baby cat?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:18 pm
I haven't looked today....
This kitty is so beautiful. My best guess is that she's about four months old. She's part Siamese, most definitely. She has pretty creamy colored fur and big blue eyes. She's very light. I picked her up and held her and she purred and purred. She nuzzeled her head into the crick of my neck.

But, she didn't smell very good. That leads me to believe she is a true stray without an owner. I want to take her in and give her a bath. My man is opposed because he fears for my health and the health of our two house cats.

When she was crying outside our door yesterday, my 8-year-old Tabby sat right next to the door on the inside and cried too. It was almost as if they were talking to each other through the door.

I haven't seen her today. Maybe she gave up and went to cry at someone else's door. My man is leaving town on Sunday--and if she comes around again--I will scoop her up, give her a quick bath, and take her to the humane society. She's young and adorable and has a good chance of being selected by someone for adoption.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:22 pm
That should work. Might I also suggest a donation to the shelter so that she can be spayed, or at least something towards spaying?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:26 pm
Good thinking, Debra! S/he sounds just beautiful! And will be even more so when washed & cleaned up! Very Happy Er ... no chance of a third cat? I once acquired 4 via rampant cat dumping in the area I used to live in. Shocked
But you're probably right .... a new home is likely if s/he is cute, clean & friendly. Let's hope so, anyway!
Good on you, Debra! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:32 pm
It's an old problem. We discovered 4 kittens at work last week, and were able to capture all of them. They didn't object to being handled, and we found homes for all of them the same day. Had we not, they would have gone to the local no-kill shelter here in town. As you say, they have a great communications network.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:43 pm
Aw, that's nice, Roger! Good for you, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:54 pm
Donation
A donation to the Humane Society would definitely be appropriate. It will ease my mind greatly, especially after dealing with a dead cat on the road recently. I wish people would be more responsible.

I was complaining to my honey yesterday evening--look at how well we love and take care of our girls--why doesn't that poor crying baby have a "mommy" to take care of her--why do people simply throw these animals outside to fend for themselves! Oh yes. People are a great source of irritation and disappointment.

And talk about irritating people--if you have been watching Big Brother 5--they had a most irritating, semi-brainless young woman named "Holly" as a houseguest. But, Holly had a redeeming quality and that was her love of cats. If she won the money, she was going to open a cat rescue shelter in Los Angeles. (Unfortunately for the cats of Southern California, she was evicted.)
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
She's Back Today
The baby is back today. She meowed several times to let me know she was out there. When I looked out, I saw that she was curled up on a cushy deck chair. I put food and water out for her on the deck. While she was eating, I ran bath water for her in the utility sink located next to my washer and dryer.

I put on the rubber gloves and went outside and scooped her up. I carried her right to the sink. She had no idea a bath was waiting for her--I'm sure she had no prior knowledge of baths. (When my big calico hears the water running in the utility sink, she scurries off and hides under a bed.)

She was so good--so passive! No struggle at all. She tried to jump out of the sink one time, but she's such a lightweight that keeping her in the bath water was an easy task. As I was scrubbing her, she was PURRING.

When she was adequately scrubbed and rinced, I moved her to the drying towel that I previously laid out for her on top of the washer. I towel dried her and she continued to purr.

I then took her outside to the deck and sat in a chair and continued to towel dry her. She purred and purred. I left her outside to continue drying in the warm sun. If she's still here on Monday morning, she's going to the Humane Society!
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:07 pm
Debra Law;
I am also in the same boat..I live in the country and I have three families that live around me with children.
When the kids see the kittens they are thrilled.They carry them around,feed them and love them..But when the kittens become cats they have no more time for them.
Now those kittens are cats and the females will have more kittens in about another month. I feel sorry for them but i can only do so much.

Joe Harris
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:43 pm
helplessness
joe harris wrote:
Debra Law;
I am also in the same boat..I live in the country and I have three families that live around me with children.
When the kids see the kittens they are thrilled.They carry them around,feed them and love them..But when the kittens become cats they have no more time for them.
Now those kittens are cats and the females will have more kittens in about another month. I feel sorry for them but i can only do so much.

Earlier this summer, a big tom cat came crying at my door and was a constant visitor. He was handsome and friendly. He would jump onto the outside window ledge and sit there. Even though a screen separated us, he liked to watch television with us in the evening and listen to our conversation. My house cats had HISSY fits when they saw him sitting there--but so long as he was on the other side of the screen--I didn't worry too much about my girls.

After a week or so, he just quit showing up for his food and his attention. I wonder what happened to him. But, I know I can't despair over his disappearance because there is only so much I can do. I intend to help this kitten, however, because I truly think she has a good chance of finding a good home with the help of the humane society.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
Oh, these stories break my heart! Sad Why, oh why, do people treat animals in such a shabby way? Confused My hear goes out to every dumped critter on the planet.

A big hug to you, Debra! By the way you describe the kitten's nature & appearance, I'm sure she'll find a new home. Very Happy Good on you!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:57 pm
Sunday
The kitten is still here. It rained a little this afternoon and she took shelter underneath my car in the driveway.

After it stopped raining, I brought the baby into the kitchen and fed her. She is a messy eater--she had one paw in her bowl most of the time slopping the hard cat food all over the place! She would eat a few bites, love me up, eat a few bites, love me up, and on and on.

She is already dirty, so I will bring her in the house and give her another bath in the morning so she will appear and smell nice and fresh. I might even clip her sharp little nails. Then I will take her to the Humane Society.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:05 pm
Debra

Clever little kitten! Very Happy She'll be part of the family before you know it!
She sounds just delightful!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:56 pm
Storm
The weather is ominous tonight. We've had weather warnings--severe thunderstorms, high wind mixed with hail is expected.

What could I do? I had to go out on my deck and call for the kitty. It crawled right out from underneath my deck and came running.

I ran bath water--this time in the tub so I could use the shower head to properly rinse. I don't think I rinsed quite well enough the last time. I discovered my beautiful kitten had little nubbins. This kitten is a boy!

How could I have missed that the last time I gave him a bath? LOL

Well, my lover boy and I had quite the grooming / love fest for the last hour. He developed a love affair with the grooming brush! I dried him and groomed him and clipped his little claws--he's so clean, soft, silky, and nice-smelling! (I could pet him for hours! and he would love it!) He is so cooperative--he even held his paw out for me to clip his sharp nails! When I was done--he held out his paw again as if to say, "are you sure you're done?" I've clipped many claws over the years, but I have never seen such cooperation before!

Lover boy is safely tucked away in the guest bedroom for the night with his own litter box, food and water. I haven't allowed him near my girls and I won't allow him to wander around the house. But, he's safe and has a comfy bed to sleep on. I don't hear any complaints!

He is definitely part siamese--big blue eyes, creamy fur with the dark fur on his ears and tail--but he also has distinct tabby markings on his face and slight tabby marking on his forelegs. I looked on the internet and found a picture of a full grown cat that kind of looks like him here:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7094/samson.html

However, lover boy's tabby markings are clear and distinct on a sea of cream fur. He's beautiful....I mean, handsome! LOL

I have to call my sister tomorrow. Her grand-daughter turns three this month and I wonder if my grand-niece would like lover boy for a companion. (I want to keep this kitty in the family!)

If my sister says no, then off to the humane society we go. He's perfectly groomed now, as handsome as can be, and ready for adoption! He will make some family very happy--if they want a lover cat.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:43 am
He's watching t.v.
I just checked on my little guest. He's sprawled out on the queen-size bed and he's watching television. I turned on the small t.v. in the guest room to keep him company. Compared to where he has been sleeping, this is like a night at the Hilton for him. I hope he doesn't order room service.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 03:48 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
Why would he have to order room service, Debra? He's already got it!!! Smile
0 Replies