federal pacific sub panel change out

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 06:51 pm
sirs, changing out 100 amp federal pacific subpanel which is fed by 3 wire cable from the main panel. 2 insulated conductors and bare stranded aluminum neutral. the new code calls for separate ground bar in new panel which requires one more wire. can I use this existing 3 wire cable and run an additional wire from the main panel neutral bar to this sub panel and use it as the neutral. then use bare aluminum wire as the ground connection on a new separate ground bar? Thank you for any input
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Joe Dunn
Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 03:41 am
If you are doing the work here in the US ... pls provide the following additional details ...

1) What size service do you have to your main pnl and where exactly is the main pnl located?
2) Where exactly is the FPE sub-pnl located?
3) What sort of loads are you pulling on the FPE sub-pnl?
4) What is the distance between your main pnl and the FPE sub-pnl?
5) Are the 3 existing sub-pnl feeded conductors in conduit?
6) What size conduit?
7) What size are existing 3 sub-pnl conductors?
8) What size sub-pnl are you planning to install?
9) Have pulled the permits for this work yet and have you verified with the AHJ the need for Arc Flash Breakers on your branch circuits in the new sub-pnl?

Depending on your answers ... I might have a few more questions or comments.

0 Replies

Related Topics

Main Breaker Tripped 2x - Question by decadent
240 Why - Question by lenchase
electrical showers - Question by grains93
6000W cooktop circuit - Question by 1hairycanary
Tempory power supply - Question by 51 nelson
How does a transformer work? - Question by SuzaneK
  1. Forums
  2. » federal pacific sub panel change out
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/21/2024 at 05:56:19