Imagine a world where the Nazis won

Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 06:27 pm
This is a social philosophy question. Sort of. By what sequence of events do you imagine the Nazis could have won during WWII? It doesn't have to be in the temporal vicinity of the war. It could be the alteration of the outcome of some event decades or centuries prior. But you still have to have a world war starting in the 1930's.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,033 • Replies: 15

chai2

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 07:30 pm
http://cdn5.image.bored.com/thumbnails/coincidence-i-think-not__big_no.jpg
Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 07:41 pm
@chai2,
LOL!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 07:58 pm
Imagine a world where the Nazis won

Nein, Ich werde nicht
Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@djjd62,
Sorry, what does this mean?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 09:19 pm
@Tuna,
It means we don't have to imagine a world war that the Nazi's won, because they were defeated. If they hadn't been defeated, most of us wouldn't be alive to ponder a Nazi controlled world. Plus the death camps would have been privatized in order to eradicate all of the lesser groups. That might mean folks like you Tuna. My Dad fought in WWII, I don't want to think about how things might have been different, because my Dad would have been a POW and neither my brother or I would ever have been born.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 09:48 pm
@chai2,
Hey, Chuck's one year younger than I.
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 09:46 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Hey, Chuck's one year younger than I.

Huh. I notice you didn't try to do anything about the situation, even with a year head start.

You sir, are no Chuck Norris.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:28 pm
@chai2,
Are you sure!? Hey Chucky, is that you?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:52 pm
There's plenty of books on the subject.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FN1RSR4NL.jpg

https://thetripleoption.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/the-man-in-the-high-castle.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 06:22 pm
I'm reading a strong book that is off topic re this thread, but gets me in the gut.

A Woman in Berlin.

Read it.
saab

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 03:23 am
@ossobuco,
I would like to recommend the book "The boy in the striped pyjamas"
This review was created by the editorial staff at Thriving Family magazine

This historical fiction book by John Boyne is published by David Fickling Books, a division of Random House Children's Books, and is written for readers ages 12 and up. The age range reflects readability and not necessarily content appropriateness.
Plot Summary

The story is told from the viewpoint of a 9-year-old German boy named Bruno. Bruno is the privileged son of a Nazi commandant during World War II. Bruno comes home from school one afternoon to discover his belongings packed and set near the door. His family is preparing to relocate from Berlin to a place Bruno believes is called Out-With. In reality, his father will be in charge of the prison camp Auschwitz.

Bruno is not at all happy about the move, especially at leaving behind his three best friends. He is quite lonely and doesn't understand why he can't play with the children that he can see from his window at Out-With, children all dressed in the same striped pajamas. Then he realizes they aren't all children, but also men of all ages, all wearing the same striped pajamas.

Bruno tries to entertain himself around the house since his parents don't want him to do any exploring. He and his sister have lessons at the house instead of going to school. Eventually, Bruno decides to sneak out to explore the area. He meets a boy his age named Shmuel. Shmuel wears the striped pajamas and lives on the other side of the fence.

Shmuel and Bruno begin to meet every day. Bruno is thrilled to have a friend his own age, yet never fully grasps why Shmuel can't play at his house or why Bruno can't play with the other children in striped pajamas.

After a little more than a year and a bout with lice among the children, Bruno's mother decides she can take no more of the isolation and plans to leave. Bruno and Shmuel make plans for one last day to go exploring where Shmuel lives. Bruno's head is shaved because of the lice, so he will fit in when Shmuel brings him pajamas. Bruno meets Shmuel, changes into the pajamas and crawls under the fence to help Shmuel find his papa, who hasn't been seen for days. As the two boys are searching, the guards round them up with many other adults into the middle of the camp.

Believing they were going on a march, Bruno and Shmuel stick close together inside the group and march into an airtight building with many other Jews. That was the last anyone ever heard of Bruno.

His mother eventually returned to Berlin with his sister. Bruno's father was ordered to leave Out-With with other soldiers. He eventually figured out what had happened to Bruno.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 12:22 pm
I been thinking on the issue and my conclusion is that Germany no matter how many things would had gone right for them instead of bad, would had in the end been defeated and destroy as they just did not have the resources or the population to conquest and then rule over the world.

Even if Operation Seal Lion had gone ahead and England fell and the USSR had collapsed like a house of cards they would had still been doom in the long term.

It one thing to overrun territories an destroy armies and another thing to rule over such lands and peoples afterward.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 12:50 pm
@Tuna,
Margaret McMillan talked about this as part of this year's Massey Lectures.

It was during Part 2.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/history-s-people-personalities-the-past-lecture-2-1.3301571

Quote:
Tuesday November 03, 2015
History's People: Personalities & The Past, Lecture 2

LISTEN TO FULL EPISODE 53:58
In the 2015 CBC Massey Lectures, the great Canadian historian Margaret MacMillan explores some of the people - good and bad, dreamers, explorers and adventurers - who have shaped their times and ours. One historian's view of the people of the past who have intrigued, horrified or engaged her.

**Please note: audio streaming will be available until Monday, November 23

"If someone other than Hitler had been in charge of Germany in the 1930s, would he or she have risked all in a war...?"

Margaret Thatcher, Woodrow Wilson, Joseph Stalin, and Adolf Hitler. All had immense ambition, and they were also lucky enough to be leaders at times when great changes were taking place -- changes that gave opportunities for action that they firmly seized. Sure in their own convictions, and in the inevitability of great historical forces in their favour, they were certain they always knew what was best.

there is a link to the audio stream at the link ^ which can be accessed free til 11.23.15
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
evilsorcerer1

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:14 pm
@Tuna,
I have bad news, they did. I say this because it's absurd to believe 7 billion people can not have a fear of death or believe they can be saved and go to war with each other and most spread some crazy theory about how hurting kids is bad and it's their job to protect them when most of the 7 billion people in the world don't care. No one knows they're going to win when they go to war, they just roll the dice, go out there and count their losses afterwards. So no matter what if people as a whole aren't afraid to kill and go to war the nazis will always win because no matter what someone in this world is going to die.
0 Replies