Does a dishwasher's proximity to the sink matter?

Jer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:49 pm
We're looking to get a dishwasher for our kitchen because the old one got deported.

Does anyone here know if there's a maximum distance that a built in dishwasher can be from the kitchen sink??

Looking forward to your replies Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,642 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:53 pm
Jer, It's simply a matter of hooking up the water and sewer lines to your sink. Unless you're talking over five feet, I'm not sure there is a problem. If you can hook up the lines that doesn't put stress on the transfer of water, it seems to me like a non-issue, but you may want to contact a dishwasher maker and ask them. You can also contact your local kitchen-bathroom remodeling company to ask them. There's always Home Depot. Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:05 pm
I imagine the longer the line, the more chance there is that it could become kinked or cracked. But otherwise, if you can find a line long enough, it's probably all right. Good idea, ci, re checking with Home Depot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:12 pm
Jer - I highly suggest checking with the human dishwasher in your home. As the person with that detestable title in my own home... What the heck are you doin' trying to move the dishwasher way over there???
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:27 pm
As the dishwasher in my home I wanna get a machine to do this..

It feels like such a waste of time...but I grew up with a dishwasher and have always had a dishwasher except for one year at uni...and this year...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
Jer, It seems to me that most kitchens are designed to include a space for a dishwasher by the sink - usually replaced by a large size cabinet in it's place when there's no dishwasher. Dishwashers come in standard size, so it should not be difficult.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:38 am
Do not know the mechanics of how close the dishwashers would need to be or why. But for the convenience of loading the dishwasher I would suggest it be as close as possible to the sink. Usually people rinse their dishes prior to loading to get all excess food off. If you need to reach across the floor or any distance, water will drip every where.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
... and to add to what Linkat said, wet plates are slippery, and can fly out of your hands and onto the floor, thereby breaking. Seems to me that the closer the dishwasher, the less likely it is that this will happen.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
Thank you all for your replies...

I'm going to elaborate on my initial post a little bit here...

I live with my brother in a rented house. The landlord is going to put in a dishwasher for us but she keeps wondering if the distance to the sink is going to matter. I told her that I didn't think it would matter - but I just wanted to hear from some other that all that was needed was a couple of hoses.

The reason the distance is important is because the only space we have for the dishwasher is about 6'-7' from the sink. But because it's in an "L" portion of counter it means that the actual dishwasher opening in almost beside the sink.

Thanks again for all your posts.

My understanding from here and from the real world is that distance isn't really an issue and that you can buy extension hoses for the dishwasher if the stock hoses aren't long enough.
0 Replies

ddogdbp

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:10 am
5 ft. Thats why most hoses sold are 5 feet or 3 feet long. Only reason is motor strain (Pump) After 5 feet the dishwashers pump is struggling hard to get the water out to the sink. I am at 5 feet distance from sink hook ups- but due to U shaped kitchen I have 10' of hose. Big difference in performance. If you use more than 5 feet, you must rinse your dishes very well or you will be hand washing them as you put em away. Unless you got the $600 model. I don't.

ddogdbp
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:37 am
Thanks ddogdbp
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:33 am
not sure if it still matters but when you run your drain hose keep it as high as possible in the cabinet then down into the drain, gravity will help the pump do its job and will extend the life of the dishwasher.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:02 am
Thanks.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:30 pm
It only matter if you plan to use the kitchen sink for a water supply and drain. we placed our dishwasher on the other side of the kitchen and we are using the bathroom for a water supply and ran the drain hose into the basement.

Don't know your particular situation, but anything can be done with the proper tools and desire...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
That's a neat solution, McG. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. The hoses for the dishwasher don't have to connect to someplace in the kitchen. I like that kind of thinking.
0 Replies