Sinkhole?

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 03:10 am
The rise of the al-Nusra Front and ISIS, and the growing strength of similar extremist groups with tens of thousands of fighters, raised the prospect that the defeat of Assad—or even a stand-off with him—might lead to the establishment of an Islamic state in all or part of Syria. In an interview with the New Yorker, one senior US official captured the concern when he said, “you could have a situation where the more secular rebel groups could well be fighting the more Islamist-oriented groups. I call it the Sinkhole. I think there is an appreciation, even at the highest levels, of how this is getting steadily worse. This is the discomfort you see with the president, and it’s not just the president. It’s everybody.”

What does the Sinkhole possibly mean in the paragraph?
What is the connection between this word and the previous sentence "you could have a situation where the more secular rebel groups could well be fighting the more Islamist-oriented groups"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 566 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 04:38 am
The quoted official is calling the situation a sinkhole, and it is not clear to me what he intends by that. A sinkhole is a depression caused by the accumulation of water. Often, if dry weather continues, or something causes the water to drain, the sinkhole can collapse--which is why the word sinkhole is used. A hole is formed when the land sinks.

I couldn't say how this individual comes to the conclusion that such fighting can be likened to a sinkhole. Even native speakers of a language don't always use words in a manner which makes sense to other native speakers. This is a case in which, if i were present, i'd ask the man: "What the hell are you talking about?"
PennyChan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks! I think he is playing with words.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 04:54 am
@PennyChan,

A bottomless pit, a big and growing problem, an unstable situation, an unquantifiable menace.
Also a big surprise to everybody. (too much?)
PennyChan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 10:42 pm
@McTag,
Thanks!!!
0 Replies