Love on a Plate,..Valentine's Day/Romantic Meal Ideas

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 07:24 am
OK,.the Holidays have past, the next biggie looming over us is Valentine's Day Razz

Do you have an idea for romantic dinner that you'd like to share?

I'll be posting some of my favorites, hope you will as well!!

As always, recipes are always a plus!! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,468 • Replies: 23
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:57 am
grrrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:58 am
Ok, I'll be a sport. How about homemade raspberry sorbet with fresh berries and creme fraiche for dessert? I guess you'd have to throw some chocolate in there somewhere.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:01 am
I haven´t even thought about St.Valentines day since I left England 10 years ago but now the flower shops,restaurants et al are trying to push this revolting "celebration" onto the Danish calender.
If one wants to be romantic,be romantic.What´s the HUGE deal with Feb.14th??
Money?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:10 am
OK everybody,...relax,..take a deep breath! Laughing

I'm not a huge fan of this holiday either,..but I do like romantic dinners. That's why I started the thread, for those who choose to celebrate the holiday and for those who don't need the day,..but like to make things special every now and then. Very Happy

I will be back to post a recipe for a Caviar Torte that I make as an appetizer,..yummy with some good bubbly! Drunk
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:12 am
<BREATHING>
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:15 am
Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:54 am
Caviar Torte

2 tbls. mayonnaise
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and at room temp.
3 hard-cook large eggs, chopped fine
2 tbls. finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tbls. fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens
2 tbls. fresh chives
2 tbls. minced fresh dill
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tbls. sour cream
1-2 ounces caviar, I usually do 1 oz. sevruga (ossetra is fine) and 1 oz salmon caviar

In a bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and butter and stir in eggs, celery, onion, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture in an oiled 3-inch ring mold (a round cookie cutter, or a tuna can with both sides removed, will work) and sprinkle evenly with scallion greens, chives, and dill.

In a small bowl stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Drop dollops of cream-cheese mixture over herbs and spread carefully to form an even topping. Chill torte, covered, at least 8 hours. (I usually make this the night before I serve it)

Just before serving, unmold the torte. Transfer torte to a serving plate and spread caviar over top. Garnish torte with dill sprigs and serve with toast points.

Serves 2-4
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:23 am
It's not cooked? Raw eggs?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:41 am
bleck....
okay
breathing

how about

candles and a can o whip cream?

sorry...couldnt resist
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 01:33 pm
The chicken eggs are hard-cooked, the fishy eggs are raw. Laughing
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
The boy doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day. So feel free to make me anything you want. I, for one, would be more than HAPPY to taste test your torte or anything else you'd like to whip up. Very Happy

My mother's friend gave me this cookie stamper that has a heart pattern on it. Taking the hint that the girls at the office want heart printed cookies. We'll see.......
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 01:43 pm
I have also always wanted to try and make Beef Wellington. It just seems so complicated and Valentine's Day would be as good a reason as any to try it out.

Oh well. No flowers, no beef!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:07 pm
Okay..that chocolate cake thing...that could make someone very happy on Valentines Day...or any other day really but, you know the whole chocolates and all...it would be a nice replacement.

The whole fruit and champagne thing might be nice.

Chocolate dipped strawberries.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:02 pm
Sugar, I have a fairly easy recipe for beef wellington, but it is a "cheating" way to do it. It calls for frozen pastry dough for the crust. Leave the dough out so its workable. You brown the meat according to the done-ness you are looking for. Put sauted onions, meat in the center of your rolled out dough, fold it up, put the folded side down on a baking rack, bake 15 minutes @ 350.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:14 pm
But, Jerry, you don't say anything about cooking it in the recipe.... am I just blind?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:00 pm
Um,...it says hard cooked eggs in the ingredients.
Maybe I should have mentioned it in the steps as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:01 pm
Embarrassed
teehee
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:03 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

littlek