How long have you had your computer?

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:39 pm
I have had this same old blue and white G3 for five years now. I think it's time I bought a new one. My monitor is getting all blurry, my hard drive is going, and I'm just looking for another reason to buy a new one.

Five years. That's a pretty good lifespan for a computer, isn't it? How long have you had yours?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,319 • Replies: 23
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:41 pm
15 months. The one before that cratered after a little over a year.

Yeah, at 5 years old, it might be hard to upgrade even if you wanted to put the money into something with zero cash value.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:42 pm
I bought already a new computer one year ago, viz 1 year.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 02:10 am
Mine is a little over 4 years old.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:38 am
current machine - just passed it's 3d birthday. the one before this I had for like 7 years. no kidding.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:51 am
Far longer than any of you! Ten years? Not sure, but has had a number of reincarnations. It's slow but it goes! Laughing
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:19 am
Well I bought the one I have now on a 4-year payment plan and have about 9 months left.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
2 months! The older one (on the desk on the other side of this room) is 7 years old.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:40 am
This one, a desktop, is only 5 months old. G5. Sweet. The laptop, Titanium G4, is about 2 1/2 years old. It's sweet too. I had a PowerComputer that was about 8 years old before I moved it to the basement. I still use it for scanning since my old scanner doesn't work with the new desktop and I don't do enough scanning these days to purchase a new one. My husband has it all networked, including his PC.

Kicky, I thought you were looking at an ibook or something a few months back. Just get it already!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
Just got a new one three months ago; the old one was my first PC. I bought it in 1998.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
eoe, I don't go into these things lightly! Smile

I'm one of those pain in the ass people who have to mull things over, then look at all my options, then mull things over again, then look at all my options, then...you get the idea.

But I'm getting real close to taking action on this. Another six months should do it. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
Me too, Kicky!

I've finally nailed down what kind of a computer I'm going to buy, and will do so in the next week or so.

(Don't tell Craven or Monger, but it's an eMac.) (I promise not to ask them for help if anything goes wrong.)

Hubby has a new fancy system for his office(s) -- home and work -- he's bringing a laptop (G5, I think) back and forth and then has a separate ginormous monitor to attach it to at work. We're gonna get Airport Express and have everything all connected.

This tired, miserable thing I'm typing at has been around for about 5 years. It was our first PC. (We had a monitor and a modem and could access email but only email for maybe 4 years before that.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:57 am
The system at home is about 5 years old. I'm getting a little tired of pedalling. Sad
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 11:31 am
Soz, cool! I don't know much about the emacs, but I'm glad to hear your stickin' with Apple. You did the right thing!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 12:00 pm
:-)

I know other companies have equivalents, it's not just an Apple thing, but the Airport Express will solve a lot of problems. Right now I have a little office carved out in the family room, and every inch is being used for something. (It's sozlet's play area, too.) E.G. has a home office set up upstairs, plenty of room. So the obvious thing to do is set up the printer scanner etc. in his office, but how do I access them from my computer downstairs? Airport Express! Yay.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
The network thing is sweet. Just make sure everything is compatible. I had to buy a new printer because the perfectly wonderful two year old Epson could not hook up to the G5. The connections weren't compatible and as hard as we looked, there was no way to make them compatible. That took an unexpected bite out of my butt. And, as I mentioned earlier, my scanner would not connect to the G5 either. I think the G5 has eliminated the scuzzy connection or something like that so it forced me to keep my old desktop and move it and the scanner downstairs to my husbands' office. The good thing is one, at least I can still scan when I need to and two, this now allows us to write my husbands office space off on my taxes also. Well, legitimately that is. ha-ha.

Kicky, just do it. Don't procrastinate and don't be scared that something bigger and badder and faster will come out next month. You guys just kill me with that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:48 pm
But I heard that the prices on Powerbooks are going to be coming down soon! Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:18 pm
I got dragged into the computer age, kicking and screaming, quite late (2002). I'm on my third Dell
2400 or something. It's slow and stupid but cheap; sort of like me, so we get along just fine.
We live in an area that is prone to wickedly sudden storms coming through the gaps in the mountains. We've got surge protectors protecting surge protectors but it took me a while to realize that the killer zap came not over the electrical line but from the phone line taking a direct lightning strike.
We try to remember to disconnect things on days that might be threatening but its an easy thing to forget to do. -rjb-
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:45 pm
Sounds like a big drag, realjohnnyboy.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:52 am
This is my first computer. It was bought earlyish 2000, when an 800 Mhz processor was top of the line.

I still remember when they were talking about finally hitting 1 Ghz on ZDTV and it was such a landmark in the industry and a mere 4 years later you can buy a processor a bit over 3 times that fast. At this rate, when a 10 Ghz processor comes out, maybe just inside a year you'll have a 20.

...I do miss writing letters. Sad
0 Replies