0

If you had to choose between atheist or theist...

Tartarin

1  
Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:47 pm
I think the burden of proof lies with the deity. Much as I dislike New Age ("rhymes with sewage!" a friend always adds), here's a recommendation again: Deepak Chopra has written interestingly about how the idea of god arises out of different human circumstances.

For many who are atheists or agnostics, but who perceive the interplay of the strands of life within what might be called a unifying principle, social, Sunday-religion is anathema. ...as is the use to which spirituality is put by the state and by hierarchical religious institutions having piles of worldly goods and promoting narrow social and political goals. Particularly now, at this period in our history, any discussion of "god" is tainted by the commercial and political uses of the concept. So when people click on the "atheist" button, they may not be denying spirituality but rather distancing themselves from corruption and hubris in religious institutions.

msolga

1  
Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 11:13 pm
Tartarin

Yes! Well said.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 12:14 am
Apathy am I, atheist here, but not proselytizing for it.

1  
Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 12:21 am
Tartar, I'm not sure what you mean by "spirituality," but I don't believe in any gods. My "spirit" dies when my body dies. c.i.

Jim

1  
Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:47 am
I always find it interesting when different people look at the same evidence and reach different conclusions.

I believe in God.

midnight

1  
Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:56 pm
Hmm. . . . I tend to identify myself as a nonchristian agnostic but having to choose I guess I'd go with atheist. . . . does theist only apply to certain religions? I just don't tend to think the existance or nonexistance of God, gods, or ultimate something really matters all that much because no matter what I believe things are the way they are and the universe isn't going to rearrange itself for me. I'm going to live the same way I live no matter what label I identify myself with.

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 06:43 pm
Since this is the thread that won't die -- I guess I gotta come back and say: Agnosticism is the only way to go.

Tartarin

1  
Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:17 pm
I go with Borges -- entirely -- Midnight. Am very doubtful about the existence of linear time.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:35 pm
Ci and I seem to be in the same camp, hi, CI.

1  
Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:15 am
Jim, That's known as "subjectivity." Wink c.i.

jamespetts

1  
Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:20 pm
Excellent >:-) I shall look forward to your reply in my "Does there exist a deity?" thread... ;-)

williamhenry3 wrote:
I am definitely a theist:

The light of God surrounds us;
The love of God enfolds us:
The power of God protects us;
The presence of God watches over us.
Wherever we are, God is.

--James Dillet Freeman

jamespetts

1  
Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:21 pm
Grr. The smilie machine doesn't recognise the generic "evil grin"...