If you had to choose between atheist or theist...

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:31 am
Excellent, Cunning Coney, now, if i could just remember where i read that . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:26 am
I think she means breakfast, 'tanta.

dlow - I find nothing washes down turtles and elephants in the morning like a powerful screwdriver (with tangerine juice if you can get it).
0 Replies

Maraso

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
Asherman:

Having read your last post several times I remain in awe. I have seldom seen anything put so beautifully and concisely.

You wrote, "Because there is a dream, only an analogy after all, there doesn't have to be a dreamer. There is no creator, and no creation."

Elegant. You write extremely well. Exclamation
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:26 am
Thank you for your kind words, Maraso. You can see some of my other writing and pictures by clicking on the links at the bottom of my posts.

I see you are also a New Mexican. We are beginning to discuss the possiblity of have an A2K gathering here in Albuquerque sometime this year, possibly mid-to late April, or early May. Details can be found in the North American Topic -- Check it out, vato. Do stop and visit Corazon the next time your in town.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:50 am
Asherman, I'll be going to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands for 17 days beginning on April 30. Sorry I'll miss you guys. c.i.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:52 am
Vaya con dios, Cicero
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:57 am
c.i.--

Be safe and take a million pictures.
Enjoy!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:25 am
Lash, Sometimes it feels like I've taken a million pictures, but in actuality, it's probably closer to 1,000. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:44 am
I do believe in God.
Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:46 am
New Haven, On what basis do you have a belief in god? c.i.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 08:08 pm
I'm not supersticious but if I were I'd worship something worthy like the trees a la the paganism described in Robert Grave's "The White Goddess".
0 Replies

celticclover

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:32 pm
I believe in God.
And I also believe everyone has the right to believe what is right for them, no matter what it is.
I feel that this question is alot like having one asking; Are you heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual.
Its a personal preference.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:08 pm
None of the above?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:15 pm
I would like to change my answer.

I feel that it is foolish and arbitrary to attempt to pigeonhole those of us who either espouse a religion or not into two such non-descript and useless labels....

I miss Lash.....
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:18 pm
Ragman and Asherman have both said all I would say, and then some.

For allowing me the joy and comfort of connecting with such kindred spirits, I thank the "creators" of A2K.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 01:41 am
Any statement affirming or denying the existence of god is a speculation.

Craven, you are to be complimented on devising a way of asking this question so as to spark yet another round of affirmations and denials.

If there is an afterlife, and we all gather in heaven, I hope god is a physical being that we can all see, because if he/she is a non-material spirit, then we will be condemned to argue this question for all eternity, which will be a sort of hell.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:50 am
As i grow older, i think less of the writings of Heinlein, for reasons into which i won't go. But there was an entertaining concept in Stranger in a Strange Land, to the effect that we all go to the heaven in which we believe. Given my convictions, i'll just be dead.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 11:06 am
Yes Setanta with electronic technology, it would be easy for the almighty to to program an environment into which he might pop the newly arrived soul, and which would include everything that would make that particular mind happy.

You, for example might be ushered into a pastoral scene where you lay down on a grassy knoll beside a brook and fall into an eternal sleep. Just the ticket. Perhaps there could be a nubile young woman with a fan to keep the flies away. Also, in the event you might wake up, it would be nice to have companionship. There could be this tree nearby, just to make things interesting, loaded with beautiful fruit and a sign that says "do not eat."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 11:22 am
Hazlitt wrote:
You, for example might be ushered into a pastoral scene where you lay down on a grassy knoll beside a brook and fall into an eternal sleep. Just the ticket. Perhaps there could be a nubile young woman with a fan to keep the flies away. Also, in the event you might wake up, it would be nice to have companionship. There could be this tree nearby, just to make things interesting, loaded with beautiful fruit and a sign that says "do not eat."

Why does that sound familiar? During the reign of the Committe of Public Safety ("the Terror") in France, Robspierre had signs put up in the cemetaries which translate as: "Here is only eternal sleep."

Your passage i quote reminded me of the last words of Thomas Jackson (Stonewall): "Let us cross over the river and lie down in the shade of the trees."
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 12:11 pm
Dog gone, I thought I had an original idea.
0 Replies