A serious mold problem

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:45 am
Hi,

My name is Dan and I've been living in a flat ground floor for 2-3 years now with my Dad. From the start we never knew anything about the mold. I expect like most landlord they prefer to keep it secret. As weeks went by we noticed to see mold and damp in certain areas. It's best if I'll list them like this

Living room: Outside walls are damp with small water droplets running down them. We've tried our very best to keep away but no matter it just soaks little bit of the carpet.

Bedroom 1: Has to be the most cleanest. We have inner walls that aren't near outside walls which is great. So anything up against them is sure to be fine. Yet don't quote me on it. Some things near outside walls still get bit damp.

Bedroom 2: Is the worst. Anything in there is guaranteed to catch mold. When I moved into that room, it was soo damp even the floor was wet. Apparently someone who did the floor did a terrible job and just left it. It's been resolved thank god but still our damping issue is a big problem too. You could even feel and smell the air difference when entering it. Crazy.

Kitchen: Isn't bad. I noticed in some cupboards there's slight sight of mold. We also have a strange issue with cheese. We like to have spaghetti from time to time and we bought a bag of cheese which was sealed up. Once it was open and then left in cupboard or a container it would catch mold in weeks maybe.

My dad used to work on construction and had a idea of things like this, but we've tried pretty much anything we thought of. We thought the house was built on a down slope so water running from garden would come into our house and affect the walls. We tried digging a thing around the house because bricks with those holes in which were blocked up. We unblocked them. We tried adding a fan inside the house which is suppose to blow air into all the rooms and then let out. All ideas were complete waste. We believe that the house walls are completely finished. The roof has a leaking apparently. The upper flat landlord doesn't want to help us. I would say the whole house is just finished.

It's just a complete pain to keep things clean. I really do help I can find answers. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 02:57 pm
This is a health hazard. You must move ASAP. Is there any reason why you can't move?
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 03:19 pm
@BlueCalibur,
Mould is as Punkey stated, extremely toxic, dangerous can cause all sorts of illnesses.

I am a Property Manager amongst other things. Recently, we had to combat mould for a tenant, unfortunately it involved replacing the whole roof, part of the ceiling at a cost of $5k to the landlord. This would be why your landlord probably doesn't want to broach the subject. More than likely the entire home needs a new roof, down pipes for the water to go away from the house.

Mould is "toxic" I want you to hear that word. I agree, no matter how you do it, it's time to move house.

In the meantime, warm water and vinegar, do not use bleach as that only whitens the area and is also toxic breathed in. Then another bucket of warm water to wipe over after.

Leave the second door closed for now don't attempt anything in that r0om.
BlueCaliber0

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 03:41 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
We've known the circumstances of mold. If we had the money to move we would surely to do it. It's just in our situation we just cant.

I believe it would have to be the roof that's causing the problem. I forgot to add, but last year the upper flat owner sent someone to check a problem with the roof or pipes. Apparently there was a leak. So I guess that surely must be the cause. If there's damp and it's gown down not up, then it would have to be upper floor that is the main culprit.

Thanks for the help. I was really hoping for some solutions. At least only 1 room is badly affected :/
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:11 pm
@BlueCaliber0,
Couldn't find your password? Smile

I gave you a solution, 1) use vinegar and warm water.

They gave you a solution 2) move.

No matter how tight money is you can always for go things, save and achieve.

I hope you don't have children and are subjecting them to this.

I am not sure where you live but in some places, it's illegal for Landlords to have people living in these types of conditions. Perhaps you can check on that as well.
0 Replies