BMW 1997 Radio display problem

deopsr2

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:34 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Autos

Hi, I sure hope someone can help because BMW is giving me the run around. My problem is this, when I turn on the power to the radio the display shows "phone" and the radio does not play nor can I change stations.

BMW has told me that the unit is defective and that I need to have it serviced. I purchased another radio from the scrap yard and they assured me that it is in working order. It cost me $ 250.00.
When this unit is installed it also displays the same message. " Phone "
Does anyone know how to reset this and get me back to the radio stations?

Many Thanks

Sam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,763 • Replies: 4
No top replies

borisjr

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:54 pm
I have the same problem. It happened after I jump-started the car. Have you found a solution yet?
Does anyone else have any ideas? The OBC works fine, the radio display is stuck on 'phone', and none of the radio buttons work.
Thanks
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:59 pm
Can you return the radio you bought at the junk yard for another? I've never seen "PHONE" come on a BMW, and I used to sell alot of used ones. You might have to have the stealer fix it for you.

Borisjr, you sure it doesn't read "CODE?" Anytime you disconnect the power to the radio(ex. disconnect the battery, jumpstart, or remove the radio), you have to have the security code for the radio for it to come back on. If you don't have the code, you can bring the car to the dealer and they'll get it for you. You type the code into the radio and it comes back on.
0 Replies

borisjr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:04 pm
Thanks for the useless info Slappy. And yeah...I can read. What's with the attitude? We're in this forum looking for legitimate information for real problems with real BMWs with real BMW stock radios...that weren't stolen. Just because you haven't ever seen this specific problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist...or that we are idiots.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:11 pm
What attitude? I was trying to help you jackass.

Every time you jumpstart a BMW, the radio WILL go to CODE. I thought maybe your display may have been fuzzy, hence you thought it also read "Phone." That's another common problem on that year BMW.

Here's a better answer then: go to the f'n dealership. You'll get a much clearer answer than trying to diagnose something over the internet.
0 Replies