GARBAGE SET OUT ON THE WRONG DATE

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:08 pm
My busybody neighbor took pictures of my garbage bin set out on the wrong date that was meant for recycle. Saw this clip on my home cctv camera footage. They were standing far than dashing toward it to get a close shot of our bin barcode -.- Why? Apparently, I found afterwards in the morning that you can get fined or summoned to court over this matter. It's not just a simple matter of the garbage truck ignoring our garbage bin and not pick it's up. I don't know how much we can get fined over it. I guessing it's $300 or more from what I read so far? This is such shocking news to me.

Leaving garbage on a City street is a bylaw infraction. Municipal Licensing & Standards, Waste & Parks Enforcement Officers will take appropriate enforcement action, which could include:

1, A ticket (e.g. Certificate of Offence, Part I) can be issued by the by-law officer setting the fine of at least $100 for residential property and at least $300 for commercial property (the bylaw states "is liable to a fine of not more than $10,000 for the first offence")
2. A Summons (e.g. Part III) can be issued including a court date and the offender will have to appear at the court.
3. If the garbage left on City property is to be removed by City, the removal expenses will be recovered through taxes on property.
4. The City may terminate the collection services (garbage pick-up)

My uncle mixed up the date and thought it was garbage bin pick up date and also, he took out the garbage late at night (color blind) thinking people had their black garbage bin set outside. Black (Garbage) and Dark Navy Blue (Recycle).

Praying that I will find a better to move away from them.

View best answer, chosen by Pinklovable
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:23 pm
@Pinklovable,
1. the ticket comes from bylaw enforcement, not your neighbour. the garbage collectors are the ones who contact bylaw enforcement if it is a regular problem

2. you live in a house, not a commercial property. the maximum is $100

3. colourblindness doesn't matter. it says on the containers if they are for recycling or garbage. If you're worried about the date, print the schedule out from the internet, or find the calendar that the city delivered to the house

4. stop watching the cctv camera footage. it is not helpful to your mental health.

5. talk to a school counsellor about all of these things you are obsessing about. it is not healthy.
Pinklovable

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you very much. You're absolutely right! Multitasking is hard. I should concentrate on on one task at a time and not let it distract me from my work. Was very easy going with cctv system because it isn't able to record 24/7. It's pretty much a dummy camera. But after some incidents that we face with vandalism it motivated us to figure out how to use the system properly to record. It's usually turned off during the day and used during the night time while we are asleep to save energy and prevent it from overheating.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 09:23 pm
@Pinklovable,
Are you sure all this is really going on? One of your threads worries you will be fined by the police for a back-up car alarm and then there is some nonsense about a cuckoo clock.....why are you having so many problems???
Pinklovable

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 11:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes! All these problems are showing up now after several months of neighbour dispute. It started with shared driveway dispute over parking to us installing cctv cameras. Ignoring the problem has made things escalate for the worse. We never consulted a lawyer first nor we think that we did any that's illegal to worry about. My neighbour just snapped at us in January, exclaiming that they will sue us for money after they collect enough evidence from those objects to sue us. The amount they are asking for is still unknown. They call the shots. They've been teasing us about the car back up alarm and cuckoo clock. Imitating the sounds next to the adjoining walls. We never deem it as a problem since the police never gave us any warnings about complaints so, we continue ignoring them until they started changing their WiFi names. What worst is that they categorize people who make noise as (ABSO) anti-social.

Whether my family current situation is this serious or not I'm torn in between. We may actually lose our home, money and freedom without knowing. You can find an article on Google about a pianist being sued by their ex-neighbour for emotional distress and noise pollution could face possibily 7 years in prison~http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/11/12/pianist_faces_7_years_in_jail_for_causing_noise_pollution_by_practising_at_home.html
Another about a family losing $500k over their barking dogs beacuse they ignore the lawsuit: http://abc7news.com/pets/family-loses-$500000-lawsuit-over-barking-dog/511454/

I've lost motivation focusing in school over worrying to much about this matter because no one in my family is willing to seek professional help for advice and keep saying don't worry about it. Procrasination is bad you know. It's going to be too late when they sue. The world is a cruel place. People can sue you over anything. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/07/lowes_shopper_says_screeching.html

My family thinks im overthinking by finding these article to read and are still in denial of the possibility of a lawsuit from happening. Anything is possible no matter how ridiculous it may seem. I'm kind of sad over this financial crisis. I'm carry the burden because my family member doesn't believe it's possible. Praying that my family can overcome this obstacles. My neighbour keeps threatening that they will kill us.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 11:37 pm
@Pinklovable,
Quote:
My neighbour keeps threatening that they will kill us.

If this is true, file a police report.
Pinklovable

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:08 am
@Butrflynet,
They file it before us. It's pointless to file any report with the history of noise complaints coming from the car back up alarm and cuckoo clock. The police will probably think we're lying or accusing them. Either way, I think my family will get corner in court over this lawsuit. They will destroy us in court. My family are waiting there like a fish on a plate thinking that's everthing is fine. From all the articles, i've read so far their chances of winning is higher than us. It would be great to seek professional help but my relative is too stubborn with his belief that the cops will alaways give warning. In reality, noise bylaw officer "investigate" so, the hidden fines accumulate over time. Only in court will it appear all at once.

Someone told me about the clock "is important enough for you to go speak with a local attorney and have a full discussion. You do not want the neighbor getting a judgment against you for millions of dollars, do you?" We don't even have that much money to begin with but they make attack my relative because he owns a house. We may die from depression from going bankrupt. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst in case of a lawsuit but my family are still unaware of the whole situation which will give them a greater emotional shock.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:39 am
@Pinklovable,
Where do you live? (country?)

How can your neighbor cause so much distress in your family - over things that are small in importance?

They threaten you with words. They have not done any action.

Ignore them. These are unimportant issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:51 am
@Pinklovable,
Check to see if you can file a harrassment or restraining order against them. Not sure what the laws are, or what exactly they have done to you in regard to threats. I know where I live if someone threatens you on three separate incidents you can go to the police and have a restraining order put on them.

You have to have real threats though. If they are really threaten to kill you on three different occassions, where I live I can simply go to the police let them know the dates/times and exactly how I was threatened. Then the police will go to them, hand them a notice with a court date and in the mean time, they are not allowed to be within so many feet or to speak with you or they go to jail. Then on court date, both parties speak before a judge with whatever proof they may have (could just be your and other parties testimonies) and then the judge decides whether to continue the order for a period of time or not.

It doesn't sound like you ever got any sort of court order or visit from the police - if that is so, then there is no law suit - you need to be notified. You are not ignoring the lawsuit - I highly doubt there isn't one - just your neighbor trying to scare you.

And to let you know - threatening a lawsuit would not be considered a threat for restraining orders - it is more a threat about harming you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:57 am
@Pinklovable,
Stop obsessing about this.

Listen to your family - they are correct.

Make an appointment to talk to a counsellor at school about this. You need help dealing with your obsessions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:59 am
@Pinklovable,
Stop looking up American cases on the internet.

They are not precedents for Canada. Our judicial system is completely different.

Talk to a counsellor at school. You are upsetting yourself needlessly.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Also upon looking at these cases, in the first case, the family totally ignored the paperwork they were served. Stupid - since they were not there, the court had to rule in favor of the other party. All they had to do was show up and I am sure it would have been thrown out. They knew about it and decided because it was a dumb thing to be sued over, not to show up. They can still fight it at this point if they decide to get a lawyer and do so - which is likely what will happen.

They second case has not even gone into court - so you can't even determine whether it will result in anything. Also the difference in this case, is the worker had on protective gear and was using equipment that require it for safety reasons, but yet was working near where customers did not have the option for safety. Your situation is not a loud noise which would require safety equipment.

You are comparing things that are not compareable and also very unlikely and rare to happen that is why they are shown in the news.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm
@Linkat,
Hopefully the OP has spoken to a school counsellor about her obsessive thoughts.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 01:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah it is a little on the obsessive huh
0 Replies