Star wars fans and those who don't give a hoot

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 06:46 pm
We seem to filament here on a2k, but I'll guess that a huge percentage of usual posters are into space fantasy, and a lot of other fantasy. There are a zillion posts about that.

I'm not all that interested for at least one personal reason, my eyes do no see stars, retinitis pigmantosa. So, to me, threads on exhilaration about it are, sorry, boring. Boys and toys.

I'm interested in here, now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,495 • Replies: 9
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Space fantasy doesn't necessarily have to involve seeing the stars.

Were I blind, I suspect that I'd greatly enjoy an audio book of Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:17 am
@ossobuco,
I've loved Sci-Fi ever since I was a kid and saw Doctor Who. Having said that I'm rather ambivalent about Star Wars. It's not exactly challenging drama, repackaged pseudo Buddhism with a plot line so simple a four year old can keep up. The one twist "Luke I am your father," was 35 years ago, and there's been nothing since.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 04:08 am
@ossobuco,
Space Horror works well too. Alien is a magnificent movie, only slightly marred by that mysterious room with a ton of chains hanging down fom the ceiling for no apparent reason whatshowever,

Star Wars still fascinates me, and mystifies me in equal measures. Not so much due to the content, but how a bunch of friends of mine, who seem to be of fairly sound mind and body, manage to regress to a sort of borderline childhood state of mind regression in an almost Pavlovian response to those two words... Star Wars.

Although I did enjoy Yoda's impression of a bouncing ball.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:52 am
@ossobuco,
I enjoy it for mild entertainment.

I like the crazy characters that they come up - for example in the original star wars loved the bar scene for simply all the different type of aliens and looks.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 01:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm not all that interested for at least one personal reason, my eyes do no see stars, retinitis pigmantosa. So, to me, threads on exhilaration about it are, sorry, boring. Boys and toys.

I haven't seen any dragons in real life but I love Game of Throne. No human has ever seen a black hole but the science is still fascinating. Outside of Ian McKellen in his most famous costume, I'm sure Gandalf the Grey/White never existed in the real world.

I suppose you're being facetious there....
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:28 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Boys and toys.
I suppose you're being facetious there....

Very dismissive of a whole genre and if Osso isn't being facetious she needs her arm twisted something rotten

No boys and toys here.

http://one-elevenbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/atwood1.jpg

https://libcom.org/files/images/library/dispossessed.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:23 am
Yes, facetious. I know plenty of women who like science fiction and fantasy as well as guys do. Sometimes I'm amazed how much other people are into it all, which was my point. It's just a difference in me from others - some people have distaste for team sports from their childhoods, some people have not much interest in mathematics, and so on.

I presume it is a kind of loss-deficit of mine, that since my teens or a little later, I have pretty much ignored all that type of fiction, while I can understand that it can get quite interesting, with the "what if" conjectures being enjoyable. I still enjoy fiction, but more along the line of 'earth based' stories, seemingly reality driven, often semi-autobiographical.

On another thread a couple of hours ago, I said Jespah's new plan for a writing contest sounds good. I meant it, but it was the social part of her concept that made me interested, not the space travel.

I could blame all this on my lack of seeing stars at night, or only a few that I can remember, once in a while. I didn't know other people saw many stars in the desert at night until I was in my twenties - but I think I was more into reality stories even as a little kid, and those would have been what I got to see or read via my parents. I got more into reading as I read stories like Black Beauty and some history books for children in our school library, and later, Nancy Drew mysteries and my uncle's old paperback westerns, and Dickens; never was very interested in some woman who lived in a shoe, or girl who met three bears.

Anyway, I can surmise that the night sky and the array of stars can be a great source of wonder.

engineer

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:34 am
@ossobuco,
If it helps, you could consider Star Wars a Western.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:46 am
@engineer,
Or a rescue-the-princess-and-slay-the-dragon fantasy with glowing swords instead of, well, swords.
0 Replies