What's your flavour?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 33
No top replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:22 pm
i voted white bread. if god wanted us to eat brown bread he would'nt have invented wonder bread.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:26 pm
on guam we have three bakeries which put out a fairly decent product. almost everything else gets shipped in from far away, when foodstuffs, especially bread gets here, the brown is pretty hard and stale. the white varieties though are still pretty fresh, must be due to all those wonderful preservatives.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:32 pm
I find that brown bread wrecks the taste of whatever i'm eating in between the bread, you know what i'm saying?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:37 pm
yep, who wants bread that actually tastes like breads supposed to taste anyway..... Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:57 pm
A2K bread recipes
A2K's bread recipes:

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/Recipes/Breads/index.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:17 pm
Multi-grain bread for me.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:20 pm
ewww, i had to settle for that a little bit ago, all I could taste were the weird chunks inside it.....but I respect your opinion. Very Happy
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:22 pm
Wheat bread (which I assume is also know as "brown") is my choice.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:24 pm
Anything that isn't white, I consider brown, whether it's the kind with the chunks, or just the plain stuff.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:25 pm
I like the chunks :-D
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:25 pm
No chunks for me!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:30 pm
Ok, I'll be nice and won't make you eat chunks, but just this once ;-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:10 am
Plain commercial brown bread is generally just white bread with molasses added for colour.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:22 am
cavfancier wrote:
Plain commercial brown bread is generally just white bread with molasses added for colour.

Brown bread here gets its colour from the rye flower :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:26 am
Both, but rather brown bread.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:43 am
cavfancier wrote:

Well, then, molasses is some yummy stuff.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:36 am
I like all bread...the white is easier to form into bread balls..yummy....wait..i hate the one with the chunks too...of course being on Atkins i haven't tasted bread in a very long time...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:31 am
I'm something of a bread fanatic. I cant abide supermarketbread, except for the one single bake-off kind (a kind of waldkorn) thats pretty OK and of which I usually have one in reserve. Problem is most of the bakeries serve the same flaccid, tasteless factory-bread as the supermarkets - hardly any bakeries still bake their own bread, it all comes from one of two central bakeries. I've worked for one when I was a a student, and you dont wanna know.

So my choices are limited. One of the natural food store chains had a kind of bread that I ate for a long time - it came from the Jewish downtown bakery which has now closed though, so I dont know if they still got it. Curiously enough, the V&D department store has some pretty OK bread, for example small round white French rolls that are cheap and pretty good with cheese and a "nature seeds" bread that I buy a lot. Its the kind of bread that even just with butter, you cant stop eating it. I interchange it with bread from one downtown bakery/patissery thats got half a dozen kinds of bread that I havent seen anywhere else, and that are almost all good - definitely better than V&D's: Bond en Smolders. Less friendly opening hours though. Beautiful cakes, too.

The (expensive) alternatives are two newly opened "elite" bread stores: the Bakery Store and Crust and Crumbs (both only in Amsterdam and Utrecht). Neither of them actually bakes their own bread either (though the Bakery Store bakes all its own cakes, scones and quiches and so on) - they both buy from the Flemish Breadhouse, which as the CC website boasts is - don't laugh - "an artisanal, traditional sourdoughbakery", which uses "an ancient French grain sort that only rarely or on request is grown by French farmers [and] is still ground by the miller on millstones [..]. Salt is the only flavouring they add to our bread and it's Sel de Guerande, a naturally harvested seasalt from Brittany". Yeah yeah yeah, blablabla - but their bread, it must be said, is pretty good, if you like sourdough - and some of their specialty breads, for example their raisin bread, is delicious with butter. The French bread at the Bakery Store is great too, and of course their scones, which they serve with clotted cream and unparallelled home-made jams ... but I guess cakes and such are a different subject altogether.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:44 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

Brown bread here gets its colour from the rye flower :wink:

Heh heh, be thankful they still make real bread where you are. Don't get me wrong, we have lots of artisan bread here. My complaint is with the mass-produced crap, especially breads made with bleached flour (I don't buy them anyway). My pizza dough is made with a rye flour starter, then unbleached white flour, or a combination of that and whole wheat flour.
0 Replies