In the Dark of Night: The American Film Noir

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:33 am
Dan Duryea was in Scarlet Street with Robinson. Directed by Fritz Lang.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:16 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:58 pm
As to how much influence Heston had on hiring Welles as director was instrumental in his getting the job: "I would work in any film directed by Orson Welles," I believe is the quote from Heston. However, Welles was never happy that Heston gave into the studio and allowed the film to be butchered (Welles' words). The Mancini score is one I own on CD, albeit a mono recording. I am a Mancini fan but it wasn't meant to be in the original opening scene and provided incidental music for the rest of the film. Welles was quite specific that he wanted the tinny Mexican music to filter in and out of the doorways of each cantina or shop as the camera performed the tracking shot to establish atmosphere. Mancini immediately got the job of scoring "Peter Gunn" after his break with the music for "Touch of Evil." Obviously, the studio cut didn't do what the studio wanted it to do -- the film was relegated to a second "B" picture run and failed at the box office. Harry Keller was no Welles -- for me, the insertion of his scenes in the short version were jarringly out of context.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:24 pm
thanks Larry,
...I see the femme fatale, was Joan Bennett. I also noticed it was made in 1945. So many good things happened in that year. "Stork club", color TV was invented, radios were put back in cars,the war ended, Booman was born.....but I digress. Embarrassed
0 Replies