Car Odometer numbers...

lillegs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 05:40 am
On a car (England) odo trip, what are the numbers measured in?
For example, if the trip says 215.7 the 215 is in miles right, but how is the .7 measured?

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 06:21 am
@lillegs,
If your odometer labeled in miles then the 0.7 is a fraction of a mile. It is measured the same way.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 06:25 am
@lillegs,
Chances if you're in England it's measured in miles. Your question about the decimal reading is quite unclear. A fraction is measured the same way the whole number is determined.

In US, we'd express it as two-hundred-and-fifteen point seven. In UK, they'd express it as two-hundred-and-fifteen dot seven.

"Cars have speedometers shown in both miles and kilometers but with miles in larger numerals."
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 06:33 am
@lillegs,
I think this question is about the decimal separator which can be either "." or "," depending on what country you happen to be in.

In the US and England (I think) we would say "215.7". In many European countries, it would be written "215,7".

Just think of 215.7 as the same as 215,7.

I do work remotely on a computer in Western Europe while sitting in the US. This took me a little while to get used to when fractional seconds in the log files for experiments I was running came back in the form of 40,2 seconds.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
In the US and England (I think) we would say "215.7". In many European countries, it would be written "215,7".
Not only in many European countries (= all besides the UK and Ireland) ...

http://i61.tinypic.com/axfxvs.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/2usk1gn.jpg
(Source: wikipedia)
lillegs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:49 am
@lillegs,
What I really meant was is it metre's/yards etc?
I suppose thinking about it in fractions makes sense but I was looking for more of an actual measurement.
engineer

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:23 am
@lillegs,
It is in fraction of a mile. The odometer measures the number of rotations of the car axel and converts that into miles. Not miles and yards and feet and inches, just miles. When you see 0.7 miles, you could convert it into yards if you want, but it means 0.7 miles.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:25 am
@lillegs,
I'm even more confused as to what you're asking. 4 people have tried to advise you based on what we thought you're asking. Once again, UK odometers measure in miles and fractions thereof.

Are you trying to solve a math problem?
lillegs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:59 am
@Ragman,
No Ragman I am not trying to solve to a maths problem. It was quite a simple question really! There are a certain number of mm in a cm, cm in an inch, inches in a foot, feet in a metre etc etc.
Therefore I was trying to establish if the .x of a mile was an actual measurement based on this simple question.
It's all well and good it being a fraction. Of course it is. After all, all numbers are fractions of another number.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:04 am
0.7 is read as seven tenths of a mile.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:04 am
@lillegs,
I'm surprised that the odometer would be measuring in miles in England. I always thought they'd gone metric as Canada did. Our odometer readings here (in Canada) are in km.
lillegs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:05 am
@ehBeth,
No ehBeth here in the UK we measure over miles.
Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:11 am
@lillegs,
Quote:
After all, all numbers are fractions of another number.

What?! No, they're not. Whole numbers are not fractions and vice versa. Fractions and decimals are not whole numbers.

7 tenths is 0.7 ... a decimal or a fraction depending on how you want to look at it. The odometer reading has measured parts of a mile...7 tenths of a mile...or an approx 3500 feet as measured by the odometer based on criteria such as tire circumference and distances traveled., etc.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
How can the world be so wrong?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wonder what the designers of that graphic think Canada uses.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:15 am
Is there a proper way to read the comma in English?

If I saw "40.2" I would say that is "forty point 2".

How would I say "40,2"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:31 am
@lillegs,
You can convert those miles to kilometres by changing something on your board computer - but then 0,7 km still is 7/10 of a kilometre.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:32 am
@maxdancona,
Forty comma two
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:34 am
@maxdancona,
The chip log on our boat was even more wrong - it showed knots. And nautical miles.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter. I have been still saying "point".

"Forty comma two" seems a little more awkward... but that is probably just conditioning (more than the fact that there is an extra syllable).