The Martian anyone??

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 08:20 am
@tsarstepan,
How could I miss it ? An almost perfect experience. Aside from the storm strength in such a thin atmosphere and the lack of low gravity effects the film is very realistic. Must see for all.
farmerman

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 10:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
once a dust storm actually gets rolling, the entrained dust begins to act like a fluid. So, the density actually increases by way of the velocity and the energy therein is conserved in the particles. The average particle size is waay smaller though .
Thats why all those huge dunes on Mars exist, they are, sorta, like the walking dunes of the Sahara except that Saharan sand storms re usually only about as high as your Knees. The energy equation is unique for each fluid density and we can compute the energy budgets from the dune shapes and sizes.
There isnt much energy being transferred to do damage, since most of the prticles are so small. However, the dust and small sand of Martian storms will abrade like crazy.
Id love to take a trip just to see these forces in action in a whole different environment

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
Ty for the detail reply Farma hope you get better soon. Don't watch TV or you will get worse...
farmerman

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Im pretty much at 75% of fully gruntled. Ive been doing a lot of streaming and On Demand catching up on some programs.
BTW, I was more taken in by the science than most others. I have a habit of dispensing with realities quite easily , so I can make the jump without a lot of second guessing.

I was sorta backed 0ff by growing his crops in crap, although they briefly discuss the features of "compost " in the story.
0 Replies

Goliathus

Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:43 am
Its alright.. its algiht..
0 Replies

zeroyanke7

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 04:22 am
@tsarstepan,
Here is my opinion. I believe that we have bases on Mars. So seeing Matthew Damon planting potatoes and turnips and hoping for the best is kind of vintage 1960s for the people who remember the moon landings. I have had dreams where we are going to Titan. I believe people like Michael Bara when he says that they screwed up the atmosphere in the Martian. Making it too red. Actually Mars in the Martian looks like Titan Saturn's moon. "Where is my lost shaker and salt," says Jimmy Buffet.
How do we know that you can't totally take off your suit and oxygen mask and run and jog on mars. Matthew Damon is close to doing that in the movie. But I like him better in the Bourne movies.
I was having a conversation with myself the other day about favorite spaceships in movies and the spaceship in the Martian is probably my favorite. The audience doesn't want to be told they are stupid constantly. Look at crap like star wars, independence day, Babylon five. What is more like what we can actually do. Or conceivable within a hundred years. Other science fiction movies the technology is not conceivable in even a thousand years. I see the technology in the Martian looking at least possible a hundred years from now. And that is what the audience wants! Hint hint.
So Hollywood got some things right. And at least you don't see gun fights and people fighting over drugs and cartels and stuff on mars. Pretty peaceful except for the occasional wind storm. I hate how Matthew Damon has better internet connection than me and he is on a different planet with no power source other than a portable generator!
I don't know about the face on mars. Or Michael Bara seeing rats and lawnmower gears and tablets like the ten commandments lying around. Or sourcewatch websites like Sherry Shriner who says that Mars was the base for Lucifer and the fallen angels. Matthew damon luckily didn't have to deal with that. Of course the woman that gets murdered first in the movie aliens vs predator is wearing a christian cross.
My favorite part of the movie is definitely the Abba song.
The nephelim these beings are still here. Matthew damon lost focus with me after his Trump remarks. Seems like all of Hollywood is on mars these days in the wacky sense. I think the Martian was more about going to Titan. And the ship you see in the Martian (as cool as it was) looked like overkill. That is a titan Saturn spaceship.
Haven't seen the Martian in 3D. They have been playing it nonstop on HBO though. That and I am Legend and National Treasure. I wonder if there is a link between those three movies.
0 Replies