Life coach...anyone familiar with it?

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 07:36 am
It was suggested to me that my daughter could be fit from a life coach. Background...we had my daughter meet with a guidance counselor as her test grades tend to be low while the rest of her grades are quite high...after this meeting and speakng with me, they concluded. she may get test anxiety and also need help with test preparation strategies.

They suggested some techniques she can use within the school...they would try this out for 6 weeks to see if her grades improve and also to see a counselor to help with stress reducing techniques and a life coach to help with test strategies.

I am good financially with a counselor as I get 6 sessions at one cost and then a small Co pay if we need further. But nothing for a life coach other than referrals. What exactly is this ... i know generally, but what is the cost and how long...frequency, etc. I do want to help her, but it seems like it might be very costly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,503 • Replies: 8

roger

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:23 pm
@Linkat,
No idea. Someone here advertises him or her self as a life coach, but I have no idea of what it is, or there professional standards or certification involved. I'm not planning on stopping to find out.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:48 am
@roger,
Well we are starting with the counselor first - we have an appointment today - I will ask her opinion.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:55 am
i'm thinking of firing my life coach, at the end of this season (Dec 15), i'll be 0-53
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 10:37 am
So I received a link from the guidance counselor to get a life coach. The link stunk - basically it is geared more towards adults all I found were 3 in the area geared toward teens - and they were all counselors any way which we going to see today.

I think I will ask her - I looked up and found some study/tutor centers that offer test taking strategies. Individual costs are like $80 an hour. There is a sylvan center that is going to offer a class on this subject, but I want something specific for her - she is busy enough without taking another class that half of it might help her.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 10:57 am
@Linkat,
seems odd that they recommended two different coaches/counsellors - unless they've identified very specific for the counsellor to work on outside of test anxiety

a good life coach should be able to help her strategize the things she's involved with, and then work out an effective (for her) study practice

Sylvan is usually meant for academic prep, not counselling. I'd be cautious about involvement with them.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Well it worked out well with counselor. My daughter really liked her and said she prefers speaking with her over the guidance counselor at school. I asked if she would also be able to help with test strategy techniques and study skills ... which the counselor talked about do you think you study too much of the wrong thing and such ....so it seems she will be able to help with that.

I think we will work with her alone at least at this point. Especially since my daughter said she really liked her.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:23 pm
@Linkat,
that sounds promising
0 Replies

donna downing

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 12:48 am
@Linkat,
Hello

From what I know about life coaching is it's somewhat different from therapy. This is coaching or mentoring wherein the coach teaches and personally monitor the progress of the student. The coach will share everything he learned and will transfer his knowledge to the student. It's a more intensive, closely supervised learning experience. It can be a very beneficial approach . The only problem that can occur with this is the ability of the coach. If the coach is competent so will be the student.
0 Replies