Outsider Art is In - What do you think of it?

cobalt

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2002 05:28 am
This is a post to see what folks in this forum know about one of the 'hot' trends in the art

world that has been going along steadily in popularity for the last 25 to 30 years now. I am a big fan, and as a trained

artist, often yearn for the ability to go back in time and re-learn to be an artist strictly on my own experiments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,120 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 12:33 pm
In the more

commercial art market (that segment of the industry that targets decorative art venues) has been landscapes nearly two to one

over any other subject matter. Second is figurative. In the high arts, abstract is making a big comeback with conceptual

and figurative still holding its own. If you don't subscribe to Art in America, it is probably the best investment to keep

track of trends, keeping in mind that pluralism is really the dominant movement. Anything goes if it's well done, in other

words.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 03:53 pm
I had to laugh with

your last line, LW!

Anything goes if it's well done...ha ha! The purpose of collecting Outsider Art has more to do

with the fact that it MAY or MAY NOT be 'well done' but it does directly speak to the viewer. In fact, the individuality

of each carving, quilt, or painting is highly prized as being something so unique you will not find another item like

it.

As to Art in America, Outsider Art is more common to the pages of the trade magazines and journals used by

Antiques and collectible dealers. Interesting to have two different forces working on some type of "art", and investment is

only one part of the story.

I agree, pluralism is in, and abstract is gaining again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 12:08 pm
Something can be

well done and not necessarily have great technique. It can be a rebirth of primitivism (the commercial equivalent is naif or

naive art like Michel Delacroix). I've only been sketchily expose to outsider art -- any websites I should be aware

of?
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 02:24 pm
hmmmm LW, I will track down some good site links for you to view.

Odd that our posts have been getting some line-spacing that was not typed in that way - have you noticed this?

Ok, now that you mention Michel Delacroix, he is one that I definitely would NOT consider Outsider Art. He is a very successful decorative artist. Unfortunately, there is a large following in the public for "naive" paintings / prints that are nostalgic. Hence: Thomas Kinkade, Terry Redlin, P. Buckley Moss. Now, I know that some will be surprised that I've included all three of these in the nostalgia type, but they are also in their own way 'decorative' artists. Somehow I think that when they publish new prints about 3 to 8 times a year, at 25,000 in each "limited edition", that gets us pretty dern far from the 'country images' they are known for!

Ironically, P.Buckley Moss is the only one of the three I mention that has been formally-trained in art academia. So sad to see such talents as all three do possess - tossed away into 'formula' art!

Hmmmm, now to work on the Outsider Art sites....
0 Replies

MellowGemini

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
I wish to say I am a huge M. C Escher fan, Though on the other hand I also love piccaso, and several other painters that al use different techniques. I recently saw a book and it was inspired by an agency formed to help people that suffer from mental illness/ Bipolar. Some of the best free spirited emotional type pieces I have seen in a long time. They had every type of art in there. I will get back to you with the name of the book if you want.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 08:16 pm
Thomas Kincaid... Evil or Very Mad

I REALLY don't like that guy. At least, the cloyingly awful industry that's sprung up around him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 08:23 pm
Hi! Stuck my head in here because it looked interesting. First off, let me say that I know practically NOTHING about art after 1910. (Know a little more about music after that date, but not much).

You talk about "Outsider Art". Could someone give me a definition of this genre, and some links where I could see some representations of this style?

Thanks! Smile
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:26 am
Coming right up, Phoenix! Here is the first of several posts of links and explanation for "outsider art".

American Visionary Art Museum, Baltimore, MD http://www.avam.org/

"Treasures of the Soul: Who is Rich?"
Curated by Marcus Schubert

"My first encounter with the work of an "Outsider" or "Self-taught Visionary" dates back to 1983. While planning a journey through Europe to photograph landscapes and just prior to my departure from Canada, I viewed a television segment about Ferdinand Cheval's Palais Idéal. I was transfixed. Those few moments altered my destiny, triggering a study that transformed my notions about creativity."
American Visionary Art Museum
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:29 am
Next, from Artnet Magazine: an article with images of outsider art

irresistible outsider
by Alan Moore
Irrestitible Outsider

"This art really is irresistible. Most of its practitioners, despite the clamor of commerce that surrounds them, have the same appeal that Henri Rousseau had for the Paris bohemians -- an innate honesty. The work has a quality of moral integrity that, even when it's shot through with sentimentality, gives it the power of truth.

And of course, there's sex, violence and old time religion."
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:38 am
Clementine Hunter, Outsider Art - featured in VisionaryArt.com
http://www.outsider-folk-art.org/education/Clementine_Hunter.asp

"Clementeen" is a true outside artist, from Louisiana, born in 1892. Her paintings command high prices, and it is fun stuff. The story about her on this link is well-worth reading.
VisionaryArt.comVisionaryArt.com

Same website: "About Outsider Art"

"On this page you will find links to many sources of information on Outsider Art. Please feel free to browse through this section and take advantage of all of the information we have gathered on Outsider Artists. This division of our site grows as a labor of love. There are plenty of candid photographs, excerpts from popular books and magazines and other information on these pages. We have recently included MPEG video interviews of many of our Artists, so you may see and hear what these wonderfully talented folks have to say about art and life."
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:44 am
Minnie Evans is one of the most famous of the Outsider Artists: Here is a link to her picture with one of her religious paintings.

http://www.outsider-folk-art.org/education/minniewithart.jpg

From the same page:

"Minnie worked as gatekeeper at the Airlie botanical gardens in Wilmington, North Carolina, for over 25 years. This Eden setting worked well for her to develop her inspirations from God into the scenes for which she is known: distinctive totem-like landscapes of eyes, plants, animals, people, and angels blending together. She said "I have dreams of the thing, and I feel God gave me this mission to do this." Her first art exhibit was not until 1961, and she passed in 1987, leaving behind a large and highly collectible body of work."

Minnie EvansMinnie Evans
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:32 am
Cobalt- Thanks so much. This looks like some REALLY interesting stuff!

P.S. I briefly skimmed through the links that you sent. It is an education in itself. I especially liked the Visionary Art Site where you can view artist's works. Thanks again!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:06 am
Phoenix, glad you liked the links. I'm always especially glad to share something "new" with friends. I love to get links to new-t-me artists and sites, museums. I was surprised to see a whole museum devoted to outsider art - the one in Baltimore. Visionary Art - well that is an interesting spin to the "outsider" label. The hardest thing to work through is the fact that good Outsider art is NOT simply naive or primitive. Nor is it "bad", meaning not done well. The art must speak directly - there is either an obvious personal symbolism for the artist or there is a down-to-earth context meant for all viewers to share.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:18 pm
This art is playful and fun. It doesn't try to be high art and succeeds in it's simple nature.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:13 pm
I'm a big fan of tramp art, as well as outsider art. I've started a small collection of tramp art and would love to find more pieces. It is so rich in meaning to me.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:20 pm
Loving All Art
Is not a problem for me. The more I learn the more I apprciate all of it even if it does not send me to the moon and back. I think that any one who is able to put their ego down in any art form and sign their name to it is brave and worthy of my respect.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 01:21 pm
Outsider art
BJ, I just found your thread on outsider art. Thank you for the wonderful links to Clementine Hunter and Minnie Evans.

This art appeals on many different levels. For me, it is refreshingly free of self-conciousness and cynicism found in so much art. It is honest.

I love the bright, primary colors and the everyday scenes of life. To me, this art is about humanity and the beauty of being alive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 01:44 pm
Great links, cobalt. Fascinating and certainly viable trend within pluralism. There's several galleries in Santa Monica Calif. showing this art -- I'll just have to make that trek up to L.A. That means I can stop for lunch at Michael's!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 07:52 pm
outsider art
And what is the difference/similarity between art naif and art brut?
0 Replies