Adding recptical after light

jduider

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 02:33 pm
I need to add a receptacle to a wall that does not currently have one. The other side of the wall is a closet with an overhead light that is just a ceramic bulb fixture. Can I add an extension ring to the existing junction box to drop it into the closet. This would let me run the required conduit from the extension ring in the closet form the ceiling to the wall then I would go through the wall to to the new junction box. I'd put the light back on over the extension ring. I know the best thing would be to go fro the original box but it's not accessible without breaking out the ceiling above which is the attic full of insulation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 671 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 03:35 pm
@jduider,
To put a receptacle on the circuit, you need a certain wire size and breaker size. I think 12/2wg and 20 amp breaker. You need to make sure your system meets that requirement. You can probably look up the code for your state online.
jduider

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 10:10 am
@engineer,
The circuits in the house are all 20A. There are already receptacle's on this circuit. Obviously, this all depends on if the junction box is already too full or not. I'm just curious if the extension would be allowable by code or not.
engineer

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 10:24 am
@jduider,
I think you are fine as long as you have a ground wire in the box.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 12:58 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
a ground wire in the box.
And Jd it's important to distinguish ground from return even tho near the same potential
0 Replies