Mystery (solved) Creature in Baltimore Suburbs

Hamal

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
I missed that episode but it sounds hilarious. Just for a serious opinion on this I think that last pic that LittleK posted looks really close to me.

It's always a bit angering to me how people abandon animals - exotic or not- when they become a 'nuisance'. Of course there are other reasons, and yes I would agree abandoning children is more serious but still... To me life is life. Finish what you start.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 01:55 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
maybe the video's been doctored?

or was defect?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
pueo wrote:
hyenas run loose in baltimore?

I don't know about hyenas running loose in Baltimore but there is currently a hyena residing in the Governors Mansion in Annapolis. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:03 pm
I am not sure but I will run it by some biologists and see if they have any ideas. The distinctive mane on it's back is critical. It could certainly be shaved...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
i agree with roger, the snout looks much like a wild boar..it was also sniffling the ground in a boarish fashion... and some wild boars do have mane's like this one...as well as hairless hindquarters, i think.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
a skinny Phacochoerus aethiopicus?
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/5/51/Warthog_small.jpg
0 Replies

grantlaw

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:34 pm
The hyote . . .
That guy looks like an aardwolf to me. No idea why it would have lost its hair, but the body proportions, tail, head shape and all fit. I wonder if anyone would be able to make plaster casts of the animal's tracks . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:41 pm
I think all porcine type critters have big heads. Their heads are bigger, in proportion, to their bodies than are those of canines. Even when piggy is too skinny, it never slims down like that. I don't think.
0 Replies

geshem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:09 am
that s a nasty skin desease
I think it is some kind of dog (probably a cross breed of some kind nothing exotic though) with a very nasty skin condition. Probably a parasite, causing the dog to shed all hair.
0 Replies

dtbronzich

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:17 pm
baltimore critter
If you examine the jaw structure and overall body conformation, I believe you will find that there is only one animal that closely resembles this creature. The Thylacine cynophalus, or Tasmanian tiger. This was, or possibly is, a small dog like predator which is actually a marsupial predator. The question would be; how did it get here?? There were examples alive as late as 1923 in private zoos.http://www.austmus.gov.au/thylacine
0 Replies

Planet Z

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 02:22 pm
I just saw this story on CNN and they had a video and some new pictures. Still the quality isn't that great.
http://www.imake3d.com/images/Hoyote_1.jpg
http://www.imake3d.com/images/Hoyote_2.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 03:10 pm
Jesus!!! That poor thing looks so sickly. I don't understand why they don't catch it and help it out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
Looks a lot like a mangy dog to me. With prick ears and a long tail like that, it could be part terrier. Unless there's an escapee from a local zoo or circus, or someone has reported a missing exotic pet, the chances are good that it's a dog. Could possibly be a fox, but foxes have brush tails and are shyer than that. And I also don't see why better-quality photos couldn't be obtained. Hell, just put out some cat food and wait for it to come over.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:31 pm
Geez, if it is a dog with mange it is probably lonely and suffering.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:00 pm
Doesn't seem proportioned or articulated quite right to be a dog, but the pics aren't real clear, so mebbe. If I was to make a guess, I'd say it was a youngish red fox (a very, very common, though seldom seen critter, even in that part of the country), most likely a male, with a bad case of mange and probably a slew of other parasites and pests. I'd bet its inate shyness has been overcome by hunger resulting from impaired or underdeveloped hunting abilities. That's one sick-lookin' critter, whatever it is.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:13 pm
timber, I have a plethora of red foxes living in my area. To compare that animal to a red fox is like comparing osso's avatar to jespah's.

Ain't even close, brother.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:41 pm
You ever seen a badly manged, pest infested, starving, otherwise ill fox Gus? I have ... a few times, and some of those up close and personal ... as in extracting the critter from a trap ... and while I can't say for sure from what I've seen of the critter at question, that's sure as hell what that critter looks like to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:33 pm
Osso's avatar is barking in concern...
0 Replies

Planet Z

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:42 pm
The person that they interviewed that took these photos said he has seen 2 different animals but not at the same time. He says one has different colored grey looking spots on it. He thinks there are a family of them living in the woods.
0 Replies

Planet Z

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:56 pm
For those interested in seeing the news clip I have uploaded it to my webserver.

Hoyote video
0 Replies