Grammar

Igo

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:11 am
3 days kill
What is the meaning of and grammar? Please help to understand.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 542 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:16 am
@Igo,
There is not enough context to really give a good answer, so if you expect help with questions like this, you need to provide complete sentences, and preferably, the sentence before the one in which your phrase appears, and the sentence after that.

I will give it shot--if one assumes that it means kill in the sense of game animals, it would mean the total amount of game killed in three days.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:22 am
@Igo,
If by what you mean is a query about the phrase 3 Days to Kill,
it's a recent 2014 movie with Kevin Costner. The link to that movie can be found here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2172934/
Igo

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 06:12 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman, thank you for your reply. After i have seen this film, i still hesitated this idiom. Could you please explain to me detailed meaning and grammar?
Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:24 am
@Igo,
You're welcome.

However, I've no idea, frankly. I've never seen the movie. I'd suggest looking at the link I provided and in the plot description at the link for an explanation.
Quote:
A dying CIA agent trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter is offered an experimental drug that could save his life in exchange for one last assignment.

I'd only be guessing if I said that with his assignment he had 3 days deadline to kill someone if I were to take the phrase at its literal meaning.

I've been looking over it a second time and rethinking this a bit more...In conversational every-day English, the expression 'time to kill' means that someone has time to waste...or time on his/her hands. So this phrase would be a play on words.
Igo

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:21 pm
@Ragman,
@Ragman. Thank you for your explanation. "Time to kill" is a better for me on this idiom. :-)
0 Replies