GAMERS-is there something wrong with reality

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:08 am
I was doing some field wqork earlier this summer when it became my unique (and creepy) experience to have met up with three folks who, as "hourly temps" all in thir 40's, were heavy time gamers (You know what I mean).
These folks seemed to dwell in an alternate reality and had a faint odor of " Hogwarts street"

Ive since reviewed their job histories for consideratio n for hires in the company I had . Ive made my recc to my (ex) partners that we pass on these people .They weirded me out, and another of my partners agreed .
"Deez trrree folks iss wery weird" (Hes a Sikh).

They began serious gaming about a decade ago and have immersed themeselves into these "roleplaying" games.
I am totally ignorant of these things (I have enough trouble understanding the power and popularity of THE DONALD). Are role playing Quest type games common lifestyles among adults?
DO they really live in cellars of their parents?
DO they constitute a threat to the real world?

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:47 am
@farmerman,
Some of those weird troops make it to the top. Check out 'Big Bang Theory'
NSFW (view)
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 08:40 am
@farmerman,
Must be a lotta seller dwellin gamers on the line. Lotsa views but too many chicken **** cowards to respond.

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:30 am
@farmerman,
I think that you're not that far from the truth.

I think you advised your ex-partners well about the non-hiring. Having decent social skills make for a productive, relaxed and pleasant work environment.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:37 am
@Ragman,
are gamers necessarilly autistic? Thats a dirty question but I have my doubts about the many kids I know who excell at gaming and several other "savantish" functions bit are totally inept at social skills
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:14 am
@farmerman,
My thought is that autism is not as rare as we once thought - as reported cases are more able to be diagnosed and many more are being diagnosed more frequently than ever.

However, I'm loathe to see gaming and autism going hand-in-hand, exactly. Of course, I'm not saying that you're saying that either.

Extreme gamers or those that play daily for extending hours...are making that choice to socialize less and are often times less well-rounded and most likely not to be socially adept. Whether or not they're actually anti-social is long stretch, however.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 12:48 pm
@Ragman,
we agree on "weird" as a term that can describe a few?
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
Raising my hand (to weird). I'm weird and happy that I am. Functionally weird.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Are role playing Quest type games common lifestyles among adults?

I've never gotten into role playing. I've had friends invite me to play Dungeons and Dragons back in the day, but I always ended up bored and daydreaming about something else.

But Ingress looks like it would be fun to play.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_%28video_game%29
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 06:37 am
@farmerman,
I was trying to track down a few recent articles I read before posting. I'm having a hard time finding them so I'm replying as a way to bookmark this thread.

I do think there is a large subculture that pretty much lives their lives online. They team up with a group that play together every day and pretty soon they think everybody is as immersed as they are so it starts seeming normal.

That said, online is where kids hang out and socialize these days.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:14 am
@boomerang,
like the "walking dead". Ive been in restaurants where an entire family is sitting there on their phones and noone is talking with anyone else. What a dumass life.
Ragman

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:56 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
That said, online is where kids hang out and socialize these days.

On a positive note, one health risk is being minimized. There'll be little or next to no chance of any of these gamer addicted kids getting skin cancer due to sun exposure.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 11:28 am
@Ragman,
ha!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
like the "walking dead". Ive been in restaurants where an entire family is sitting there on their phones and noone is talking with anyone else. What a dumass life.

Are you asking roleplaying games, or online games in general?

I answered above regarding my views of roleplaying, but if you mean online games in general, in World of Warcraft I get to be an undead monstrosity who kills other players and eats their brains. Plus I take orders from a hot dead chick who tells me to commit war crimes.

Other people in WoW like to team up and kill difficult monsters (and some of the monsters are extremely difficult, requiring a large team of players coordinating with a high degree of precision in order to bring them down).

Some people get a lot of satisfaction from producing and selling in-game items and becoming in-game wealthy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

are gamers necessarilly autistic? Thats a dirty question but I have my doubts about the many kids I know who excell at gaming and several other "savantish" functions bit are totally inept at social skills

More like Aspergers, or a high functioning autism.

Nowadays, when I see someone behaving like you say, I don't tend to thinking of them as "weird" but more like they are just living in the world in the way that makes the most sense to them.

I dunno. The longer I'm around the less I see the benefits of everyone trying to live within certain boundaries of social accepted behavior. It playing video games in a cellar truly makes you happy and feel like that's your spot in the world, good for you. They do have a social network, it's just not yours.

Last time I looked, the Big Bag Theory is a made up TV show.Those aren't real people that are phds and ****.
0 Replies