Where have all the fantasy RPGs gone?

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:24 pm
All that's left of video gaming is warfare and legos-characters.... or so it seems.

Are there new games a la morrowind or mist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 8,730 • Replies: 62
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:31 pm
@littlek,
Fable, came out for PC, the sequel was xbox only, the third instalment seems set for PC but no release date

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_(video_game_series)

seems like the consoles rule over computers these days

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:51 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I loved Myst when it came out. The sequels were good and the graphics even better, but somehow they had lost some of that eerie "someone is watching you" quality to them.

I haven't seen any other games like it since then.
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:54 pm
@rosborne979,
Syberia and its sequel were pretty good games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:55 pm
Fable looks good. I can't see anywhere what OSs it will run on. It's old, will it run on windows 7?
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:05 pm
@littlek,
Fable: The Lost Chapters was released in 2005 for Windows XP, does Windows 7 have a compatibility mode like XP did

Fable: TLC contains the original Fable plus extras
littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:06 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks for clarifying.... I don't know how to check for compatibility.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:06 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

All that's left of video gaming is warfare and legos-characters.... or so it seems.

Yeah! What system are you looking for?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:08 pm
Windows 7 on a netbook (limited video card).
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:11 pm
@littlek,
looks like it should work

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:13 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks!

And a list of PC games in general. Lots of what I think of as "footballer mentality war games".
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=5&mode=all&sort=post_date&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc&official=all
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:14 pm
@littlek,
here's the min system requirements for F: TLC
Minimum system requirements
To play Fable: The Lost Chapters, your computer must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements:
One of the following Windows XP operating systems:
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
A computer that has a 1.4 gigahertz (GHz) equivalent or a later version processor.
Microsoft DirectX 9.0 or a later version of Microsoft DirectX. Microsoft DirectX 9.0c is installed by Fable: The Lost Chapters.
256 megabytes (MB) of system RAM.
3 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space.
32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive.
64 MB shader-capable video card.
A sound card and either a set of speakers or a set of headphones are required for audio.
A Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:15 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Windows 7 on a netbook (limited video card).

As they say on Mythbusters, Well, There's your problem!

Fantasy RPGs just aren't being made for the PC much anymore. But I have some further questions that could lead to suggestions:

- Are you looking for first-person style, like morrowind? You could try Oblivion, the sequel to Morrowind.

If you're willing to go to a post-apocalypse world (instead of fantasy they have high-tech), you could check out Fallout 3 or the sequel to it which just came out, new vegas. That one is pretty fun.

If you are willing to go to sci-fi stuff (they just call the magic 'psychic powers,' I'd suggest Mass Effect and it's sequel. You spend most of your time shooting a gun but it's pretty fun.

You might like Risen, a game which sprung from the Gothic series. I don't recommend Gothic 3, but 1 and 2 were great.

You might check out the Thief series too. 3 great games for the patient.

If you are interested in 3rd person or top-down games, I have about 100 more I could list here.

Cheers!
Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:17 pm
@littlek,
if you liked Myst you'd probably like Syberia I & II
littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:17 pm
@djjd62,
I played Syberia - did like them. But I lose patience with puzzle games faster than adventure games.
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:19 pm
@littlek,
there's a third one coming out soon
littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Um....

I actually have oblivion. i wonder if it'd run on this netbook (or is it a notebook - does it matter?). I haven't tried it.

I think guns are not my thing. For some reason bashing in heads with a sword seems to so much more civilized <grin>.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:21 pm
@djjd62,
Cool!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You might check out the Thief series too. 3 great games for the patient.

Cheers!
Cycloptichorn

I can't highly recommend the first 2 games from the Thief series. Vague Medieval city, one plays Garrett, a thief for hire. He's hired to stealthily break in buildings and homes and steal certain bits of jewelry and documents, etc....

The great aspect of the game is the more one confronts the guards, the harder the game is to succeed in terms of the individual goals. One must play as the ultimate prowler by hiding in the shadows and only attacking guards at the most discrete and necessary of times.

Be warned it gets pretty creepy and scary. The dark and gloomy atmosphere and the many things that go bump in the game make this a great first person stealth shooter.

The weapons of choose are swords and bows and arrows. Garrett is not a great sword fighter and it shows. Swords are the last resort for him. The bow and arrow is his major skill set.

I read though the third thief game was garbage but I do hold high hopes for the latest unreleased installment, Thief 4 which still is in production:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=81350002691
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
I just looked. I thought I had Oblivion... but I can't find it. Oddly I have two copies of Morrowind.
0 Replies