Does "that (clause)" refer back to "it"?

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:03 am
Context:

This book is rooted in the concept of scientific determinism, which implies that the answer to question two is that there are no miracles, or exceptions to the laws of nature. We will, however, return to address in depth questions one and three, the issues of how the laws arose and whether they are the only possible laws. But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of what it is that the laws of nature describe. Most scientists would say they are the mathematical reflection of an external reality that exists independent of the observer who sees it. But as we ponder the manner in which we observe and form concepts about our surroundings, we bump into the question, do we really have reason to believe that an objective reality exists?

- Grand Design by Stephen Hawking
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 353 • Replies: 6
No top replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 03:34 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of what it is that the laws of nature describe

it means

But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of what the laws of nature describe.

And for emphasis

But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of just what it is that the laws of nature describe.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:46 pm
"That" is being used as a conjunction " to introduce an anticipated subordinate clause following the expletive it occurring as subject of the verb: It is true that dental work is expensive."

From the American Heritage Dictionary, conj. def. 3.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:43 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of what it is that the laws of nature describe

it means

But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of what the laws of nature describe.

And for emphasis

But first, in the next chapter, we will address the issue of just what it is that the laws of nature describe.

So "that" refers to back to " what it is"?
McTag

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 03:57 am
@oristarA,

I thought I was being fairly clear.

But yes, I suppose so, if you want to look at it like that.
oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:58 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I thought I was being fairly clear.

But yes, I suppose so, if you want to look at it like that.

InfraBlue's a traditional explanation, while yours is very different and interesting.
McTag

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:26 am
@oristarA,

Glad to be of service. Embarrassed
0 Replies