Write 100 word paragraph using only 1 syllable words WINNER!

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
Last year, many of you will remember the fun we had writing a 100 word paragraph without repeating any of the words. Some wonderful paragraphs were received.

Once again, Marilyn vos Savant's column in the Sunday Parade Magazine has offered another writing contest:

"Strain your brain and give it a try. Write a 100-word paragraph with words of only one syllable---without repeating any words. Send it to [email protected] I will publish the one that sounds the most like an enjoyable, well-written paragraph. Another 10 good entries will be posted at www.parade.com on the Web."

But, first post your paragraphs here so we all can enjoy them.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 22,835 • Replies: 41
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
I find it very hard, as most words have more than one sound. I'm in thought as to if verbs and pro nouns miss this rule. Does one's voice count? I'll try add odd things, weird style from past times. But let's talk of some thing else. You must nae like 'ah hear me go on re dry themes. Bush, what d'you feel a propos his ideas? You'd like the guy whose name spells J F K to win? How much Bard d'ya read? Can you see him wrote with no long phrase? 'Be or don't' just ain't good, man.

0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
Nice, but "very" has two syllables...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
dròm_et_rêve
dròm_et_rêve, good effort, but you need to go back and get rid of a few words with more than one syllable and the use of a word more than once.

This is a really hard task, isn't it? But fun, none the less.

BBB
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
I think that I'll give this a try. What is the deadline for entries?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:12 am
Smog
Smog, no deadline was given in Marilyn vos Savant's column, but I wouldn't dally too long in submitting your entry.

BBB
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:29 am
There's a term for this sort of challenge (which maybe Marilyn mentions in her column--I didn't read it): It's called "constraint writing." These writers create a rule, then compose a story or novel abiding by the rule.

One example is a novel that was written without the letter "e" appearing. Even once!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:32 am
Oh! where I lived, quite a few people pronounced very as 'vree.'

Ok-- here is a quick re-edit:

I find it so hard, as most words have more than one sound. I'm in thought since this post came up; do verbs and pro nouns miss this rule? Does one's voice count? I'll try add odd things, weird style from past times. But let's talk of some thing else. You must nae like 'ah hear me go on re dry themes. Bush, what d'you feel à propos his ideas? You'd have the guy whose name spells J F K winner? O, how much Bard d'ya read? Can you see him wrote with no long phrase? 'Be or don't' just ain't good, man.

0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:36 am
Propos, two syllables. But otherwise, very impressive!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
Thanks, Smog!

Ah, propos can be 'when one scans.'

(Changing if to when, as not to repeat 'if.')
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
dròm_et_rêve
dròm_et_rêve, what is good about posting your draft submissions here is that A2K's great editors will catch any boo boos before you submit your piece.

BBB
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:59 pm
Has no one noticed "ideas" is multiple syllables?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:34 pm
I never thought of submitting it, BBB; I wrote it out of interest in your thread, and it's so about the place; too about the place to submit.

I changed ideas to 'creeds.' Thanks, Scoates.

I find it so hard, as most words have more than one sound. I'm in thought since this post came up; do verbs and pro nouns miss this rule? Does one's voice count? I'll try add odd things, weird style from past times. But let's talk of some thing else. You must nae like 'ah hear me go on re dry themes. Bush, what d'you feel à propos his creeds? You'd have the guy whose name spells J F K winner? O, how much Bard d'ya read? Can you see him wrote with no long phrase? 'Be or don't' just ain't good, man.

0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:51 pm
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
Words repeated: in, thought...I thought I saw one more, but still pretty good.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:03 pm
Thank you Scoates. Doggone it anyway. Sure enough, two "thoughts". I never would have thought to look for thought. I'll just pretend I said "care" in the third line. (lol)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:11 am
This isn't easy. But it's fun.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:24 am
At first, I thought this strange thing was just a dumb joke. Then it seemed some fine task, hard but fun, one would hope. Pen clutched in hand, words flowed, dreams spilled from nib to page. My muse, mage of sin tax, asked much. "Churn out good work, so we can make real fine coin," he shrieked.

"Go tend your lair, witch, you have no place here."

"Yeah, right. That's why the rent is not paid."

"Smoke and shite, ass."

"Ahh, kid shows great spunk. Well then…you'll be fine, hack."

What tear-stained fresh hell, poor, sad wretch, me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:28 am
Cav
Cav, sorry chef, I spotted two "was." Back to the stove.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
i wrote one yesterday, was all proud of myself, and about to submit...
when i realized i used a whole bunch of words more than once Confused

me-thinx its impossible...
0 Replies