What is the philosophy of psychopathy?

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 07:08 pm
What is the philosophy of psychopathy? Is there such a thing or is this just a silly question similar to what a father might ask his son? Such as "Boy do you want a spanking as if the son is going to say sure dad I thought you would never ask.

FBM

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 07:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
Seems to me this is more of an issue for psychology. Can you flesh out your question a little?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 07:25 pm
@FBM,
If we were to discuss the philosophy of religion how wold we treat it diferently than the philosophy of psychopathy? What does it mean to be psychopathic to you?

It seems to be a subjective experience to me and a perception as well.

Meet a scientist who claims to be a pro-social Psychopath. He seems to be a good man.

FBM

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 08:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Very interesting video. Thanks for that. I'm going to check out his TED talk after posting this.

Anyway, I would think that what neuroscience has discovered/is discovering about the organic causes of psychopathy and, by extension, the behaviors of those with the condition, would raise questions in ethics, first of all. To what extent can I be held responsible for having a different sort of brain that makes me act in certain ways that society doesn't like? Then it might add some fuel to the old free will-determinism debate. I'm sure there are more ways a philosophy of psychopathy could be done, too, but those are the first that come to mind.
FBM

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 09:05 pm
So, there's a quick test for that: http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/psychopathy.htm

Don't know how reliable it is.

Edit:

This one seems better: http://personality-testing.info/tests/LSRP.php
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 01:56 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Very interesting video. Thanks for that.

Your welcome. There are a few experts with in the field of Psychopathy who share their view points.

I have my own subjective understanding as well from being married to a lady for 30 years who was cluster b. It seems as though these disorders can intensify over time and sometimes medicine is given to these people that make them worse.
I think Xanax may be psychopathy/sociopathy in a bottle for some of these people.

From my studies it seems that the world has yet to come to a consensus on the definition of psychopathy/sociopathy.

This is a person who seems to be histrionic and borderline who gets what she deserves at the end.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 02:21 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
To what extent can I be held responsible for having a different sort of brain that makes me act in certain ways that society doesn't like? Then it might add some fuel to the old free will-determinism debate.

I do see your point and David Eagleman shed some light on this a few years ago.

There is a new video but it is longer.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 03:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
If we were to discuss the philosophy of religion how wold we treat it diferently than the philosophy of psychopathy?

You're comparing beliefs with the way certain people's brains work.

reasoning logic wrote:
It seems to be a subjective experience to me and a perception as well.

The way Fallon describes it, it's the way he responds to certain societal situations what with his lack of empathy.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 03:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Do you think that would be like comparing the Good ship lollipop to the good ship Jesus? One has chains and shackles and the other one does not. Can you guess which one had chains and shackles and was a real ship?

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 04:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
FBM

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 08:17 pm
Quote:
Philosophers can play a valuable role here in discerning the consequences of all of these findings for our attempts to build an ethical society. Several questions need addressing. What does the possibility that psychopathy is genetic say about human nature? What steps can we take to “correct” psychopaths and which of these is the most ethical? If it is true that psychopaths have damaged or abnormal brains, can we hold them responsible for what they do? Are there degrees of psychopathy, so that normal people may possess psychopathic traits?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mindmelding/201301/what-is-psychopath-0
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 11:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I do apologize if I come across as weird or odd. I have a sick sense of humor at times. I thought you may have been suggesting that we should compare apples to apples that is where I came up with the good ship lollipop and the good ship Jesus. Have you ever read about the good ship Jesus?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 11:51 pm
@FBM,
I like the info you come up with FBM it is always interesting.

Quote:
Are there degrees of psychopathy, so that normal people may possess psychopathic traits?

I would say yes, very much so. We have more of an interest in talking about wars than we do moral philosophy. Antisocial behavior seems more dominant than ethics for humans. We seem to have religion in a place I think ethics would serve better.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:34 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Are there degrees of psychopathy, so that normal people may possess psychopathic traits?

The speaker is saying that mentally ill people are no more likely to be violent than sane people. What ever sane is lol 19. minutes into the video

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:37 am
@reasoning logic,
No sir, I haven't.

What does that have to do with the philosophy of psychopathy?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 12:45 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
No sir, I haven't.

What does that have to do with the philosophy of psychopathy?

They had a different philosophy than most cruse ships.
It was the first psychopathic cruse ship to set sail to America. Look it up.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 01:35 am
I wonder what we would find if we were to look online. Would we find more videos and other related material closer related to psychopathy or ethics? Did you notice the big Christian Cross he is wearing?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 04:42 am
For those in this thread who are unfamiliar with RL, i have a few comments. I have no interest in talking to RL, who neither reasons, nor employs logic. He is obsessed with two things: psychopaths and youtube. He posts videos that run 15 minutes, 30 minutes or an hour or more, and seems to think that because he found them interesting, people here will, too; and that they should watch these videos so they can discuss them with him. It seems that he must have independent means, or has no social life and devotes all of his spare time to watching youtube videos.

He has said in the past that his father was violent, and that he considers him a psychopath, which may explain that part of his obsessions. However, this is the definition of a psychopath from Dictionary-dot-com:

a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

The woman in the video he posted (i don't have a problem with watching short videos) may have been having a bad day. She may have been venting at those fast food workers as a result of any number of frustrations which she brought with her to that store. She may simply have been honked off at them because they screwed up her order, and she's tired of the contempt and indifference of people who work in what is essentially a service industry. There is absolutely no good reason at all to assume that she is a psychopath, just because she lost her temper. RL has suggested in the past here that those who do not agree with him may very well be psychopathic.

Just so everyone knows what RL is all about--you've been warned.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 06:50 am
@Setanta,
This is a place for me to learn so please feel free to open up and let me have it.

Quote:
The woman in the video he posted (i don't have a problem with
watching short videos) may have been having a bad day. She may have been venting at those fast food workers as a result of any number of frustrations which she brought with her to that store. She may simply have been honked off at them because they screwed up her order, and she's tired of the contempt and indifference of people who work in what is essentially a service industry. There is absolutely no good reason at all to assume that she is a psychopath, just because she lost her temper. RL has suggested in the past here that those who do not agree with him may very well be psychopathic.

Do you feel a connection with that woman in the video? Was it like I struck a nerve inside you when I showed a video of someone who shares a similar character as you? Could you feel some sort of extension of yourself.
FBM

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 08:00 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I like the info you come up with FBM it is always interesting.

Quote:

I would say yes, very much so. We have more of an interest in talking about wars than we do moral philosophy. Antisocial behavior seems more dominant than ethics for humans. We seem to have religion in a place I think ethics would serve better.

Agreed. Also, I would point out the importance of context. Soldiers in battle routinely display psychopathic traits that would get them locked up in peace time.

https://www.google.co.kr/#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=trip-wire+vets

Also, the same person may be cold, calculating, ruthless and enjoy seeing his/her opponents suffer while he's trading stocks or arguing in court, but then go home and be a warm and loving spouse. I suspect that modern society may be pushing us to extremes of psychological compartmentalization and quasi-schizophrenia. So a philosopher might ask, "At what point is it insane or unethical to conform to societal norms that harm oneself and/or others? At what point is the sane or ethical choice to drop out, refuse to conform or rebel against society?"