Garciaparra and the Chicago Cubs?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:28 am
I am a huge fan of him as a player, he's awesome. Guy plays his ass off.
But he was leaving after the season, and was obviously miserable here. I think there had to be some motivating factor behind the trade that us, as fans, don't see, something to do with his relationship with the team. And I think he was a baby for openly complaining about the team trying to trade him for Gayrod.

-Edit....I really wanted to see him stay+resign, but I gotta accept it wasn't going to happen.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:47 pm
Just heard from Remy: Nomah told the team he will probably have to go on the DL in August to rest his heel a couple days ago.
Lucchino called Nomah 1/2 hour before the trade went down, and told him they were shopping him in a possible trade to the Cubs, and asked him if he was healthy. Nomah's response: "I am now."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 03:32 pm
that's shrub league by nomah. good riddance...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 04:59 pm
If that quote is true, it's really disheartening. I guess he was angrier than we all knew about the potential A-rod trade (Slappy, why do you have to use a hurtful slur ?).

I just wish we had been able to get Johnson. I haven't given up on the season, and I'm definitely not ready to go into "rebuilding" mode. Johnson would have really been a huge asset for right now, this season, which I refuse to believe is over.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
If they got Johnson for Nomar, that would have been great.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:09 pm
Quote:
this season, which I refuse to believe is over.

its far from over -- the sox are only a game behind texas for the wildcard.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
Texas has something like six pitchers who have started at some point this season currently on the DL. They are gonna wilt in August.

The Bosox ought to get in the playoffs.

And so should the Cubs.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:07 am
I can't wait to see Nomar in the World Series!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:30 am
maybe he's trying to increase his odds.
the red sox last won a series in 1918, but the cubs haven't won since 1908...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:17 am
I've always said I'd love to see the Cubs/Red Sox in the world series...two classic teams, awesome parks, great fans. It would be, as we say, "wicked pissah."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:47 am
It was a smart, cerebral, trade for both teams.
Baseball is a constant individual duel, but a team game.

The Red Sox were doing better when Garciaparra was on the DL list.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
The consensus around here is that Jim Hendry, the Cubs GM, pulled off another highway robbery (for more analysis, see here). Last year he picked up Aramis Ramirez and Randall Simon from Pittsburgh for the stretch drive, giving up dross. This year he gets Garciaparra for, in effect, Alex Gonzalez and Francis Beltran (plus a swap of two comparable minor leaguers). Gonzalez has been injured and inconsistent: when he's healthy he's a good fielder and a .250 hitter with a above-average power for a shortstop. Beltran has been up in the bigs a couple of times, but he has yet to show any major league promise. In return, the Cubs get a guy who is an average fielder and a .320 hitter who can hit 20-30 HRs in a full season. It would have been nice to get Randy Johnson, but Nomar could be just the guy to push the Cubs into the wild card spot.

Sure, he's going to be a free agent at the end of the season, but now that he's in a Cubs uniform the thinking is that it will be much easier to sign him to a contract. All in all, I think it was a wicked awesome trade.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:20 pm
It seems Chicago definitely got the better of this trade. Frankly, I don't know what the Sox ownership is doing. None of thisd makes sense if you're really going for it all this year. Makes a little more sense if you're in rebuild mode, but they have not admitted that ........ yet.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:34 pm
The Sox management is always playing the "shorts vs the longs". Basically, they're cheap!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:35 pm
By the way, is Daley paying to get Wrigely repaired, so the fans aren't slugged in the head, during games, by flying concrete?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
Quote:
The Sox management is always playing the "shorts vs the longs". Basically, they're cheap!

i beg to differ...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
Yes, I was just going to say, the Red Sox have the 2nd largest payroll in MLB. They're far from cheap.

Read Gammon's article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1850438
The Red Sox apparently were stuck with a very unhappy Nomah who told them he might have to sit in August. What good would he be to them if he barely played? Guiterrerez, their backup, isn't a guy you want out there every day. Of course, Nomar's side of the story is different.

And Angie, they didn't put together a team to "rebuild." Remember Curt Schilling, Pokey Reese, and Foulke in the offseason? Don't go bashing Theo all too much...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
Miller wrote:
By the way, is Daley paying to get Wrigely repaired, so the fans aren't slugged in the head, during games, by flying concrete?

Daley? No way. He's a White Sox fan.

Besides, the Cubs are owned by the Chicago Tribune Co., and Daley and the Tribune don't always get along.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:34 pm
I think the biggest problem people have is, "did they get enough value for Nomah?"
I don't really think so, but I think at the deadline they pretty much wanted him out. Who knows, hopefully these new guys do well.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:19 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:

i beg to differ...

The Sox Management has a big payroll, but they're "cheap" in their philosophy of how a baseball team, should be run. Basically, they nickle and dime everything. A quality payer, hates that, since this kind of treament,in my opinion, makes a quality player feel like a prostitute.
0 Replies