Garciaparra and the Chicago Cubs?

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 05:40 am
How likely, is it, that Nomar will be leaving the Red Sox for a transfer to the Chicago Cubs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,659 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
from what i'm reading up heeyuh in the local papers, the deal is contingent upon big randy agreeing to go to the sox.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:35 pm
Don't think it's gonna happen.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
Agree
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:39 pm
I hope not.

Nomar is the best ! Talented, hard-working, humble. He was badly mistreated by Theo-the-Great-One, who also failed to sign Lowe, Martinez, and Varitek, and, in not doing so, has pretty much destroyed the team's cohesiveness.

Now there are those who say "well, they offered him $60 million". All salaries in MLB are absurd, so it was not unreasonable for Nomar to think he should get more.

Ortiz was the only one signed, and he is having a career year.

I am so NOT impressed with Epstein.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:33 am
Nomar's a great player, but I don't know why he was so pissed they tried to trade him...he turned down a contract, then they tried to trade him? What's the big deal? Makes sense to me. If anything, you'd think Manny would have been sour, and look at him. That's not Theo's fault.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
He (Nomar) made a counter-offer, which was ignored.

He's a decent guy, and if he feels he was mistreated, I believe him.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:31 am
Ortiz? He's out for the next 5 games. Bad temper!
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:01 pm
This team has very little heart right now.

Nomar always played hard and with spirit, but Theo ruined that. Varitek, too, is missing his extra edge. Lowe is off fighting his inner demons somewhere. And Pedro is showing just enough to convince other teams he's still got it; his prima donna feathers were seriously ruffled when his contract demands were not met.

Poor upper management all around.
0 Replies

Doins

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
Yea the red sox aren't doing too hot mentally...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
We're really glad you've got such a firm grasp on the team's mental state, angie. Pedro's just fighting to show he's still got it, huh? But yea...they suck right now.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:56 am
I think you misunderstood my comment about Pedro. He seems to be just showing enough to be sure other teams don't think his career is over. I don't sense that he is giving his all. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 03:12 pm
SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evil or Very Mad nomar's been traded ?? i'm in shock Shocked

ESPN is reporting a 4-team trade:
Quote:
The Red Sox dealt their shortstop to the Cubs today in a four-team trade, getting Orlando Cabrera (Expos) and Doug Mientkiewicz (Twins) in return.

i don't think the trade's official until the commish approves it...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:22 pm
this is a sad Sad sad day up heeyuh in red sox nation...
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/0731/photo/trd_gars_ft.jpg
0 Replies

Doins

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:20 pm
w00t!! w00t!!
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:58 pm
Boston loses a class act. highly talented player and gets two so-so ones in return. Yep, great move Theo, this'll definitely help our World Series cause.

I guess when you're spending 100 plus million dollars, I don't get why you get fiscally tough with one of your best.

Does anyone think he'll stay in Chicago at season's end ? Can they afford him ? Will they pay him what he wants ? Is L.A. still an option ?

(sigh) I will miss him.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:30 am
Why do the Red Sox work so hard, to hurt themselves?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:47 am
It's hard to imagine that the circumstances over the course of this season (including the pre-season) led to this.

This might be as bad as letting Clemens go to the Yankees.

As far as the Cubs are concerned, they still won't catch the Cards. They still have a shot at the Series coming through that hole, but only if Prior gets well and their bully nuts it up.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
Everyone's bashing this trade, but you gotta look at the other side of the coin. It's been reported Nomar was a cancer in the clubhouse...I mean, he's STILL pissed about them trying to trade him in the offseason? C'mon, move on buddy.

I know he's pretty much a jackass as a writer, but he gets to see first hand what the clubhouse atmosphere is like and how players are behind the scenes...
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/08/01/in_short_it_was_time_for_him_to_go/

Fact is, he was leaving when the season was over. They had to get something for him rather than watching him just walk. Now we've got 3 gold glovers in the infield. Also, I heard...Nomah said something along the lines he told the Sox before the trade he might have to sit out until Sept to rest his heel, but if he goes to the Cubs he can play. What does that tell you?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
Wow, I never thought I would see you turn on him so quickly, Slap.

Weren't you a huge fan just a coupla days ago?
0 Replies