Queen of the pressure cooker!

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:43 pm
I finally did it!
Just decided that yesterday was the day to take the bull by the horns, be brave & ACT! I'm so very, very impressed with myself, I just had to tell you all about it: I FINALLY USED MY PRESSURE COOKER! Hooray!

A couple of years ago I created a thread on Abuzz about my fear of the P.C., with every intention of getting stuck into using it:

http://nytimes.abuzz.com/interaction/s.248006/discussion_in_list/ci/2/

But did I? No, too scared!
So with the whizz-bang updated model I bought last year (!) I thought I'd have another go. I'm delighted to announce that I produced an excellent meal: Garlic lamb shanks. AND all this without any explosions!

So, dear A2Kers, I would appreciated any of your tried & true, favourite P.C. recipes. Preferably not TOO complicated.

This is gonna be fun!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 5,749 • Replies: 41
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:56 pm
Good for you msolga! <pats her on the back> I have been using one since I was a teenager. I have lots of recipes and will be back later to post some.

Years ago, my brother stayed at my home while I was on vacation. He decided to try out my pressure cooker and make spaghetti sauce. He learned the hard way of letting the steam out…my kitchen ceiling was covered with greasy orange sauce…it was a really big mess that wouldn't wash off.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:04 pm
Many thanks, colorbook. I'm looking forward to your recipes.

Ah, your poor brother! Precisely what I'd anticipated would happen to me! I take it these days he's not as keen on the wonders of the pressure cooker as you?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
O congrats on getting over your fear, msolga! Childhood comfort food, to me, is the beef stew my mom made in the pressure cooker... Just a simple stew of beef, potatoes, carrots and onions, with an unthickened broth... then when it was almost done she would drop big spoons of biscuit dough on top, put the lid back on, and steam them into dumplings. Yum!

makes me want to go buy a P.C.!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
Way to go msolga.

Anybody know how long to cook spaghetti (not the sauce) in one of those things?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:02 pm
msolga- Good grief! I didn't know that people even used pressure cookers anymore. Years ago, I once made soup in my pressure cooker. I just threw in everything that I had in the house......a little of this, a little of that, many different vegetables, beans, some pasta, pieces of beef, etc.

My husband said that it was the best soup that he had ever eaten.There is something about a pressure cooker that amalgamates the ingredients in a way that cannot be duplicated by other cooking methods. About a week later, he asked me to make some again. For the life of me, I didn't have the foggiest idea of exactly what I had put in it! Embarrassed
Wy

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:22 pm
I don't know that it would be of any benefit to try spaghetti in a P.C. What you are trying to do with pasta is soften the dried wheat (by having it absorb water). What a pressure cooker does, essentially, is cause the ingredients to meld the way they would with long cooking... the pressure gets it done faster. So I think that even minimal time in a pressure cooker would give you something more like porridge than spaghetti.

Stick to sauce in the P.C. (and from scratch at that, not just gussying up a jar of Ragu) and leave the noodles in a big pot of water.

Things you might have to cook for hours are more the kind of thing to try under pressure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:41 am
Things like sauce have the potential to plug up the steam vent, and I'm scared of that.

I want my spaghetti cooked, but not mushy. At 5,000', it needs a bit of salt to raise the water temperature. I would like to get away from that, and a pressure cooker should do nicely.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:10 am
Wy wrote:
O congrats on getting over your fear, msolga! Childhood comfort food, to me, is the beef stew my mom made in the pressure cooker... Just a simple stew of beef, potatoes, carrots and onions, with an unthickened broth... then when it was almost done she would drop big spoons of biscuit dough on top, put the lid back on, and steam them into dumplings. Yum!

makes me want to go buy a P.C.!

Oh, DO, Wy!!!! The PC makes one feel very virtuous! Laughing All that saved energy, the GOODNESS of the food, the cleverness of it all! See, I'm a convert already. Razz

Thanks for your congratulations. I deserve some. Bloody frightening, the first time, I tell you! Laughing

Biscuit dough? Now that's interesting! Idea
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:13 am
roger wrote:
Way to go msolga.

Anybody know how long to cook spaghetti (not the sauce) in one of those things?

Thanks, roger. Yes, Wy is right. Pasta is better cooked the regular way. HOWEVER, a pasta sauce that usually takes ages on the stove top would be brilliant in a PC!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
msolga- Good grief! I didn't know that people even used pressure cookers anymore. Years ago, I once made soup in my pressure cooker. I just threw in everything that I had in the house......a little of this, a little of that, many different vegetables, beans, some pasta, pieces of beef, etc.

My husband said that it was the best soup that he had ever eaten.There is something about a pressure cooker that amalgamates the ingredients in a way that cannot be duplicated by other cooking methods. About a week later, he asked me to make some again. For the life of me, I didn't have the foggiest idea of exactly what I had put in it! Embarrassed

Phoenix

I understand that they've become quite fashionable again! Very Happy What with all these busy people with so little time to cook wanting wholesome, homely food again. (Risottos, even!) And you should see some of the exquisite (& very expensive) little models on the market these days!

Yes, I'm told that soup made in the PC is the soup of the gods! Laughing I have yet to make one, but I'll report back when I do.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:28 am
roger wrote:
Things like sauce have the potential to plug up the steam vent, and I'm scared of that.

Pssst, roger, do you have one of the scarey OLD models? If so, why not do what I did?: Replace it with one of the new fangled ones. Much easier to manage & not the horror movie experience of the oldies. Trust me, it's a fantastic improvement! If I can do it, you can! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:13 am
No great PC recipes to share? Oh well, never mind ...

I question, though: How do you get the odour out of the damn thing? I cooked lamb shanks & despite a thorough wash afterwards, the pong persisted! Shocked Have given it a couple of blasts with water & chopped up lemons & I think that did the trick ... But I think that episode has put me off lamb for life. Erk.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:35 am
I made a very simple chicken soup in my PC last night. Very quick & very tasty. Just the thing for one of the coldest August nights in years! Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:58 am
roger wrote:
I want my spaghetti cooked, but not mushy. At 5,000', it needs a bit of salt to raise the water temperature. I would like to get away from that, and a pressure cooker should do nicely.

One good thing to remember when cooking pasta is to bring the water to the boil before plunking the pasta in, that way it softens nice and quickly (so you don't have to break your spaghetti to fit it all in the pot) and it's less likely to clump together. No salt required.

Msolga, you've inspired me! i may just have to go out and get myself a new pressure cooker. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:02 am
Oh, do it, fortune! The new ones, though a wee bit expensive, are nothing near as horrifying as those old rattly models!

How about soup in 20 minutes? Flavours sealed in? Yum! Very Happy
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:40 pm
I've come across what I think is the original recipe for KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), original, extra crispy, hot and spicy, etc. I wish I had a pressure cooker - I'd try it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:34 am
But wouldn't the original KFC require frying, mckenzie?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
msolga, "fried" in shortening in a pressure cooker. The shortening is heated to 400 degrees, the chicken is dropped in and when the pressure builds up, the chicken is cooked for 10 minutes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:40 am
Oooooooooooooooh, mckenzie! I wouldn't DARE attempt anything like that! Shocked
0 Replies