Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 08:22 pm
@Dropship,
Nice. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:04 am
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
I know that there are still some twisted things in my brain. I want to weed them out. I've been trying to do it on my own because I don't like asking for help. Primarily because I have spent the last 15 years being wacked from every angle you could think of and I am tired of it. I do still believe in God, but I also know there are greater truths to be discovered due to some of the false things I have believed.

I'm not qualified to help you with most of what you wrote. I know how science currently understands the Universe and I know what works for me, but I don't know the path you've traveled or what might be blocking your way ahead.

But if it helps, I can tell you from my own experience that there is a non-religious view of the world which is profoundly elegant and rewarding and comfortable. For me it comes from simply observing and understanding the natural world without judging it. I don't need to go to church to see it, I don't need to hear it from someone else. It doesn't ask for money and it doesn't ask me to believe things which don't make any sense. We are born with it and it is the first way we perceive the world. We carry it with us all the time and as long as it isn't blocked by the rubble of false assumptions and religious dogma, it is refreshed every time we stop and look around.

I hate to quote old TV shows for advice, but I'm going to do it anyway, so as Master Po once said to young Caine, "Know when to let go of the things which no longer serve you".
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 11:47 am
Do people who use the spelling "athiest" come from the same zone of Planet Ignorant as the ones who write "Isreal"?
Joe Sixpack

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 01:59 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
Do people who use the spelling "athiest" come from the same zone of Planet Ignorant as the ones who write "Isreal"?
Athiesm is a new belief system and you all fell for the OP trap.

Trust me. Athiesm Isreal!

I've been waitin' fer days to say that.

What? . . . .. .

Yes dear!
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 02:37 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I did misspell that, didn't I? Lol Unfortunately, all I have to work with right now is my phone, and that darn auto correct kicks in on words I have recently misspelled and I just don't catch it soon enough! So if I evernrandomy postnaweird statement likenthis... That's why! Smile that is also why I have edited almost every single post I have written. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 04:49 pm
@Joe Sixpack,
You're an idiot, Neo. Atheism [sic] is not a belief system, it's a silly word for an absence of belief. Quite apart from that, it's thousands of years old. The ancient Greeks and Romans railed against those who would deny the gods--which they would only have done if people were actively denying them.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:00 pm
@Setanta,
I am curious Setanta, what difference does it make how old the word is? Or were you speaking of atheism being that old?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:36 pm
@Joe Sixpack,
Joe Sixpack wrote:
Trust me. Athiesm Isreal!

I've been waitin' fer days to say that.

What? . . . .. .

Yes dear!

Laughing
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:40 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Atheism [sic] is not a belief system, it's a silly word for an absence of belief.

I am an atheist. I have plenty of beliefs, one of which is that there is no god.

There is no absence of belief in my case, and I think that this whole doctrine that "atheism is the lack of belief" is silly.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Agreed...at least about the atheist/belief thing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 08:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're an idiot, Neo. Atheism [sic] is not a belief system, it's a silly word for an absence of belief. . .
OK, I confess to being an idiot. In fact, I am Joe's sock puppet and have been all these years.
Embarrassed
I'm so ashamed.
And Joe just wanted me to say he was trying to inform Tes there really is a belief system called Athiesm. It's a recently contrived offshoot of dorkism headed by Dr. Horace Zass, a defrocked proctologist formerly of Seacaucus Flatulence Institute. It currenly has a membership well into six figures including pyknic and asthenic.

Sorry to have offended the group. Joe too.
He isreally sorry.
onevoice

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 10:17 pm
@neologist,
Lol! Oh my goodness! That laugh coud not have been timed more perfectly. Thank you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:09 am
@onevoice,
It's not about how old the word is. The word is only a few centuries old, although it is a cognate of a Greek word which goes back thousands of years. Yes, the lack of a belief in a god or gods is that old. Despite what that jackass here who always wants to pick a fight says, the majority of people who get labeled atheist are people who simply don't believe, not people who assert taht there is no god.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:24 am
Religious Tolerance dot org is the go to site for questions about religions of all kinds, and for questions about irreligion or antireligion. To see their page about "atheism" click here. Most surveys i've seen (and acknowledging that surveys about atheists are highly unreliable) list so-called "weak atheists" as the majority--those are people who simply don't believe (and in my personal experience, don't care) rather than those who categorically state that there is no god. One of the reasons i really detest holy rollers who show up ranting about atheists is that they see them as some sort of monolithic antithesis to theists. There is as much variety among atheists as there is among the adherents of any religious confession. Making generalized statements about atheists and what they allegedly believe is really stupid.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:47 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Atheism [sic] is not a belief system, it's a silly word for an absence of belief.

I am an atheist. I have plenty of beliefs, one of which is that there is no god.

There is no absence of belief in my case, and I think that this whole doctrine that "atheism is the lack of belief" is silly.

The idea that atheism is just "a lack of belief in a god" is an absurdity that debating atheists invented so that they can pretend that they do not "believe" there are no gods.

Some atheists actually buy into it.

Good to see you are not one of them, Max...but be prepared to have some people accuse you of being a sock puppet.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:21 am
Pretending to know what's going on on other people's minds is an act of the utmost stupidity.

It denotes supreme arrogance and crass ignorance of the mental processes, let alone other cultures.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:30 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Religious Tolerance dot org is the go to site for questions about religions of all kinds, and for questions about irreligion or antireligion. To see their page about "atheism" click here.

religioustolerance.org has been a great resource for questions about religion/spirituality etc for many years. I can't support this recommendation enough.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:50 am
I think Asrael has no religion, he is always planning at heist..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bRnjaq0UeOo/T_LqtEOOxUI/AAAAAAAAC1E/dHIXX6l05DY/s1600/Azrael_Smurfs_Suk_laurson.png
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:01 am
What was it, Neo, that made you delete your post?
neologist

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:58 am
@timur,
timur wrote:
What was it, Neo, that made you delete your post?
I thought it would be better to allow the thread to continue according to the intent of the OP, rather than continue my sarcasm.
0 Replies