Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 07:11 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
I am curious... If science does not call the universe and all its contents a "creation" what does it call it?

When I worked as a scientist, we just called it "the universe".
FBM

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 07:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Being comfortable with "I don't know" doesn't mean that you need to stop trying to figure things out. Continuing to study and explore is the scientific way.
Jeez! You and KBM are a scream.

So my question is - Will you let me know when you guys find God in your microscope, telescope or test tube?

You bet! It'll be all over the news and somebody will have won a Nobel for it. However, since there aren't many scientists promoting the god claim with your zeal, they don't bear the burden of evidence. Those making the claim do. So, how about letting us know when your god shows up somewhere so we can have a look, too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 07:44 pm
@BillyBarnes89,
BillyBarnes89 wrote:

Nonetheless...Simply being comfortable with the unknown, is an excellent definition of faith.
How do you figure that?
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 08:03 pm
@BillyBarnes89,
Quote:
To me, I feel like "born from the unknown" sounds like faith.

Saying that you are born from the unknown is an acknowledgment of your lack of knowledge or information, and cannot really be considered an example or an act of faith. Claiming to be born from the unknown is an honest statement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 01:47 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
onevoice wrote:
I am curious... If science does not call the universe and all its contents a "creation" what does it call it?

When I worked as a scientist, we just called it "the universe".

I don't think you're goihg to get a replay from the author. Although she was active here for a while, i think she has "moved on."

It is interesting, however, to contemplate the attitude that insists upon a creation. At some point, and probably many thousands of years ago, humans would have been looking around at their world and wonderful from whence it derived. The notion of creation is rather a simple-minded response to their world's existence. It must have run something like this: I make my tools, my clothing, my leather and hides, my bone and antler and wooden implements--who then made this larger world. At that point is the jumping off point for shamanism. I doubt that anyone thinking like that was interested in discussing whether or not the question was valid, but rather, looking for an answer to it. Even in such a early stage in human development, people were likely to be prone to skepticism. The shaman would have to have plausible. For example, proposing the sun as god begs the question of how things came to be on the earth, given that the sun is observably remote. That would have required at the least an intercessor. It would have required an agent for the sun god who was available to work here on the earth. I am certain that just as humans have always produced intelligent individuals, they have also always produced skeptical individuals. They would have run the gamut from the mildly skeptical to the unbelieving who would not even accept the shaman's god concept. By the time the temple societies arise, about 6000 years ago, the apostate who questions the very existence of gods would either have to keep his or her mouth shut, or rise to a position of power in the priesthood.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Leadfoot quote:
"You know what Frank, If I spent my money on $5000 a night whores, I'd feel like I got a better deal than spending my time replying to this post of yours."

At $5000...I would hope so
I was just checking your values.

Not that I think it is 'wrong', but I would get nothing from paying for sexual intimacy at any price. My time is worth more than nothing though.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:24 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Leadfoot quote:
"You know what Frank, If I spent my money on $5000 a night whores, I'd feel like I got a better deal than spending my time replying to this post of yours."

At $5000...I would hope so
I was just checking your values.

Not that I think it is 'wrong', but I would get nothing from paying for sexual intimacy at any price. My time is worth more than nothing though.

Whatever!

But as I said, I thought I was agreeing with you.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 11:26 am
@Setanta,
No. I have not "moved on". I have rather been struggling with some things, and chose not to bring those things here. I do not wish to burden anyone with my personal turmoil. However, in the midst of this chaos I am finding a much more defined definition of myself. Understanding a little better those things that matter... And those things that really just... don't. This would be one of those things that doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme of things.

We can call " it" whateer we want to. We can acknowledge a creation made by a great Creator, or we can choose to disengage completely from all such thinking. Either way doesn't change the actual truth. That is something that can only be reconciled in an individuals heart. To find the truth. Isn't that what we all want? Aren't we all on a journey of sorts to find some truth in our lives?

Well, for me, that is the common denominator for us all. The thing that causes me to look around and not see "sinners" who need to "turn or birn", but rather fellow humans, searching... Just like me. Not enemies against " my truth", but friends who I would extend my hand out to help in any way I could because I'm no "better" than anyone else in this world. Love changes everything. Everything. I know because it changed me, which by human standards would have literally been impossible to do.

So I sit... Quietly for now... Waiting. I am not sure for what exactly. I am only sure that I will not repeat previous steps in my life. They didn't get me anywhere last time, and I'm about tired of spinning my tires and going nowhere... However, there has not been a day that has gone by that A2K has not crossed my mind. My heart is still with you all, even when I'm not. That's the truth. Smile

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 01:25 pm
@onevoice,
I was speculating in the absence of data.

You are a talib on your tariquat, as the Sufis would say.
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 01:32 pm
@Setanta,
A what on the what as the who would say? Lol... Please excuse me.while I looked that up! Hehe

Edit:

Got it! Set... You are golden. Smile

Welp... I'm off to see the wizard... Lol
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 01:38 pm
@onevoice,
Talib is a seeker, it's also a cognate for a student. Tariqat is the spiritual journey that everyone takes, whether they know it or not. All this is courtesy of Sufism.
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 01:49 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks for putting a smile on my face today Set. Smile Boosted me just enough to have the gas to do what needs to be done today. Smile Man I love this place.
0 Replies